Apocalypse movies

There was a new miniseries of Stephen King's The Stand a few years ago. I only saw the first episode because it's on one of the many streaming services I don't subscribe to.

It's a real commitment at 1000 pages or so, but the book is probably better than any of the video adaptations. I read it around 1990, and the first chapter, about Captain Trips, jumped vividly into my mind in about March of 2020.

I don't remember exactly how it ended, but I remember being a little disappointed. I think the rest was so good that it was hard to wrap up the story with the same power.

There was a new miniseries of Stephen King's The Stand a few years ago. I only saw the first episode because it's on one of the many streaming services I don't subscribe to.

It's a real commitment at 1000 pages or so, but the book is probably better than any of the video adaptations. I read it around 1990, and the first chapter, about Captain Trips, jumped vividly into my mind in about March of 2020.

I don't remember exactly how it ended, but I remember being a little disappointed. I think the rest was so good that it was hard to wrap up the story with the same power.
If you read it in 1990 you may have read the revised version that is over 300 pages longer than the 1976 edition.

Coming in March to a theatre near you. Civil War. What kind of American are you?

View attachment 205334
I saw the movie Civil war. It’s an entertaining movie with the main characters being a group of Press photographers. Lots of psychology but lots of close action battle scenes. It doesn’t deal much with the whys and hows but be satisfied that some American citizens did like some other citizens and battle lines were drawn. There were many absolutely shocking scenes. I didn’t see it at a IMAX theatre but the one I was at had a great Dolby system with incredible bass. Many critics have given it a high score,

Last edited:
Fallout is not a movie but movies mostly blow these days because they have to have the widest possible appeal without offending any subgroup or weirdo. Streaming services often do not try to but can get away with less wokey-woke garbage and Fallout is pretty good, especially coming from Amazon which is not exactly known for controversial content.

Fallout is a dystopian story based on a video game series that started in the '90s. This is an alternate history story in which the story's history matches ours until, WW2. In Fallout, the atomic age has progressed much quicker than it did in our universe. We get a 1940s and 1950s retro-futuristic aesthetic, known as Atom Punk but most technology is nuclear or fusion-powered. You do not have to know the games or have played the games to enjoy the series. The first three episodes were directed by Jonathan Nolan, the brother of Chris Nolan. I feel lucky when I find one show worth watching every year. The first season has dropped with a total of 8 episodes on Amazon Prime. I'd give this show 8/10.

Rated MA

I finished the show yesterday; it's a pretty good show. The setting is pretty good but not as dystopian as the games are. I'd give it a 3/10 if following the game story but 8/10 if the watcher isn't looking for lore accuracy. Hollywood in general though is bad at showing a very dystopian future in most of their movies.

I am enjoying the apocalypse shows/movies based off games though, even if they're not lore accurate. The Witcher started it and fallout has a good reception from viewers. There's suppose to be a series based off the Tom Clancy's The Division soon and word about Henry Cavill starring in a Warhammer 40k series.

I finished the show yesterday; it's a pretty good show. The setting is pretty good but not as dystopian as the games are. I'd give it a 3/10 if following the game story
The show does not follow any of the stories in the games. It's just set in the same world and uses some of the same atory elements.
but 8/10 if the watcher isn't looking for lore accuracy.
Adhering strictly to lore ends usually badly. A live action adaption should be its own thing.
Hollywood in general though is bad at showing a very dystopian future in most of their movies.
Nolan was involved with Westworld and the first season was very good. TV shows usually peak around Seaon 3 when everyone has found their footing. Obviously the majority of what gets made is trash. Big movies are no longer made for the domestic market. They need to appeal on the merit of being loud with action and can't have a complex story - they are the cinematic equivalent of junk food.
I am enjoying the apocalypse shows/movies based off games though, even if they're not lore accurate.
A live action show needs to succeed on story and characheters rather than on lore. Knowledge of lore is more for the game hardcore fans and they tend to be so obsessed that their expectations are hardly ever met. The normies don't care about lore. For a live action show a middleground has to be found and that's difficult. As a result nobody will be fully pleased but hopefully not everyone will be turned off. The latter is what happened with Rings of Power. The LOTR fans and the casual viewers disliked that show the same, and rightfully so. It's so bad one has to wonder how it ever got the green light.
The Witcher started it and fallout has a good reception from viewers.
I have never seen it.
There's suppose to be a series based off the Tom Clancy's The Division soon and word about Henry Cavill starring in a Warhammer 40k series.
Not really interested in any of that. Is Henry Cavill in everything now?

