Wow shockproof went bad fast....

Drained the clean SV75/90 out and put in shockproof light before a track day last weekend, hoping to drop tcase temps a bit, as it runs hot. Roughly 3hr on track/300k klms and it came out looking like this....stuff on filter.....can see the spilled fresh SP blue below in pan. I'll run a few really quick drains to flush it out. If I wasn't so shocked by what was draining out, I would have grabbed some for a test. Whats the best 75/140 out there, i guess its next......and maybe some kind of ducting up to tcase. Guess it doesn't like the 50/50 split at track, fluid looks mint if just regular driving. This is the 15 V60 in sig.

Attachments

• 20210625_075504.jpg
    20210625_075504.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 95
Amsoil severe gear would be my go-to, but ive had good service from mobile 1 and valvoline synthetic gear lubes as well. I’ll say that M1 seemed to drain out thinner than it went in, so while decent for street use I’d trust the amsoil more. The severe gear formulation has a heavier add pack from what I understand. It’s still affordable. ive used it in towing service and it’s been stout oil even towing at the edge of capacity.

do you think there’s anything else going on? Is this a haldex unit? I wonder if that’s pretty dark for gear lube under such short, even if intense, use.

I have added nano WS2 to the diff fluid (in the last 1/2 qt, before I poured it in).
After some 300 miles, I have checked with a thermal gun and it lowered my temps... Probably it did attached indeed to the metal. Didn't open it to see how it looks.

What does the application spec?
Shockproof is probably not the right for the application if there are any friction/clutches in the gear oil

Also esters could have been cleaning house.

Of course since you were going 100000 km/h maybe it was your speed ;)
Roughly 3hr on track/300k klms

Amsoil severe gear would be my go-to, but ive had good service from mobile 1 and valvoline synthetic gear lubes as well. I’ll say that M1 seemed to drain out thinner than it went in, so while decent for street use I’d trust the amsoil more. The severe gear formulation has a heavier add pack from what I understand. It’s still affordable. ive used it in towing service and it’s been stout oil even towing at the edge of capacity.

do you think there’s anything else going on? Is this a haldex unit? I wonder if that’s pretty dark for gear lube under such short, even if intense, use.
Well its still quiet so that a good sign....lol.....no its strictly a gearcase....ptu/tcase/volvo calls it angle gear.

What does the application spec?
Shockproof is probably not the right for the application if there are any friction/clutches in the gear oil

Also esters could have been cleaning house.

Of course since you were going 100000 km/h maybe it was your speed ;)
Specs volvo 80/90.....no one seems to know if its syn or not. No clutch of any kind. Strictly a ptu/tranfer case....or angle gear as volvo calls it. No cleaning as it was spotless inside before this. I'll flush a few times, then stick camera in fill hole.

so this isnt the part of the awd that uses hydraulic pump to apply clutches? ie haldex unit?

ok so not haldex. this is a sealed 90 degree PTO shaft that sits in its own fluid. They are known in Ford’s to die painful deaths from lack of care and feeding.

in this application, I would highly suggest the 140wt amsoil severe gear.

ok so not haldex. this is a sealed 90 degree PTO shaft that sits in its own fluid. They are known in Ford’s to die painful deaths from lack of care and feeding.

in this application, I would highly suggest the 140wt amsoil severe gear.
Ya Ill try that and see how it holds up.

Severe Gear works better than anything Ive used.

This bad boy pushes 5300LB with 700HP through two 90's and it bites real hard with a 4 blade stainless prop creating tremendous shock running across waves.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.jpeg
    IMG_1600.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1606.jpeg
    IMG_1606.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 12
Change it out again after 100 miles and it looked good....also clean inside.....put some plain syn 80/90 in it, and will swap out to sg 75/140 shortly

Back