Anyone Know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if this is the right or wrong part number for the engine dip stick for a 97' F-150SCAB XLT 4.60with auto. just put 6 quarts in cranked let sit for 20 min.'e to serttle oil does not touch stick. Hmmmmmmmm I so confused don't think this the right stick.

Sounds like the wrong dipstick. I had a '97 Expedition 4.6L for a few years. It took 6 qt's to fill it. Your engine is identical to the 4.6 in my old Expy. Unless some sort of custom oil pan has been installed, it should only take 6qt's of oil to reach exactly 1/2 way between the full & add marks on the dipstick.

They never sell dip sticks at auto parts stores for some strange reason; so you'll either have to go to the dealer or the wrecking yard for one. In the mean time, you're probably safe with the 6 quarts like Wayne said.

How did you check your oil in the past ??
Who would have "switched" dipsticks on you ??
How long have you owned this vehicle ??

More questions than answers here....
confused.gif

Quote:

They never sell dip sticks at auto parts stores for some strange reason; so you'll either have to go to the dealer or the wrecking yard for one. In the mean time, you're probably safe with the 6 quarts like Wayne said.

Parts stores rarely sell non wear items. There's no demand.

Thanks guys. It was the wrong oil dip stick not to mention it (4.6) has a 5.4 oil pan. Man. date 6-96. It takes seven quarts to put it 1/8 below full mark which is where Ford says this motor should run without any vibration, they claim if more than 6 (normally in a 4.6 or 7 in the 5.4) used it will cause motor vibration and that the level should not go completly to the full mark. Who would have thunk it!!

Sounds fishy to me also. I was wrong not to mention embarassed. There are several numbers on the 4.6 stick. Just so happens the engine takes 7qts. to fill. As for engine vib. I may dumb but not quite that stupid. I quess this all happened over a brain ----, Or distruction o f brain cells.

Overfilling a crankcase will definitely cause a vibration, been there done that on a 5.4L Navigator (my fault). It feels like a vac leak at idle. It is one of the first things you check for a rough idle concern. I have seen it a handful of times over the years. Sometimes people forget to drain the old oil (or the front sump on split sump 5.0L), some people can't count, sometimes the Jiffy lube guy has a brainfart while filling with the bulk dispenser.

FoMoCo has used the wrong dipstick, or dipstick tube depending on who is telling the story, on several occasions. Sometimes the dipstick was technically the correct length, but the dipstick tube was too tall when some engine assembly guy put out the incorrect tubes.

Liquid cooled VW cars tend to have their plastic dipsticks and tubes fall apart, sadly, those are expensive dealer items only.

Also, about overfilling with a bulk oil dispenser; I once had that happen, and a GM 3.8 came back with 7 quarts of oil in a 4.5 quart sump. The oil gun seemed fine, but it failed 100% the day after I worked on that GM3.8.

Overfilling an engine causes vibration in multiple ways. The high oil level causes the crank to hit oil and slow down, and that extra oil upsets the balancing that was done to the crank at the factory. Also, when the crank hits the oil, it becomes foam, and foamed oil has lower oil pressure because air can compress. Other times, excess oil gets sucked into the PCV system, causing oil to get into the combustion chamber, where it upsets the air/fuel mixture, and combusts inefficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back