Anything goes in marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ran across this add for a Fram air filter for a H2 Hummer
Quote:
FRAM EXTRA LIFE AIR FILTER, BEIGE -- 7.21 in. height, 4.75 in. minor inlet diameter, 11.1 in. major outlet diameter, 6 in. minor outlet diameter, 9.75 in. minor outlet diameter; Dry element; Special configuration style; Made of high quality paper material; The first air filter to utilize two integral filtering elements; Protects the engine and provides more airflow for improved performance; Helps prevent damaging particles from entering the engine and causing increased engine wear; Lasts 50 percent longer and stops 50 percent more dirt than any other brand.

Very interesting, especially since it clearly shows the Donaldson logo. So obviously Donaldson makes it for them, as it does for many other brands. But since when did the Fram label make it 50% better?

AHCA9900.jpg

Whoa. I'm just wondering how a filter can stop 50% more dirt than a competing filter that already stops 90-something % or so, even if it can stay in use 50% longer?

Actually the statement for the PowerCore is reasonable. It does not use traditional paper that absorbs the dirt. It uses fluted channels that change the direction. The basic model shown is 99.9% efficient.
What I like is the kit that is adaptable to many SUV's has a built-in pre-filter with 12 little turbines that take out something like 95% of the dust before it gets to the filter part.

I haven't put this page on the english site, but you can look at the pictures and see how I've done it on a variety of pickups. But get the full kit. Makes it easy and the kit version comes with 12 little turbines in front of it to take out more than 90% of the dirt before it gets to the filter section. You can also see one in the videos I posted with the Rallys. I have one in the car that is in first place for the season. The one I put in my Toyota T100 last October now has 19,500 miles on it, mostly dirt roads. It weights 25 grams more than it did when I put it in, and holds 1600 grams before restricting airflow.

Donaldson%20PowerCore%20con%20fondo_1.jpg

Various pics of instalations

stacks_image_280_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: tropic
Whoa. I'm just wondering how a filter can stop 50% more dirt than a competing filter that already stops 90-something % or so, even if it can stay in use 50% longer?

Tiny elves actually pull the extra dirt back out of your engine.

Depends to what the "50% more" claim is referring. If one filter captures 90% of the total dirt entering a system, and another captures 95% of the total dirt entering, then the second filter can claim to stop 50% more (of the 10% of the total uncaptured) dirt that bypasses the first filter. Even though that 50% is only 5% of the total dirt entering the system.

Something similar is happening with the "8x less wear than Mobil 1" that Castrol Edge claims.

Originally Posted By: Samilcar

Depends to what the "50% more" claim is referring. If one filter captures 90% of the total dirt entering a system, and another captures 95% of the total dirt entering, then the second filter can claim to stop 50% more (of the 10% of the total uncaptured) dirt that bypasses the first filter. Even though that 50% is only 5% of the total dirt entering the system.

Something similar is happening with the "8x less wear than Mobil 1" that Castrol Edge claims.

Yeah, thats how they are figuring it. Sneaky.

But they are putting their label on the Donaldson product and then saying it is 50% better.

Originally Posted By: widman
But they are putting their label on the Donaldson product and then saying it is 50% better.

Because nobody knows Donaldson. I bet if I called around town looking for a Donaldson filter I would get a, "Who?"
So, I guess Fram figures of the brands people would think of, it is 50% better... Is it right? No. But as long as they think they can get away with it, thats the way it will stay.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back