Apparently either SKF doesn't make their Bearings as good as they used to or RockAuto sold me a counterfeit.

Package never arrived, in fact the Fedex driver drove right past my house and smiled and waved without delivering a thing. Still says out for delivery.

I ordered one from NAPA for $70 dollars more. Going to pick it up in the morning. I frggin hate fedex. Filing a complaint after 8pm.

Newest delivery.
Screenshot_20220615-194544_Authenticate 20.jpg

Package never arrived, in fact the Fedex driver drove right past my house and smiled and waved without delivering a thing. Still says out for delivery.

I ordered one from NAPA for $70 dollars more. Going to pick it up in the morning. I frggin hate fedex. Filing a complaint after 8pm.

Was one Fedex truck Ground and the other Express? Because Fedex Ground and Fedex Express are two separate companies :unsure:

Was one Fedex truck Ground and the other Express? Because Fedex Ground and Fedex Express are two separate companies :unsure:
Yes. Started getting worried when 5:30 came around and ground never showed. Turns out the ground driver got stuck training someone Monday and got backed up like crazy.

But on the other hand Fedex had destroyed my packages, skipped my house and returned to the hub, and lost my package once as well.

Oddly enough this new hub rotates much more smoothly than the last one. I think that may be the cause of failure.

I'm also confused....are these codes inside the box or on the outside?

The verbiage about someone having scanned it before seems a dubious way to determine a fake????

Hub I pulled off had black grease coming out of it and metal shavings. All after less than 36 hrs drive time.

I'm honestly curious if any of their codes ever scan as "authentic"....?
No they do not seem to, even a regular front wheel bearing from the industrial bearing store that has been in business longer than I can remember and is an authorized dealer did not pass the app test. You have to take a picture of the box, labels and the front and rear of the part for them to look at.

Even with photos, it seems like it's a hard job

Came across this interesting blog post about bicycle bearings after reading this thread:
https://www.hambini.com/warning-counterfeit-b-grade-skf-and-ntn-bearings/

"NTN and SKF both use protective measures on some of their bearings to try and eliminate counterfeiting. They both have phone apps (SKF Authenticate and NTN Authentibear) that can be used to verify the integrity of the supply chain. Unfortunately, it is very easy to defeat these mechanisms as they consist of a QR code and a series of numbers. Copying this data and a hologram circumvents this protection. To add to the confusion, it should also be pointed out that a lot of genuine products from SKF/NTN and others do not have the up to date authentication markings.

The quality of the bearing counterfeiting is extremely good, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the original and the fake. The packaging is virtually identical and the bearing markings on the fake often look to be better than the original!

The only real downfall is in the materials, the fake bearings tend to be softer than the originals and they are dimensionally not as accurate as the original. It would be difficult for an end user to be able to tell the difference without some elaborate measuring equipment."

"Some estimates suggested that at one stage between 30 and 40% of SKF/FAG/NTN/NSK bearings sold in Europe were counterfeit or B grade.."

Even with photos, it seems like it's a hard job

Came across this interesting blog post about bicycle bearings after reading this thread:
https://www.hambini.com/warning-counterfeit-b-grade-skf-and-ntn-bearings/

"NTN and SKF both use protective measures on some of their bearings to try and eliminate counterfeiting. They both have phone apps (SKF Authenticate and NTN Authentibear) that can be used to verify the integrity of the supply chain. Unfortunately, it is very easy to defeat these mechanisms as they consist of a QR code and a series of numbers. Copying this data and a hologram circumvents this protection. To add to the confusion, it should also be pointed out that a lot of genuine products from SKF/NTN and others do not have the up to date authentication markings.

The quality of the bearing counterfeiting is extremely good, it is virtually impossible to tell the difference between the original and the fake. The packaging is virtually identical and the bearing markings on the fake often look to be better than the original!

The only real downfall is in the materials, the fake bearings tend to be softer than the originals and they are dimensionally not as accurate as the original. It would be difficult for an end user to be able to tell the difference without some elaborate measuring equipment."

"Some estimates suggested that at one stage between 30 and 40% of SKF/FAG/NTN/NSK bearings sold in Europe were counterfeit or B grade.."
As an avid cyclist and machinist I get a kick out of Hambini's YT stuff!!

Back