Anyone own a new Ford Ranger?

Looking to buy a new 2020 Ranger CC XLT/STX pack 4wd. Local stock for all mid sized trucks is low right now. Tacoma’s are hard to find spec’d the way I want...as usual. The GM twins are another option but seeing all of their common reported problems I don’t know if I want one.

Local ford dealer has a few in stock with pretty good rebates.

Are there any common issues with the new Ranger? can’t find much other than transmission issues but it’s vague. I know none of these trucks will be perfect but I just want something reliable, holds value for the long run.

Anyone also own a Colorado/Canyon that can confirm the common issues?

I have a 2017 Canyon V6, 8 speed. The only mechanical problem I have had was the common transmission shudder. After GM came out with the revised ATF from Mobil 1 it has not recurred. I am right at 60,000 miles and the only other problem I've had is the radio controls/touch screen occasionally has a mind of its own and jumps around. I'll have to have the touch screen replaced eventually. Otherwise, I love the truck.

I have a 2018 Colorado Z71 with the v6 gas engine. I've got 30k miles on it currently. The only 'common' issue I've experienced is the 8 speed transmission shudder. It was fully resolved by the dealer with the recommended trans fluid replace. That's really the only issue I've had with it. I really like the truck. The motor especially, it's a ripper. The Ranger wasn't available when I bought my Chevy but I would definitely have given it a very close look if it were.

2016 Colorado Diesel owner here. Has the 6 speed transmission.

I have talked to other owners complaining about the transmission's performance on hills (refuses to upshift or downshift, going down hills). Mine does the same, however, I have had a transmission flush every other year, and I have not had any service reasons for bringing it back to the dealer.
In addition, I see 30+ mpg during highway driving, so I don't want the dealer to touch it anyway.

On a side note, I was recently reading about another Colorado diesel owner with over 170K miles on his. Also, so an Australian owner with over 360K miles on his Colorado diesel (earlier version of this 2.8L engine). Most encouraging!

I live on 5 acres, could use a truck and have test driven all three trucks in question. If you want resale, the Tacoma is the one to get. But it is the worst riding pickup along with less power and lower fuel economy. I wasn't impressed with it.

The Colorado has the best ride, but it looks as if GM hired Fisher Price to design the interior.

The Rangers engine and transmission is a gem. Drives great slow/normal and drives great when punching the throttle. The transmission and engine work very well together. The 10 speed keeps the engine in it's power band when needed and at an appropriate RPM when driven normal.
It doesn't ride as nice as the Colorado. Consumers Reports says the truck rides better with a load in the bed.
I prefer the 10 speed in the Ranger vs the F150 3.5 Ecoboost and 5.0 I've driven.

The current Ranger was designed for foreign lands where trucks are expected to work and Ford designed it as such.
The Colorado was designed to be a truck to get you to work and back without anything in the bed.

I would get a Ranger myself but cant fault anyone who buys a Colorado.

Interesting review below. This woman is 5'11" to relate her to the size of the truck. She rebuilt the engine an in old Toyota MR2 which she restored.
She also tested the electronic locking rear diff ($420 option on some models) in 2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive.

I have a 2018 Colorado Z71 with the v6 gas engine. I've got 30k miles on it currently. The only 'common' issue I've experienced is the 8 speed transmission shudder. It was fully resolved by the dealer with the recommended trans fluid replace. That's really the only issue I've had with it. I really like the truck. The motor especially, it's a ripper. The Ranger wasn't available when I bought my Chevy but I would definitely have given it a very close look if it were.

I'm gonna assume and hope GM revised the factory fill ATF for 2021 models. Do you know when the TSB came out? Was it recent?

I've always had Chevys when it came to trucks but I think I'm ready to try something else. I was dead set on a Tacoma but realized they all develop issues at they near 100k anyways.

The current Ranger was designed for foreign lands where trucks are expected to work and Ford designed it as such.
The Colorado was designed to be a truck to get you to work and back without anything in the bed.

Just realized that when you pointed it out. I'm gonna hope the ranger is more durable when it reaches it's max capability...I don't use my work vehicle often but when I do it's usually maxed out... the last vehicle was a Nissan NV200 which was just a disappointment. Sold it and am using a Subaru Outback right now, which is doing fine but it can't tow as much as I'd like.

I have no personal experience with the new Rangers but from what I have been told by my buddy who is a Ford mechanic he said to stay away they are bogged down with electronics and everything like everything new is. And said he has had to do some work to some of them. I’d go with a Toyota for the value and resale. As for Chevy nothing but problems I know from experience and personal experience with Chevy. The shop I used to work at before coming to the Toyota dealership we would see them come in about everyday they are known for blowing the oil pressure sensors a lot on all of their trucks and some other mechanical problems.

