Anyone NOT have a problem with Jiffy Lube type places?

In all my years, i've only once had an issue with any of these establishments, and it wasn't anything nefarious or catastrophic. If i do go to any now-a-days, it's the VIOC location near my home. They are efficient, courteous, professional, stand-up employees. I will use them again without concern.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Yeah, that's tough. When I got too busy I used to go to the dealership. Noticed my oil level was down and still dark. I brought out a new quart of oil to show them the difference and they still insisted they changed it. Then I looked at their oil change crew - no longer ASE professionals, all youngsters. That was the end of going to the dealer - back to doing it myself.

Enough about me - could there be an oil change mechanic or local mechanic that is reputable? Instead of mass-production dealerships and quickie joints?

Who did you expect to change oil? "ASE Professionals" ? Like asking a brain surgeon to look at a blister. Jeez

Personally I have never, ever taken a vehicle to one of those places in 44 years of driving. While I've never experienced a direct problem as a result of this, I will fault them for promoting ridiculously short OCIs. They were still promoting 3000 mile oil changes when the norm had hit 7500 miles. This was both self serving and environmentally irresponsible.

Just went to Jiffy Lube for the first time in 40 years of driving. I was pleasantly surprised at the service level. Stayed in vehicle watched the oil filter change, new oil in check when I got home all looks good no leaks, level good. Took 15 minutes tops only issue I wanted Mobil 1 they were out so ended up with Mile Guard 5W-30 which is Dexos approved. I will go back just for the convenience.

Originally Posted by bbb6009
Just went to Jiffy Lube for the first time in 40 years of driving. I was pleasantly surprised at the service level. Stayed in vehicle watched the oil filter change, new oil in check when I got home all looks good no leaks, level good. Took 15 minutes tops only issue I wanted Mobil 1 they were out so ended up with Mile Guard 5W-30 which is Dexos approved. I will go back just for the convenience.

Didn't know Jiffy Lube offered Mobil 1. I ordered (and hopefully got) PP. As previously mentioned, I'm not sure what they poured into my car since the jug was unmarked.

Originally Posted by willbur
Yeah, that's tough. When I got too busy I used to go to the dealership. Noticed my oil level was down and still dark. I brought out a new quart of oil to show them the difference and they still insisted they changed it. Then I looked at their oil change crew - no longer ASE professionals, all youngsters. That was the end of going to the dealer - back to doing it myself.

Enough about me - could there be an oil change mechanic or local mechanic that is reputable? Instead of mass-production dealerships and quickie joints?

Who did you expect to change oil? "ASE Professionals" ? Like asking a brain surgeon to look at a blister. Jeez

As opposed to what, "jeez"? A high school kid that doesn't give a rip? Geez.

I drive a company vehicle which requires me to take it in to Jiffy Lube every 5,000 miles. I don't like other people working on my vehicles but I don't have a choice in this case. Every time I take the vehicle into Jiffy Lube I watch them like a hawk. Unfortunately, I am unable to see what goes on underneath the car. I usually do a quick check underneath the car when I get home. The last 3 Jiffy Lube visits, I found the following issue:

1. Missing and/or broken bumper push pin clips for the under tray panel
2. Loose oil drain bolt causing small oil leak

-ttvr4

I am 64 and still do my own oil changes and always will till I cant anymore. dealer ruined the trans in wifes Saturn as it came with a service plan. idiot didn't tighten the trans oil filter enough and it leaked out most of its trans fluid before I caught it as I seldom drive her car. damage was done and trans failed soon after this. neighbor took his his truck to jiffy lube as he was going on a trip. got about 300 miles and his engine blew up. lost all its oil. your car is too big of an investment to put its well being in the hands of idiots. change your own oil!

I have witnessed the "you forgot to put oil in my car" scenario first hand. Can't remember the chain but if it wasn't Jiffy Lube it was a similar place. Somewhere between 2000 and 2003; I remember because of where I worked at the time. I was waiting my turn and an irate person entered and claimed his vehicle had seized right after he left. No idea how legit that was but I have changed my own engine oil ever since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by willbur

As opposed to what, "jeez"? A high school kid that doesn't give a rip? Geez.

You're funny. Well, then be ready to pay a lot more for that "ASE Professional" to change your oil! So, you're saying high school kids don't give a rip vs. someone else? Go back to H.S. and learn some logic. LOL

Needed an unplanned out of town change on my son's car. It was a brand new Jiffy and had the supervisor and two staff take care of the car. I had coffee and they were in the first bay where I could watch. Whilst you could tell they are geared to up sales … he showed me my air filter met the "still good" criteria which was reassuring.
We did a $69 Pennzoil Gold change, they cleaned the car … then showed me the dipstick and old filter.
No complaints … but it's rare for me to not do my own so I'm no great data base.

I do know the Mobil 1 Express (my home town) runs a tight ship … Thats because the owner is on the concrete and his wife is on the computer inside … so they make the difference … .

Last edited:
Bottom line is when someone else works on your vehicle or changes its oil mistakes can be made and/or you can intentionally be ripped off, more so with oil.
Its doesnt matter what company or what place, most are all independently owned franchises and the ones that aren't are still run by local management.

Unless someone is giving thoughts on your exact location and place where you would have the service done, there is no way to know what's up.

ANY place can forget to put the oil back in the vehicle, any place can pretend to change the oil and not change it but still charge you (happened to my daughter at Sears but her dad caught them when he checked the oil and filter), any place can tell you that you are getting synthetic while giving you conventional.

Its one of the easiest ways for dishonest or lazy people to rip off customers and also for employees to rip off their boss or company so you have two very big things against you.

Last edited:
The Quick Lane (Ford) wasn't to bad the last time.
Didn't upsell me. Rotated the tries correctly. Didn't reset hot tires in the afternoon to cold placard pressure. Didn't reset and leave my radio. Reset the IOLM.

Only pet peeves was not returning my seat to it's location, failing to fold my passenger mirror back out the 5 month / 5,000 mi sticker (On a vehicle with an IOLM) and for most people a 12 mo or 10,000 mi change interval.

I guess it doesn't hurt they have a nice glass window so you can at least see them pump in the oil and rotate the tires.

Last edited:
As a beginner, my father (school bus mechanic), did my car's oil changes. He taught me how to do it myself and I did so since.

The only period where someone else did my oil changes was the dealer when my then new car was still on warranty. This way, if something went wrong they had all the proofs that maintenance was done correctly and on time. Once the warranty was over, I resumed doing it myself. I still have and drive the car 15 years later.

I had an old Civic that was on its last legs.
I took it to a Jiffy Lube to get the oil changed as I was busy with work and didn't have the time to do it myself.
The guy I was dealing with was obnoxious, initially refusing to change the oil unless I let them fix "all the oil leaks" on it. It was weeping in a few places but not badly enough to leave any oil on the ground (maybe a drop if parked overnight somewhere) and the car wasn't worth putting any money into.
Anyway, I finally convinced the guy to change the oil for me and he started trying to upsell me on everything, just really obnoxiously, not taking no for an answer, repeatedly asking, saying all sorts of bad things would happen if I didn't buy all their money-wasters.
When they'd finished changing the oil he was under the car in the pit and asked me to turn it on and rev it slightly to make sure the oil filter wasn't leaking.
I took it to redline and heard him squeal.
That was satisfying.

Back