Anyone own a mini skid steer?

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Debating a sub compact tractor vs mini skid steer.

So far I cant find a mower for the mini, but it seems to win everywhere else in my comparisons.

I dont farm, but I do have lots of yearly clean up and moving stuff around to deal with.

would love to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Thanks guys.

UD

Kinda depends on your exact situation because many of the abilities are pretty much equal.

I prefer my sub tractor for small stuff but it is a farm.

A SS does have some mobility restrictions so what kind of tasks and overall terrain are you dealing with?

Kinda depends on your exact situation because many of the abilities are pretty much equal.

I prefer my sub tractor for small stuff but it is a farm.

A SS does have some mobility restrictions so what kind of tasks and overall terrain are you dealing with?

I have a small 1.5 acre rural house, with 4 distinct areas to manage.

A 3/4 acre "field" with scrub and some fruit trees - soon to be more
A small patch of actual grass that needs a fine mower and a even a subcompact is too big to run on it
A smaller 1/4 acre open area on a bit of a hill with scrub that the neighbor like to let his goats and chickens run in. The skid would require come care on the hillside, but without a mower requiring side running - I could do all else with a direct up down attack through it.
A gravel front yard with a little garden in it. I need to bring mulch/ compost in and out of

The back border is a small grove of trees the I cant quite call a forest, but they are quite old and need a managing and cutting/ pruning cleaning back yearly for fire control I cant get the sub compact back here but could a mini skid.

The mini skid gives me a bucket, an auger, a tiller, and a pallet and log fork, but no mower, i also gets m through narrow gate in into spaces a wheeled tractor either wont fit in or will chew up.

Thanks!

UD

on the mini skids, or sub compact - I think Id pick the new not yet available kubota 1000.

sounds to me like the gate makes the difference, so be it if the sub tractor is too wide

I know SS has mower attachments, I see them frequently so maybe you need to change the model SS you are looking at

sounds to me like the gate makes the difference, so be it if the sub tractor is too wide

I know SS has mower attachments, I see them frequently so maybe you need to change the model SS you are looking at

For sure on the bigger ones, but I haven't seen them for the minis - but Ive just started looking at them.

I wasnt aware of mini skid steer existence until a few weeks ago so I'm new to them,
I did fair amount of research on sub compact and came to the kubota BX or the little John Deere 1025 which is a yanmar.

Ive been super pleased with all my kubota product, which is a hard pill to swallow growing up in caterpillar country, but they are excellent.

I found some 3rd party mowers- I may have a solution.

UD

Are they finish mowers or rotary cutters?

What’s the lift capacity of the mini skid steer? I’m assuming this is their walk behind dingo thing?

Ive only seen a rotary cutter, but thats all I need for field work. I'll use my walk behind for the small amount of finish mowing I need.

The kubota entry will lift 1K. Correct its their version of a toro dingo.

As Ive been looking its pretty common for the lift capacity to be part of the model number " 825" etcetera.

Last edited:
The mini skid looks like a winner if you don’t mine walking and standing.

I took your previous post to mean you needed a “mower” so that’s why I questioned it. AFIK, they only have rotary cutters.

Back