Anyone use a headlamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of buying one to use for all sorts of work around the house where it would be nice to have two free hands, but good light on the task at hand.

I'm just wondering if anyone could recommend a model. Most reviews on Amazon or outdoorsman sites focus on hiking use rather than looking into an engine bay or working in an attic.

I have a litle one, biught it over at 4sevens. It is LED, uses one rechargable AA, and lasts a long time. May have been a fenix brand?

It is barely bigger than a AA battery!

I got a couple of them.

Use 'em for Catfishin', Ice Fishing, etc.

Most all should be good; just make sure it's got a few levels & emergency too.

I use an Energizer brand 5-led head lamp every day at work. I love it and have bought it about three times (the lesson being: don't drop it!) I don't think it's more fragile than others - when I break it we're talking 10+ feet onto concrete slab. I work in HVAC so I need to see in dark places all the time. IIRC it was $15 at Wal Mart.

I bought a cheapo from Wally World. Paid about $5 for it at the time. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Came in handy the other day when I was doing some plumbing underneath a bathroom sink.

I bought a cheapie, $1.95 inc. Free shipping, from China.
Had it over a year now, Works great!

Four settings, one, Five and Ten LEDs plus Flash.

I got one energizer ,(got it for nigh use and Fishing, but use it working on everything now), pros plenty bright,comfy enough----- ,con on my model you have to keep pushing the button switch to get to all leds lit, red being 1st, try them first then buy the one you really find practical and useful- I have heard of Pelican -good rep.

I've Pelican and Petzl. The Pelican is pretty old, still works great, but it is bulky and heavy. I'm sure the newest models are better in that regard. Petzl is probably the best, IMO, and they have quite a few models but they're pretty spendy.

That being said, I'd give one of those Energizer ones from Wally world a shot if I was going to buy one tomorrow.

I have a Princeton Quad-its awesome; made in the US, and really bright, waterproof and has held up to a lot of use and abuse.

I have a 600 lumen rechargeable with a head mount, but I almost never use it, the Princeton is good enough for most situations except bike riding.

Zebralight H600w.
I also have a H502w, which is a pure flood, for close-up tasks. The H600w with a layer of Scotch tape makes it close to the flood of the H502w.
But, you have to go all-in with an Xtar WP6 18650 charger and a few 18650 Li rechargeable batteries.

I have Petzl, Energizer, and Princeton TEC headlamps. Nothing beats this COAST headlamp for working on cars or outdoor nightime hiking:

Coast Headlamp

It is about $40 at your local Lowes hardware store. Bright white light and variable intensity and beam width.

Once you have used a neutral tint LED, you will never accept regular tint. Unfortunately, your choices are then limited and expensive.

Everybody should try at least one neutral tin LED light.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back