Appendix Carry Holsters

I've recently picked up a new carry pistol, and want to try appendix carry. Any holster recommendations from those of you that use, or have used appendix carry holsters?

My brother-in-law has been using appendix carry for some time now, and he prefers it to other concealed carry positions. What is the experience of others here?

I don't know of any instructors using or teaching that position. Main reason is holstering
There are a few instructors that are very vocal against the appendix carry position. But the more I study, I find that there are plenty of very well known firearms instructors that use appendix carry as their primary carry position. It's just that they aren't as insistent that their method is right, and the other guy is wrong, as the ones who have their theoretical reasons for not liking appendix carry.

I tried carrying at the 4-5 o'clock position and didn't like it, for a number of reasons.

I am a big fan of AIWB holsters & Will suggest you Tenicor VELO4 holsters. The holster is incredibly thin.
Dang! I checked out their website, and they don't offer any holsters for an HK VP9SK. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Anyone else pleased with their AIWB holster?

The safety and speed of drawing & holstering is too often under-valued. For example, one should be able to use his daily carry holster throughout a typical weekend tactical training class. That can actually be a test for any holster one is considering. I find IWB at the 4:00 position to be best all around compromise: safety & speed of drawing & holstering, comfort and concealment. It's not the only way, but there's a reason it's so popular. Sure we can use different holsters for different situations but being proficient in all of them means not having too many, which means making some compromises.

That said, I recommend Kramer horsehide. Extreme quality and durability. One of them, I've used for daily carry for more than 20 years and it still functions like new. That includes hard usage like getting sweaty on long hikes, exposed to seawater, dirt, etc.

That said, I recommend Kramer horsehide. Extreme quality and durability. One of them, I've used for daily carry for more than 20 years and it still functions like new. That includes hard usage like getting sweaty on long hikes, exposed to seawater, dirt, etc.
I have yet to see a tactical trainer (I have seen a bunch) recommend anything except a Kydex holster.

I have yet to see a tactical trainer (I have seen a bunch) recommend anything except a Kydex holster.
I've got Kydex holsters too. Kramer's Horsehide is stiffer than cow leather, almost as stiff as Kydex with some of the same benefits: even when worn IWB it doesn't squish when the gun is removed so you can reholster with 1 hand, and has enough retention that you can shake it upside down and the gun won't fall out. They are some of the best holsters made. I first heard of Kramer back in the 1990s when an instructor at Gunsite recommended them. And a family member who was a courier for DoE also used and recommended Kramer.

Nothing wrong with Kydex if that's your thing. I mention this because some people don't know about Kramer horsehide.

True- I never have heard about Kramer.

Another reasons I like Kydex is that if they are the correct size is the firearm actually "snaps" into the holster.

Legacy, Vedder, MuddyRiver are brands that I have had positive experience with.

IWB Appendix is my preferred CC application.

If a person has any kind of belly, appendix carry doesn't work.

As with anything, practice is necessary.

Legacy, Vedder, MuddyRiver are brands that I have had positive experience with.

IWB Appendix is my preferred CC application.

If a person has any kind of belly, appendix carry doesn't work.

As with anything, practice is necessary.
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the Vedder and found a lot of very positive reviews, so I have ordered a Vedder Lighttuck. I'm anxious to see how it feels.

The safety and speed of drawing & holstering is too often under-valued. For example, one should be able to use his daily carry holster throughout a typical weekend tactical training class. That can actually be a test for any holster one is considering. I find IWB at the 4:00 position to be best all around compromise: safety & speed of drawing & holstering, comfort and concealment. It's not the only way, but there's a reason it's so popular. Sure we can use different holsters for different situations but being proficient in all of them means not having too many, which means making some compromises.

Of course safety is top priority. And speed is very important. I watched a YouTube video of Massad Ayoob, where he discusses the different concealed carry options. He specifically talked about being soundly beaten by another well respected competition shooter competition. Massad was shooting from the 4 o'clock position and the competitor was shooting from the appendix position. He admits that there is no question that, training being equal, appendix is the fastest.

Massad also addressed the safety concern with appendix. Again, a matter of training.
and btw, excellent choice going with the VP9.
Thanks. I like them. I have also tried the Walther PPQ, which is claimed to have one of the best triggers for the money on a striker fire. But I prefer the VP9. I'm going to be listing my PPQ on Utahgunexchange.

Andrews Custom Leather makes various styles aside from the usual 3/4 o'clock IWB/OWB. Price seems reasonable for what you get (Hand Made to Order by a Craftsman). I found them via u-tube, going to order one soon.

This looks very interesting:
http://www.andrewsleather.com/carjackerx.htm
carjackerx_b.jpg

carjackerx_a.jpg

carjackerx_c.jpg

Massad also addressed the safety concern with appendix. Again, a matter of training.
Massad impresses me not at all any more. Sure he is knowledgeable. Among some of his other questionable advice (for me). He asumes everyone has had 10'2 of thousands of training like him. She staits its always a good idea to have at least 30 rounds on you bc "you never know"

My problem is that most folks that carry have zero tactical training. I have had north of $4k training. What its taught me is your first shot better hit even if there are not a whole lot of people around. "Thou shalt not miss". As far as a gunfight... Again no training, go good result. People that have no training don't know what they don't know.

Well trained individuals could learn from him. Untrained will get into trouble.

I have been carrying AIWB for years. Been using a Remora holster with my HK VP9SK with Trijicon RMR. Very comfortable and stable. Advantages are ease of use. Any pants and any belt. No need for the thick leather belt. Disadvantages are difficulty in reholstering. Need to remove and replace.

Regardless of holster, practice and training are critical.

I have been carrying AIWB for years. Been using a Remora holster with my HK VP9SK with Trijicon RMR. Very comfortable and stable. Advantages are ease of use. Any pants and any belt. No need for the thick leather belt. Disadvantages are difficulty in reholstering. Need to remove and replace.

Regardless of holster, practice and training are critical.
Thanks for the recommendation. I am anxiously waiting for the Vedder Lighttuck that I've ordered. If it doesn't work out, I may take another look at the Remora.

Back