Anyone running RLI Biosyn in a motorcycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to run RLI Biosyn in the GL1800 after I complete my AutoRx treatment. I'll be running an EAO oil filter and an EAA air filter and attempting to see how far this oil can go.

I've been doing a lot of searching and Terry had suggested that a Harley should use the thinnest version allowed for the application. I am wondering if this would be the same for a shared sump. The GL1800 is not known for its shift quality, though I am luckier than most in that respect. The GL1800 can run a 30, but I am wondering if the 40 more traditionally run would give better shifting.

Also, is anyone reselling the RLI oils in smaller quantitys, specifically, the gear oil. I'd like to try out the gear oil in all my vehicles, but 5 gallons would be way over what I need.

Last edited:
Just got the bike so I'm unsure what is currently in it, but I'd assume a 40. I'll be running Rotella T 15W40 for the "rinse" oil.

I'm unsure yet what I'll be running yet. I'm sent an email to Terry to get his suggestion.

Rotella is a great oil, a lot of bikers use it. Some reports have up to 8K on the run with great results. Uoa's are posted as you have probably seen

Last edited:
I'll be running the Rotella as a rinse oil, for 1k, then switching to the RLI.

I'm shooting for 15k or more on the RLI. I just want to see what it can do.

Terry suggested I use the 5W40 and we'll go from there.

Good luck!

How long will it take you to rack up that many miles? being in TX I am sure year round riding id doable. (jealousy here)

Should take about a year. I'll be riding the Wing instead of driving, as much as possible, plus taking trips.

I'm hoping to move to the San Francisco Bay area soon though. Year round riding there as well...

I've started running RLI's SAE40 in my KLR650. I haven't done a UOA yet, though, as my bike's sprung a leak and I need to replace a gasket and get a clean OCI first. So far the performance has been quite good with good shift feel. The real proof will be if it can hold its viscosity for more than 1,500 miles; nothing else has been able to (including M1, Red Line, and both versions of Rotella).

I finally put the RLI 5W40 in the GL1800, as well as the Burgman 650.

Shifting is better with the RLI than it was with the Coastal 15W40 I had in it before., which was MUCH better than the 10W30 Honda oil that was in it before that.

In the Burgman, I put it in the engine and in the seperate CVT transmission. I noticed that both the engine and the transmission are much quieter than they were with the Motul that the previous owner had put in it.

Looking like I'm not going to have much time off through the rest of the year, working 21/7s offshore. I plan on doing a serious run early next year though. The Wing has new rubber and is just crying out for the open road. I'm planning to make a run up to the Blue Ridge parkway and back, then get an analysis through Terry. That will probably be in February though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back