API SG? HUH???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a brand new 3500W Lifan Storm Series generator to have on hand for winter emergencies. Just need to cycle the furnace and the fridge a few times so nothing huge or overly fancy was needed. Good reviews, a good price, and a 3 year warranty sold me on it. It has a 6.5 HP OHV horizontal shaft engine that is a Honda style/clone engine as I understand from what I have read.

Anyway, it arrived today and as I was leafing through the manual I came across the oil section. I was stunned to see an extremely obsolete oil recommendation on a brand new item. The mfg says to use API SG 10W-30. HUH?

SG has been gone since the early 90's. What the heck am I supposed to run in it? Not like you can just go to the store and get SG oil anymore. I was thinking of a synthetic SJ or SL rated oil with the higher ZDDP levels. These small engines run hard and I want max protection. Royal Purple has an SJ rated straight 30 weight and they have SL rated 5W-30 and 10W-30. I imagine any of those would be ok but I am curious what some of you thought weight and rating wise.

Mainly( 95%+ )it will be used in winter. We seldom lose power for long so it is not a big deal in the warmer months but it is in the winter as I care for my 85 year old Dad. We lost power for 3 days 2 years ago and I can't have that happen again so I broke down and bought a generator finally.

I am wondering if the 5W or 10W 30 wouldn't be a better choice in cold temps than a straight 30? Also, do you agree that an SJ or SL oil is the ebst option based on the SG recommendation from the mfg?

Thanks.

I would say go for the RP 30 WGT. BUT call the manufacturer and make sure and you, being a BITOG'er, can see what they say about what that SG recommendation is all about. They could tell you SL is fine and just run the RP 10w30. Just give them a call.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I personally would use the same oil you use in your Ram 5.7 liter engine.

Thats 5W-20. They want a 30.

It's a typo or generic answer from years past,you know your self any currant API oil will work and give you long life outa your unit.

pick a good synthetic and go with it no worries my gen said the same thing(old spec).

do a few 5hr runs changing the oil out.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I would say go for the RP 30 WGT. BUT call the manufacturer and make sure and you, being a BITOG'er, can see what they say about what that SG recommendation is all about. They could tell you SL is fine and just run the RP 10w30. Just give them a call.

I have an e-mail in to see what they say as far as what API service level to go with( that I can actually get )but was curious what people here thought. I probably should have said I have contacted the mfg and am waiting for an answer.

I did ask while I was writing anyway why they are calling for an oil rated to an API service level that has been obsolete since 1993 on something made in 2010.
crackmeup2.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
It's a typo or generic answer from years past,you know your self any currant API oil will work and give you long life outa your unit.

pick a good synthetic and go with it no worries my gen said the same thing(old spec).

do a few 5hr runs changing the oil out.

Actually, Lifan is new(er) to the US market( been around overseas for a bit )and this is a new product and manual. Hasn't been around long enough for SJ or SL let alone SG. I believe this current model I bought has only been around for approx 2 years. I suppose the engine design is older but the manual info would not be very old is my point.

I was wondering about the wear protection issues with SM/SN due to lower ZDDP in this engine if it is designed for high levels of those additives which is why I am wondering if SJ/SL would be better? Before I do anything I just want to hear what the mfg has to say as to why they are calling for SG and if there is a reason for it or just as you say some old reason.

I posted here for something to talk about.

Last edited:
Any oil of correct viscosity will do. Just change it as per required intervals and don't sweat it. Provided the engine is of decent quality and properly assembled, it will last a long time with basic maintenance.

Under stood if your worried about wear think HDEO,10w30 or 5w40

but if this is a modern engine built in todays time i can't see it being any different then any other unless it's some fancy design engine? but i am unfamiliar with this model.

let us know the reply..

im running Amsoil ACD in mine witch is loaded with ZDDP

Originally Posted By: daman
Under stood if your worried about wear think HDEO,10w30 or 5w40

but if this is a modern engine built in todays time i can't see it being any different then any other unless it's some fancy design engine? but i am unfamiliar with this model.

let us know the reply..

im running Amsoil ACD in mine witch is loaded with ZDDP

I've got a new Champion generator with a similar 6.5 h.p. Honda clone. Nothing special about them. Great little engine though.

Honda generator motors are some of the best so a motor built to the same apporox design should, in theory anyway, be good. What feedback I have been able to find on LIFAN generators has been excellent. Especially with the RV crowd which is very hard to please. Being a new product to the US market, and no personal experience with them, I did research them as best I could and found no red flags so I am trying it out.

Ah ya...

i picked up a Briggs & Stratton Pro Series 8,125/6,500 Rated Watts for a great price two years ago has the Briggs & Stratton vanguard commercial OHV 13 HP engine that has been nothing but outstanding, It's good to have a reliable tuff gen.

41P%2B7CYJyEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Harbor Freight sells this same engine, marketed under the name "Greyhound". It's built by Lifan in china. (They also make an 11 and 13 HP model) The manual for the 6.5 HP engine just says 10w30 above 32F and 5w30 under. Nothing special just "SAE 10w30".

Pick up a gallon of Rotella T5 Synthetic blend 10w30 at Walmart for $11.50

It's CJ4/SM rated and has 1200 ppm Zinc / 1000 ppm Phosphorus.

The jug will last you 6-8 oil changes. Do a couple of short intervals to wash the casting debris and shavings out of the engine, then change it once a year.

Isn't the SG rating the LAST rating before they began playing games with the ZDDP levels in oil?
I would think that a splash lubed engine could use as much ZDDP as possible.
Maybe thats the reason they want an SG.
Those pesky Chinese engineers come here and go to school and learn the best ways to do things and all the ways we're killing our economy and ourselves with all the stupid EPA laws and green thinking. Then they go back to China and do things the best way. Not the Green way.
Maybe they know high ZDDP will make that engine last.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Just a thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back