My biggest gripe with Fallout is how dumb all characters are. Nothing much makes a whole lot of sense. The things they say, how they react, the plot conveniences. I can suspend disbelief over their stupid tech and science, though because its all based on the games. It's entertaining enough and looks decent enough and at least they avoided the Mary Sue temptation most shows and movies have fallen prey to. The plot armor is strong with the leads and there's no sense of urgency or real danger and that bothers me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hope the creators of the show will play it a bit less safe and take more risks in the next season.

Last edited:
The show does not follow any of the stories in the games. It's just set in the same world and uses some of the same atory elements.

Adhering strictly to lore ends usually badly. A live action adaption should be its own thing.

Nolan was involved with Westworld and the first season was very good. TV shows usually peak around Seaon 3 when everyone has found their footing. Obviously the majority of what gets made is trash. Big movies are no longer made for the domestic market. They need to appeal on the merit of being loud with action and can't have a complex story - they are the cinematic equivalent of junk food.

A live action show needs to succeed on story and characheters rather than on lore. Knowledge of lore is more for the game hardcore fans and they tend to be so obsessed that their expectations are hardly ever met. The normies don't care about lore. For a live action show a middleground has to be found and that's difficult. As a result nobody will be fully pleased but hopefully not everyone will be turned off. The latter is what happened with Rings of Power. The LOTR fans and the casual viewers disliked that show the same, and rightfully so. It's so bad one has to wonder how it ever got the green light.

I have never seen it.

Not really interested in any of that. Is Henry Cavill in everything now?

My biggest gripe with Fallout is how dumb all characters are. Nothing much makes a whole lot of sense. The things they say, how they react, the plot conveniences. I can suspend disbelief over their stupid tech and science, though because its all based on the games. It's entertaining enough and looks decent enough and at least they avoided the Mary Sue temptation most shows and movies have fallen prey to. The plot armor is strong with the leads and there's no sense of urgency or real danger and that bothers me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hope the creators of the show will play it a bit less safe and take more risks in the next season.

Public theatrical takes needs to be lot more subtle on the extremes and present an easier to digest storyline when compared to a video game. It's kind of interesting because the Warhammer 40k community has been back and forth on a live action theatrical make of their universe with how Hollywood displays movies/shows based off games and lore; the hardcore lore followers vs the ones who understand that things need to be "watered down" (for the lack of better words) for the enjoyment of a wider viewership base.

Public theatrical takes needs to be lot more subtle on the extremes and present an easier to digest storyline when compared to a video game.
This is the case not only with video game adaptions. Whether adaptions are based on books, graphic novels or if a movie or show is based on original material, in order to be profitable mass appeal is required because of the current cost of movies. Can't offend every snowflake. That's of course a two-edged sword* and striking a balance between providing a humanistic perspective without being agenda-driven and having thought-provoking stories and characters is difficult. This goes not only for game adaptions but also for anime. A good example of a live-action version of anime that did not work is Cowboy Bebop while Oner Piece turned out rather good.

It's kind of interesting because the Warhammer 40k community has been back and forth on a live action theatrical make of their universe with how Hollywood displays movies/shows based off games and lore; the hardcore lore followers vs the ones who understand that things need to be "watered down" (for the lack of better words) for the enjoyment of a wider viewership base.
Striking a balance between mass appeal, fan appeal, and creativity is hard. Peter Jackson did a great job with the LOTR trilogy but failed miserably with The Hobbit.

Many of the great movies of the past would be impossible to make today because they would violate the sensitivities of too many people. You couldn't even make a TV show like Banacek today because it's politically and socially incorrect. 🤣

Reactions: Pew
Any good apocalypse movies out there? I just watched “ Leave the world behind “ on Netflix. It’s about two families ending up in the same house on Long Island when a blackout occurs and things get worse.
I didn't care much for Leave the world behind, YMMV. Can't think of any good ones at the moment, maybe Mad Max movies considering a gearhead forum?

Back