Anyone own a Eden Pure heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as my mother and step dad live in Virginia and are paying a ton of $$$ for heating oil.They've had service techs come and check the furnace,everything is in good working condition. Someone suggested to check into a Eden Pure heater to help reduce their heating costs. Anyone use one before,was it a good investment or waste of money?

Thanks for the info!

those are nothing but an infrared heater + blower.

Good if you have a small room to heat; quite ineffective if the room is relatively big.

For a bedroom of 280sqft, I use an electric oil-filled heater (radiant type) running @ 500Watts during the coldest time of the nite (around 5am til 7am, on timer) and that really works out well.

For direct, in-yo-face heating, consider using infra-red dish electric heater type.

Q.

Remember that *all* electric heaters are 100% efficient. They turn electric power into heat, which is pretty much the easiest possible thing to do.

Since electric power almost always costs more per BTU than oil, the only way an electric heater can save money over oil heat is if can limit what you are heating.

A small heater close to you can do this. The goal is usually to limit the peak temperature to avoid heat damage and combustion risk to surrounding objects.

Oil-filled heaters do this by convection circulation of oil to spread the heat over a large surface. This is safe and effective, but bulky.

"Ceramic" heaters use a fan to blow air over heating elements. The elements generally glow red hot, and the "ceramic" is just a protective enclosure to electrically insulate the heating element and minimize the risk of surrounding objects overheating from radiant heat. A well designed heater will produce lots of evenly heated air, protecting against hot spots or overheating when the air flow is blocked.

Radiant heaters are the most efficient. They project lots of infrared (IR), warming your skin more than the surrounding air and distant walls. This keeps you comfortable at a low air temperature, reduces drafts and results in much lower losses due to warm air convection. The big down-side is that IR heating is dangerous. It can potentially heat nearby objects to combustion temperature. The only protection would be a thermal camera "looking" at the surrounding area to detect overheating, which isn't economically feasible with today's technology.

This comes up many times in different forums. Electric is pretty much 100% efficient, however depending on your area, the cost of electric can be a lot higher than oil/gas. That means you can pretty much get any cheap electric heater and they'll do the same thing. It's just good marketing that gives it a high price. The only real advantage might be to turn down the heat using oil and use a small electric heater in the room that you're sleeping in. Only problem with electric heaters is that they tend to be fire hazards and aren't really recommended in general.

Originally Posted By: djb
Remember that *all* electric heaters are 100% efficient. They turn electric power into heat, which is pretty much the easiest possible thing to do.

Not pretty much the easiest---THE easiest. Ugggh, what a scam, selling $50 walmart-equivalent electric heaters at an over 500% markup using feelgood psychology marketing that conveys honesty and trust when the ethics of this company are the exact contrary.

In most parts of the country, renewable sources are a smaller portion of the electricity generation pie, give or take 10% on avg. This means most of the electricity is generated through coal and gas, and that about two thirds (67%) of the energy is lost and wasted at the electric powerplant (and powerlines), as waste heat.

If there's any electric heat that truly makes sense to me, it's the under the desk radiant foot/leg warmers (they used to cost ~$60 at amazon, now maybe a bit more). They have some utility if you're on the ground floor and the floor insulation is not to modern standards. Great for cold feet; those parabolic dish heaters feel even better, but there is some remote chance of a fire hazard (i.e., not 100.0000% idiot proof).

Last edited:
120 volts room heaters are all set at 1500 watts and thats, that. No matter the size, they are all 1500 watts, if they are 1 foot tall or 30 inches tall,,,READ THE LABEL ON THE BOX OR UNIT...P = E x I, 1500= 120E, so I = 12.5 amps...thats it. You will need a 230 volt circuit to get more amps or watts and watts is heat>
The factories and all their different units are playing us for idiots, large or small, 120 volts, 1500 watts is it for the home, unless you want to waste electricity on something larger, u are better off with gas heat any day, gas heat usually gives off 115 to 122 degrees of heat at the vents.....

Last edited:
My parents just use a cheap heater with fan room to room where they are in an older home. They keep the main house thermostat at 60F. The electric heater is moved around for their comfort and set at 70F.

I think that is the main concept around the these heaters "saving" energy.

I have a knock off version. They work fine for a bedroom or something, so you don't need to heat the whole house. The guys are correct about the physics/EEE stuff, but there are ergonomic and aesthetic factors as well. The remote and pre-heat cycle are nice and the wood cabinet looks OK. Basically that's why I bought one (~$150). I can't even imagine one of those oil filled units, parabolic unit or other fan unit in the bedroom (all of which I have in the garage and other rooms)

I say the real drawback is the fan is a bit loud in ours.

i have comfort furnace from tractor supply and it works way better than the 2 oil filled type heaters that i had

We have an electric furnace, forced air heating our 1600 sq/ft home and it's cheaper than oil or propane in my area. I have friends and family both using oil, propane and wood and my electric heat is the same or less every month. The trick was to get placed on the power company's average plan, which takes a years billing and breaks it up into 12 averaged payments. All of my bills are within a few dollars each month.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
120 volts room heaters are all set at 1500 watts and thats, that.

You're wrong. I buy the oil filled radiator types with different power settings. I've even verified with a Kill-a-watt to make sure. I don't want my heater to be sucking down 12+ Amps when it doesn't need to as I use them to take the edge off in cold spots.

Last edited:
Well than a direct answer to your question is YES, the EDEN pure will be you "most efficient use of electric to heat", as said above elec is a 100% efficient heating source but the eden pure will use less electric to heat the same amount of space.
We use an eden pure in my daughters room and it is great.
IF you really want a better heating source than talk them into a mini-split system (Fujitsu) We have almost 1700 sq ft. and before our mini-split we "could" burn 200gal of oil a month (cast iron boiler) after the MS install I burn at most 100 gal a month. In fact this winter so far we have only used 150gal.
depending on the size of there home they could possibly have less than 5 grand in a mini-split and there are probably state level tax incentives for installing one, and it would pay for itself in "maybe" two heating seasons and they would also have the comfort of central air.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Well than a direct answer to your question is YES, the EDEN pure will be you "most efficient use of electric to heat", as said above elec is a 100% efficient heating source but the eden pure will use less electric to heat the same amount of space.

No, it will use exactly the same amount of power as any other electric heater. Not less. Not more.

You are paying extra for the marketing and a nice case.

that is absolutely incorrect. going from a traditional elec heater to an eden pure at our house lowered our elec bill avg $15 a month the eden pure also uses lass wattage than our elec. fireplace and heats the same space more evenly.Thats due to less wattage used to produce the same amount of heat, probably because of how the eden pure dissipates the heat more evenly throughout a room.

Thanks for all the useful information,I've passed it on to virginia where they'll make the final decision on what will work best for them.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back