Anyone use Rim clamp adapters on a tire machine?

Not sure if this is the best forum to post this question. I have a John Bean EHP system 2 tire changer with the rotary table and rim clamp. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the adapters to mount smaller tires like ATV or Lawn tractor tires/Rims? Smallest rim I need to mess with so far is 6". I see several sellers on the bay, but none so far show them mounted on the clamps on a tire changer. Bay # 275913657449 if anyone wants to see what I am talking about. Do they have a universal fit?

I have the OE equivalent adapter for Coats machine. Mine is spring loaded to secure adapter over jaw. Not sure if that’s what the knobs are for with these aftermarket. The rubber scratch preventer are useful and did a ton of ATV and motorcycle wheels and adapters work as they should. I would verify with the seller if it fits first though.

Those adapters that you show from E-bay are for motorcycle wheels. They use them to raise the wheel off of the table because motorcycle wheels have the brake rotors bolted to them. I have a machine similar to yours and I am able to do my motorcycle tires on the machine without the motorcycle adapters. The rotors clear the table just fine.

These are not adapters that will make a 13" minimum diameter clamp machine accept a 6" wheel. I have never seen a pneumatic automotive style tire machine that accepts such small wheels. There are several manual tire changers for mower size wheels but they seem to be very difficult to use. Watching videos of people using them on youtube conjures thoughts of a monkey and a football if you know what I mean.

Those adapters that you show from E-bay are for motorcycle wheels. They use them to raise the wheel off of the table because motorcycle wheels have the brake rotors bolted to them. I have a machine similar to yours and I am able to do my motorcycle tires on the machine without the motorcycle adapters. The rotors clear the table just fine.

These are not adapters that will make a 13" minimum diameter clamp machine accept a 6" wheel. I have never seen a pneumatic automotive style tire machine that accepts such small wheels. There are several manual tire changers for mower size wheels but they seem to be very difficult to use. Watching videos of people using them on youtube conjures thoughts of a monkey and a football if you know what I mean.
The ad said for ATV tires. (I could not see how they would make it much smaller. My ATV tires are 8" and larger. I was unclear how they would work. I looked a few years ago and thought I seen some reversible adapters that would fit larger and smaller rims, (how you flipped them) but not sure where I seen them.

Thanks for all the info. At least I can use the bead popper to give me a good start. Not like a I do many small rims, but help would be nice.

You'll need an adapter that is adjustable and will give a range of decreasing and increasing diameters. They're going to be more expensive than just the adapters that raise the clamping diameter a few inches above the table.

Here's an example of what you'd need but they're $300 and the seller says they only guarantee they'll fit their specific brand of machine.

1716774264296.jpg

You'll need an adapter that is adjustable and will give a range of decreasing and increasing diameters. They're going to be more expensive than just the adapters that raise the clamping diameter a few inches above the table.
Thanks for pointing me the right way!! (Lets see if I can post some pictures.)

I bought a set of these from Amazon. I am pretty good at making things work. These had a pin to make them move in and out. I thought I could at least modify them to make them work for smaller rims.

tire rim clamp zon.JPG

Then I found out with the John Bean tire machine has a lock pin to move the clamps out for larger diameter rims. No way these would fit without modifying them. So a little bit of machining got them to fit.

tire clamp.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone wants a picture installed... It can clamp down to 4-1/2". They seem very secure. Thanks all.

tire clamp machine.jpg

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make these work. I've always just man-handled my lawn mower wheels but I don't believe my tire machine will even do a 13" car wheel. I might follow your lead and get something like yours and make the modification.

Now you have a new toy for the weekend :)

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make these work. I've always just man-handled my lawn mower wheels but I don't believe my tire machine will even do a 13" car wheel. I might follow your lead and get something like yours and make the modification.

Now you have a new toy for the weekend :)
This one did decrease the rim size about 2-1/2" on each clamp. 5+ inches rim size. If your machine can just do a drop in fit, it may not take much work at all to get it to fit.

My original plan is if the clamp size was still to large, I was going to take a piece of steel 1/8" by 1-1/2 and a few inches long. Then either weld or bolt to the top of the clamp. Then remount the hold down finger to it.

Yea, another tool for the garage!!!

Back