Anyone here using full synthetic on an old 22RE Toyota engine? What's your OCI?

Good to know, I was fairly certain the parts had been updated. If your engine has no-to-low blow by then you can probably increase your OCI. Problem is I would imagine almost all of those burn a fair amount of oil now and extended OCI’s should be avoided on oil burners, generally speaking.

Honestly, I didn't know as much about valve adjustments until the last few years, at least in terms of stuff that requires taking the engine apart a bit. For all I know, they were adjusted at some point without me knowing or remembering. I had it in a shop in Seattle once for something that was hard to figure out and they tossed a number of things at it before it got fixed.

Really, the only reason to adjust the valves at this point would be to quiet it down and maybe gain a little power back, but from what I have read, these engines will last a long time and are happy with noisy valves. I can live with the noise rather than risk getting one of the valves too tight and burning it out.
Having owned a couple of Slant 6 engines, I can say that MPG suffers as the valve gaps widen.

My Volare wagon regularly got 22 on the highway; when the average dropped to 18, it was valve adjustment time - after which it was back to 22.

This was reliably repeated for the 80,000 miles I owned it.

Would it be mostly correct to assume that when switching to a FS for longer OCI, I should use a slightly shorter OCI in the first change and then go longer in the next one? I would think this might be wise for two reasons: one being that the old conventional oil it mixed with new during the first change would limit the ability of the new FS, and second, the FS might clean up a bit of stuff left from decades of conventional and get dirty a bit quicker than it would after an OCI or two?

Also, I think the engine really likes the M1 HM FS 10w-40 in there. I think the engine has a good bit less of that raw noise it tends to make at higher RPM. I have over 1K on the current oil and the dipstick is right on the money, so the HM FS isn't burning off at this point and probably won't need a top off for the whole OCI.

Having owned a couple of Slant 6 engines, I can say that MPG suffers as the valve gaps widen.

My Volare wagon regularly got 22 on the highway; when the average dropped to 18, it was valve adjustment time - after which it was back to 22.

This was reliably repeated for the 80,000 miles I owned it.
I had a D100 pickup with the 225 when I was a kid. Back then I barely even knew what valves were let alone how to adjust them. That truck got 13 MPG no matter what but you'd better not be in a hurry cause it was a slug to drive.

Back