Anyone with an EV that lives in extreme cold?

Imagine sitting in a traffic jam on a major highway up north for a couple of days in your EV. It's a heavy, lumbering vehicle, and now they will come out with a diesel generator and patiently charge it for you while you're freezing. This is life, this progress. This is saving the environment, the planet, and Joly Polar Bear. Welcome to the 21st century, where we drive inside a larger version of our smartphones.

Except the heat pump cars do pretty well in regular winter weather conditions
Bjorn Nylan figured something like 36 hours just keeping it warm going nowhere.

They're toys. I would never buy one.

View attachment 85048

The hypocrisy...

Not sure what the deal is, but that's really stupid that someone couldn't just call AAA for tow truck to a nearby charging station. It's not much different than people who run out of gas. Only these give ample warning about when they're ready to shut down. I know people who don't take the low fuel warning seriously and needed help to get gas.

But it's not that hard to make sure that one is charged. It's really not.

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking for those on here that actually own one to chime in. I know there is a ton of info on Youtube and such, just nice to hear it from actual owners on here.

Thanks for all the replies. I was looking for those on here that actually own one to chime in. I know there is a ton of info on Youtube and such, just nice to hear it from actual owners on here.
May I please ask: why would you want one? Or was the question asked just out of curiosity? Thank you.

I despise the cold, so l live in Florida. :)

However, I do have a lot of fun jumping around the globe due to my very long aviation career, and I have plenty of experience in bitterly cold locations. It's good to remember that the vast majority of combustion engines (of all types, piston, diesel/gas 2-stroke/4 stroke, turbine, etc) also need to be plugged in and/or warmed in such climates. One exception may be purpose built small gas turbines.

I did provide some applicable battery insight in my post above. There is "no magic battery", lithium batteries must be well managed in cold use. If you plan on using battery powered anything in extreme cold, make sure you understand what the built in systems do, how long they take to heat the battery before use and especially before charging. All manufacturers are different, I believe I know who does it best, but recently learned that BMW had some pretty epic battery management systems too. It may in fact be that you get what you pay for.

Only you can determine whether it will work and hold up in your situation. An informed choice is a good one.

Again:
40 below = 50% capacity. 40 below is also where charging rapidly ruins an un-warmed battery.
Above freezing is where lithium batteries want to be.
Remember, cold slows chemical reactions, and batteries are electrochemical energy storage.

Last edited:
I'm in NC and was just curious. With all the extreme cold in the north, I was wondering how EV's would do.
My advice for anyone up north is to install a class 3 trailer hitch and get a trailer with a diesel power generator. Tesla calls it the "Mobile Charger." It doesn't get any greener than that. Save the planet by going electric. Oh, the hypocrisy!

1642649150276.png

I’m not familiar with the models, but my neighbor has a Tesla that’s at least three years old as his only vehicle, and several people I work with drive them.

I’ve heard of no problems nor have I observed any less driving than normal. In the past two weeks we have had several nights around -15 to -20 Fahrenheit, and all of the cars appeared to be being driven as normal.

My coworker had a model S for 6 months before selling it...we all told him not to do it but he did anyways and sure enough regretted it for the following as predicted: Didn't like the range hit in the winter (he experienced around a 40-50% decrease when it got really cold) and didn't have a good solution for charging either as he only has 120V at his apartment building. We just got our first superchargers installed less than a year ago. His had the older style electric heater and I've heard the new heat pump models do suck way less battery on the preheat. He traded it on an AT4 Sierra lol.

There'll be a learning curve involving battery usage.

No sense in going all, "third grade stupid" if you spot a picture of a discharged car. Echoes of "I don't want no car I can't tune up".

Hypocrisy is one thing we have in abundance.

I often wonder about battery run time in the winter. Something has to power the heater during winter use.
Yes, the battery powers a heat pump, in Tesla's. Then has aux electric if the heat pump cant keep up, it does effect battery charge.
Im in favor of energy efficient gasoline.. :eek:)

I doubt very much EV's have an issue with cold. Lithium batteries lose power when cold but once they start being used they warm up to normal temperature.

Yeah there's going to be a learning curve. Certainly some early adopters might regret it. But with a lot of electronics, there's got to be ways to do things such as program the vehicle to heat the batteries in a cold morning. They're already capable of being programmed when there time of use electricity rates. That would be a reasonable thing to do if there's something like an outdoor car port. My neighbor has a charger outside and he parks his EV in the driveway, so having it plugged in all the time and then programmed to do the bulk of charging at some point then maybe programmed to heat it up and top off any self-discharge in the morning would seem to be achievable.

Back