Anyone running EBC Greenstuff pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since the OEM pads in my A4 are falling apart (pad separated from backing plate and a large piece broke off, less than 50% worn though), I'm going to get a new set of pads - street use only. I've been trying to see what's available around here. Out of those (Ferodo, Textar, Lucas, EBC), I'm only familiar with EBC and have heard mostly good things about them.

I'll keep the stock rotors for now and will get the EBC Green on all 4 corners next week most likely. Anyone else running these with success?

I have friends who ran both Jap and Euro cars with EBC pads and all had warped OEM rotors. Apparently EBC pads eat up OEM rotors and some aftermarket ones too.

Don't take this as a marketing ploy (I don't sell EBC stuff) but many have agreed that EBC pads goes best with EBC rotors

Yeah, I'm actually planning on upgrading to larger rotors (from EBC possibly) sometime next year, too.

I did read about a couple of cases where OEM rotors got warped, but that was due to people driving the car really hard, at the track. Most other responses from casual street A4 drivers were positive.

Over on the SaabNet BB, EBCs have a strong following because they don't create nearly as much dust as the OEM pads. I'm not sure about rotor wear, but several recent users have blamed their warped rotors on their new EBC pads. Most of the complaints seem to accompany new "discount" rotors, or turned OEM rotors ...

For what it's worth, they were real hot on the tt forum at the AudiWorld web site a year or two ago. The enthusiasm seemed to disappear real quick though. You may want to check the archives there.

Had them on a SpecV Sentra for about 5K. Used them along with the EBC rotors. No problems other than they lie when it comes to "less dust". Granted its Kevlar dust and fairly easy to clean but the wheels got dirty very quickly. Braking bite and modulation improved greatly. They made a "graunching" noise when used really hard but no increased wear, fading or "warping".

I say over where you are, try to find some SBS, specifically the blue touring pad. I've heard good things about them from European sources and they don't seem to have any of the mentioned idiosyncracies of the EBCs. And they work equally as well with OEM or aftermarket rotors.

My friend with an S4 Avant recently put a set of Stoptech rotors and calipers on the front. I think there is still a smudgemark on his windshield where my face was planted after a hard stop
grin.gif
. VERY nice set-up.

I have heard the same thing at the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6 forums regarding EBC causing rotor warping. I have Hawk HPS (high performance street) pads on my MX6, and they greatly improved the stopping power and feel over the factory Ferodo made pads. I installed new Brembo rotors at the same time. These pads work well cold and do not dust excessively. Available at the TireRack.com web page or RaceShopper.com
I have Performance Friction pads on my Explorer and do not think they have the stopping power of the Hawks, but much of that could be the Explorer brake design.....

I really don't want to be a contributor to the EBC bash session because I've never used them. But, I work with a guy who used them on his VW Beetle and, yes, he did experience the premature warped rotor problem. First he used them with his stock rotors and they were warped within 6 months. So he gets some big$$ slotted rotors and warped them within 4 months. He got rid of the EBCs and his latest set of rotors have been OK for the past year.
Personally, I like PBR/Axxis. I'm using the standard Deluxe/organic pads on my Volvo and they're great. Low dust, good stopping ability, and fantastic durability. They're not street racer pads but they suit my needs just fine. I know PBR offers a "Metal Master" and "Ultimate Ceramic" line of pads, but I've never tried them.

When I recently did a complete brake job on my 2000 Acura 3.2TL, I installed EBC Greenstuff pads along with KVR Performance drilled rotors and Goodridge stainless steel lines. So far, with ~6K miles on them, I'm very pleased. I read that these pads are easy on the rotors and are low dust, that's why I bought them. Dust hasn't been a problem and I don't detect any signs of rotor warping (these cars have had so much trouble with warped rotors that there's a TSB or maybe even a recall on them).
I recommend them.
fruit.gif

Please use Hawk HP Street Ferro Carbon Pads.

A)Even hard driven they last a LONG time

B)Hawks are very EASY on the rotor (which are not the cheapest things to replace when they thin out and warp)

C)You will definately notice better braking over OEM.

Yes, I stand on that point. Please email the company for braking data by an independent test company.

D) Other than EBC, Metal Master, and Wagner Thermo-Quiet Pads are also products you may want to look into. Personally, stay away from Raybestos Ceramic Quiet Stops, even with a granny driving they burn out in MONTHS (bad)

My advice, and to reiterate, give Hawk a chance on your ride. Thank me later-

Yes sir got the green ones in my Mazda Turbo. Been in a long time too. Best pads ever and I've tried plenty after owning some 25 cars. Absolutely no rotor warping and thats with very thin rotors which tend to warp easily. Pads are great cold but far less fade when hot. Not cheap but you get what you pay for!

Has anyone here actually used the Axxis/PBR Ultimates. I have used Metal Masters in the past for low dust and long life, but they use up the rotors fast.

I cant decide between EBC Greenstuff and Axxis Ultimate. This is for a BMW 325i and will be used with Brembo stock-type rotors. Pads with carbon/graphite in them are out. That is German OEM and the dust is terrible.

Never used the Ultimates but have used a few sets of Akebono ACT (Akebono Ceramic Technology). They are ceramic, produce extremely low dust and seem to be a decent step up from OEM Nissan and Honda. Better initial bite, easy to modulate and no fade issues even when pushed hard on the street (VERY spirited backroad blitzing with heavy brake use). Seems more and more friction companies are producing ceramic compound pads.

Have used the PBR metalmasters; OK pad, still a lot of dust (rust coloured...). Used for 1 track day, and they didn't like it...were never the same after...!

Currently use Hawk HPS; so far some dust , occasional low speed squeal, good bite cold or hot...so far so good !

As for brake dust, no dust means your pads aren't wearing much...your rotors are!

The solution...stop being lazy, and clean those wheels once a week...

Love all the BMW and Mercedes, some Fords and others with BLACK! front wheels. If you don't clean them regularily, they will NEVER! come clean...regardless of the pad used!

I use Axxis Ultimates and am extremely happy with them on my del Sol. They have much better cold bite than stock pads, and are easy to modulate near the threshold of lockup (I don't have ABS).

They bite even better with some heat in them, but I cannot get them that warm, except by repeated, consecutive, hard stops from highway speed. Autocross (even with back-to-back runs on 80+ mph courses) and fast mountain driving will not get them that warm in my 2,400 lb car. I can't imagine overheating them with anything less than a track day.

They dust a good bit, but the dust is non-corrosive and comes off pretty easily. I don't care about the dust as long as it doesn't cause permanent harm.

New pads should be bedded in. Start with gentle stops, and escalate gradually until you're doing hard stops from highway speed. Continue until you can smell the whatever-it-is coming off the brakes.

I've never heard anything particularly good about the EBC pads from autocrossers or road racers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back