Anyone running Nissan Matic-D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have it in my I35 only because I had extra bottles to use up. Nissan transmissions, especially the 4-spd auto are known to be hard on fluid and Matic-D overall is pretty lackluster. What're others' opinions/experiences with it?

999mp-aa100p_nissan_atf_matic-d_enl.jpg

Last edited:
I used it in my Nissan PathFiner early in its career.

Nothing wrong with it as it is basically a DexronIII/Merc oil.

There are better ATF's available today, such as the DexronVI's and the MaxLife.

Whatever you use, I recommend you change the fluid at 30k intervals using Drain and Fill methods.

My Pathfinder also had a factory fill of Matic D.

I don't think it's necessary to use, as MolaKule said above. I currently run Castrol Import Multi Vehicle (since renamed to Castrol Transmax Import) and I am happy with the shift quality. I also have an auxiliary cooler plumbed after the stock cooler and a Magnefine in-line filter afterwards. Currently have 146.5k miles, fluid has been in use for about 17.5k miles.

My Maxima shifts very nicely with Amsoil ATF even though the fluid has 45k miles on it now. Money is tight so I can't justify Amsoil right now. I'm thinking about putting ST Dex VI or Maxlife in it soon.

I'm supposed to use it in my Sentra. Never have, and 277,000 miles later trans is perfect, thanks to a regular diet M1 ATF (no I can't prove the M1 saved my transmission from an early death, so don't ask for it).

I've always read that it's just run of the mill fluid; I've even seen Nissan manuals say it's alright to use basic Dex III/Merc fluid. My current pick is Castrol IMV/Transmax.

Last edited:
Like others have said, matic d is dex3.
I used Dex6 in my wifes Quest that specs matic d and the shift quality was not good, shifted very hard into overdrive. Currently running Valvoline Import Multi vehicle atf and it shifts perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back