Anyone use Redline shockproof in a PTU?

Anyone ever use the light shockproof in any PTUs? This is in a Volvo that that gets tracked a bit. Sees no low temps. Factory fill is 75 or 80/90. I switched to SV 80/90. This thing gets HOT, 300f is very common. Probably part of the reason is that it splits power 50/50 in sport mode, so its loading it pretty hard. Gets hot enough you can smell the gear oil stinking/off gassing out the vent after a 30min track stint. It turned the SV quite dark after 3 stints. I'll do a UOA when I change it, but I was going to step to SV 75/110, but I wonder if the light SP would be better?

I'd use the heavy shockproof with those temps and loads.
I've been using it in a HD trans. and my snowmobile chaincases for a long time now. HD shifts quieter and in the snowmobiles chainwear has reduced quite a bit, less adjustment needed if any for example. Snowmobiles are putting 135hp through a double row chain to drive the track and they see a tremendous amount of stress with ''slip and grab'' on snow.
It will ''gas off'' when it gets hot in both usages but color and cleanliness is way better on maint. intervals than anything else I've tried.
  • Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90

Anyone ever use the light shockproof in any PTUs? This is in a Volvo that that gets tracked a bit. Sees no low temps. Factory fill is 75 or 80/90. I switched to SV 80/90. This thing gets HOT, 300f is very common. Probably part of the reason is that it splits power 50/50 in sport mode, so its loading it pretty hard. Gets hot enough you can smell the gear oil stinking/off gassing out the vent after a 30min track stint. It turned the SV quite dark after 3 stints. I'll do a UOA when I change it, but I was going to step to SV 75/110, but I wonder if the light SP would be better?
I would call Redline oil and ask. They are really good at giving advice.
Red Line Synthetic Oil
6100 Egret Court Benicia, CA 94510
Phone: (707) 745-6100 or (800) 624-7958
Fax: (707) 745-3214

I'll do a UOA when I change it, but I was going to step to SV 75/110, but I wonder if the light SP would be better?
I wonder if there is something wrong wit the way that ptu/diff is setup internally (shims, clearances)? The UOA will show that probably.

I'd use the heavy shockproof with those temps and loads.
I've been using it in a HD trans. and my snowmobile chaincases for a long time now. HD shifts quieter and in the snowmobiles chainwear has reduced quite a bit, less adjustment needed if any for example. Snowmobiles are putting 135hp through a double row chain to drive the track and they see a tremendous amount of stress with ''slip and grab'' on snow.
It will ''gas off'' when it gets hot in both usages but color and cleanliness is way better on maint. intervals than anything else I've tried.
  • Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90
Ya I have 2019 Gade 850....a fair bit of power through that little chain!

I wonder if there is something wrong wit the way that ptu/diff is setup internally (shims, clearances)? The UOA will show that probably.
Nah these things all get hot, im sure its fine. Its probably undersized and was never really designed to have track use on a 400hp car

Nah these things all get hot, im sure its fine. Its probably undersized and was never really designed to have track use on a 400hp car
In my differential and engine I used nano lubricants, to lower the friction below what oils provide.
TriboTEX in the engine. They have a diff version too:
https://shop.tribotex.com/products/differential

Personally, I mixed some WS2 into my 75W-110 (in my differential and transfer case). But... I am not a track user:

Last edited:
In my differential and engine I used nano lubricants, to lower the friction below what oils provide.
TriboTEX in the engine. They have a diff version too:
https://shop.tribotex.com/products/differential

Personally, I mixed some WS2 into my 75W-110 (in my differential and transfer case). But... I am not a track user:
Interesting! I may give that a try

Back