Apparently either SKF doesn't make their Bearings as good as they used to or RockAuto sold me a counterfeit.

They wanted me to buy a new one first and have me return the old one afterwards.
Isnt that pretty much how all online warranties work? Or their other option is to ship back the one you have and then they ship you another.

I have started to buy used OEM parts to replace failing parts. The after market stuff is getting really bad on quality!
I have an older Jeep on bigger tires. I used to be able to get a year out of Timken wheel bearings. They're just as bad as everything else. I just go to the junkyard and buy 4 or 5 at a time and keep them on hand.

I was unsuccessful using the WBA Bearing Authentication APP, a rep from KOYO told me that the APP worked when it first came out, however the counterfeiters already have a workaround.

I can tell you, Fastenal, Bearings Inc and others have sold **** substitute bearings over the years.

Fastenal mixes them in the box. They don't even check. No system at the gate. No requirements. No Bearing Authentication. No source follow through.

That is an interesting bulletin !

...SKF GHG contains many performance-enhancing additives, some of which are in the form of soft crystalline structures when the grease is new. These crystalline structures can create a rough, coarse feeling when the hub bearing is first turned by hand, before the bearing has experienced significant rotation....

...Even though the bearing may feel rough when it is initially rotated by hand, after rotating on the vehicle for a few minutes, the soft crystalline structures in the grease will break down into finer structures, and the bearing will rotate smoothly...

Fact of the matter is, automakers rely on the same companies that supply the aftermarket to design and manufacture OE parts, but most aftermarket offerings are built to a price point because Joe Average wants to avoid dropping $$$ on an OE part. Unfortunately, however, many OE parts are also junk due to corporate greed, and quality control seems to be nothing more than a sticker slapped on the part without any quality control.

Case in point, a Motorcraft branded wheel bearing I bought a couple of years ago, made by SKF, that was garbage right out the box. The replacement I got was also SKF, also manufactured in the same facility and is still in service. The difference was, I paid $30 more to get the same part in a brown Motorcraft box the first time round that the local dealer would not take back because they "didn't install it".

Timely thread... I was about to purchase these SKF hubs from RA for my Buick. I've read here they are one of the "good" manufacturers. Perhaps just a dud.
Nevertheless, I'm not sure what to buy anymore... Seems like quality is sporadic, even with the advances in tech and machining.

So I ordered a set of spark plugs from RA about a year ago. They were NGK iridium’s. The markings didn’t look right and they did not match the ones I pulled out. I had oreillys order a set to compare them with. They also did not match those. I believe they were counterfeit but NGK and RA were no help at all. I never ran them.

So I ordered a set of spark plugs from RA about a year ago. They were NGK iridium’s. The markings didn’t look right and they did not match the ones I pulled out. I had oreillys order a set to compare them with. They also did not match those. I believe they were counterfeit but NGK and RA were no help at all. I never ran them.
That’s probably changed, NGK provides identification information on the web and people here have posted they have had email communication with them about counterfeits.

SKF USED to be a brand I trusted- not for 20 years. I view my labour worth something. I would rather throw a used oem part in rather than china junk- and that's all it is. Timken is almost in the same category- I try to get nos oem, or nos aftermarket- preferably japamese, but I am starting to accept korean and taiwanese now too.

This is why I hate fedex.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-062251_FedEx.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-062251_FedEx.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 52
Back