A family friend of ours has a '19 and loves it. He offroads constantly(bumper scars prove it) and so far so good, 4x4, ext cab. Only gripe is that he wishes it was single cab but admits it's nice to store things in the back.

I'm gonna assume and hope GM revised the factory fill ATF for 2021 models. Do you know when the TSB came out? Was it recent?

I've always had Chevys when it came to trucks but I think I'm ready to try something else. I was dead set on a Tacoma but realized they all develop issues at they near 100k anyways.
The TSB on the ATF is almost 3 years old. They upgraded the factory fill to the new ATF in 2019 so any new model on the dealer lot would be good to go.

I would suggest you go to the ColoradoFans forum and read up on the Colorado/Canyon 2nd Gen. if you are seriously considering one. Do the same with the Toyota and the Ranger. Like any make you will find some owner's with complaints, however, from my personal experience at 60,000 miles I can recommend the truck with confidence. If you don't like the Colorado's interior look at the Canyon as it is nicer.

You may also want to research the soon to redesigned Nissan Frontier or consider the current model with the old tried and true chassis but with the new transmission and engine.

Last edited:
When I worked at chevy dealer 2016 and 2019 I was hanging out with their transmission/Drivetrain tech guy(He was a cool dude) and see MANY HD trucks were getting M1 ATF service's. Seen pallets of M1 ATF next to his work bay.

He said, he was emailing with a GM engineer in Flint about the issues and he told him to "test a few HD trucks" with the HD trans and use M1 ATF

Long story short after a few "tests" with some fleet trucks having trans issues. Problem was solved

Dave

Looking to buy a new 2020 Ranger CC XLT/STX pack 4wd. Local stock for all mid sized trucks is low right now. Tacoma’s are hard to find spec’d the way I want...as usual. The GM twins are another option but seeing all of their common reported problems I don’t know if I want one.

Local ford dealer has a few in stock with pretty good rebates.

Are there any common issues with the new Ranger? can’t find much other than transmission issues but it’s vague. I know none of these trucks will be perfect but I just want something reliable, holds value for the long run.

Anyone also own a Colorado/Canyon that can confirm the common issues?

Sounds like you are at least interested in the ‘Yoda? Is having one made for you out of the question?

I don't know anything about them, but I haven't seen the Nissan Frontier mentioned yet. They are much better looking than the Tacoma IMO.

the larger midsized nissan frontier is the best value IMO, not sure of the newest tech but the proven problem free port injected models are great + their torquier V-6 pulls great!

I have a 2017 Canyon V6, 8 speed. The only mechanical problem I have had was the common transmission shudder. After GM came out with the revised ATF from Mobil 1 it has not recurred. I am right at 60,000 miles and the only other problem I've had is the radio controls/touch screen occasionally has a mind of its own and jumps around. I'll have to have the touch screen replaced eventually. Otherwise, I love the truck.

Interesting because I've read most still have it even after using the M1. I almost bought one.

I live on 5 acres, could use a truck and have test driven all three trucks in question. If you want resale, the Tacoma is the one to get. But it is the worst riding pickup along with less power and lower fuel economy. I wasn't impressed with it.

The Colorado has the best ride, but it looks as if GM hired Fisher Price to design the interior.

The Rangers engine and transmission is a gem. Drives great slow/normal and drives great when punching the throttle. The transmission and engine work very well together. The 10 speed keeps the engine in it's power band when needed and at an appropriate RPM when driven normal.
It doesn't ride as nice as the Colorado. Consumers Reports says the truck rides better with a load in the bed.
I prefer the 10 speed in the Ranger vs the F150 3.5 Ecoboost and 5.0 I've driven.

I would get a Ranger myself but cant fault anyone who buys a Colorado.

Interesting review below. This woman is 5'11" to relate her to the size of the truck. She rebuilt the engine an in old Toyota MR2 which she restored.
She also tested the electronic locking rear diff ($420 option on some models) in 2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive.

The Ranger in that video prices out around $52k. That's crazy.

I think you can get an STX 2wd lower trim supercrew for the high 20s new. Think I read about a class action transmission issue with the 10 speed at least on the f 150. Every make seems to have some quirks

the larger midsized nissan frontier is the best value IMO, not sure of the newest tech but the proven problem free port injected models are great + their torquier V-6 pulls great!

Are you talking about the new Frontier w/ 3.8L GDI V6 + 9speed MBenz transmission ? That I like.

Back