Anyone here use Mirror Glaze #7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup M105/205 are nearly the same as Ultimate Compound/Polish.

A little less cut with Ultimate Compound, but it has a longer work time and lower dust. If I could get it in a big bottle it's what I would use all the time.

As others have said it is well worth the money to pick up a good DA. You'll get better results in a quarter the time than by hand. My recommendation is always the Griot's Polisher but many here like the one from HF. The Porter Cable 7424XP is probably the "industry standard." With any DA I prefer 5" pads over 6". A little easier to work on curves and more power goes to the pad.

Using a DA with a good finishing pad and M205 will make a mirror and you can go straight to applying a sealant.

I use #7 often but mainly on single stage paint. Recently, Meg's changed #7, they say it is the same, different color and VOC compliant, um yeah, it's not he same. The old stuff which I stocked up on before the change is better. #7 is a great "non abrasive" cleaner, that is why I love in on single stage paint. But not so much for base/clear paint jobs as it has no abrasives thus using it as a final polish is not something I would do.

And I by gallons of 105 as I use it often, but do use Ultimate Compound regularly as it has a longer work time. They are similar, but not the same. 105 can have a bit of a learning curve in certain climates.

Single stage terrible Maaco paint job fixed w/ M105/205/#7 then sealed w/ DG 111.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Yup M105/205 are nearly the same as Ultimate Compound/Polish.

A little less cut with Ultimate Compound, but it has a longer work time and lower dust. If I could get it in a big bottle it's what I would use all the time.

As others have said it is well worth the money to pick up a good DA. You'll get better results in a quarter the time than by hand. My recommendation is always the Griot's Polisher but many here like the one from HF. The Porter Cable 7424XP is probably the "industry standard." With any DA I prefer 5" pads over 6". A little easier to work on curves and more power goes to the pad.

Using a DA with a good finishing pad and M205 will make a mirror and you can go straight to applying a sealant.

How much is the Griot's DA Polisher? The Mother's polisher looks pretty nice for the money too. Sounds like the 205 is a good finishing polish when using a DA...

Originally Posted By: grampi
How much is the Griot's DA Polisher? The Mother's polisher looks pretty nice for the money too. Sounds like the 205 is a good finishing polish when using a DA...

About $150. It also come with a lifetime warranty and Griot's Customer Service. They're always a pleasure to deal with.

About $150. It also come with a lifetime warranty and Griot's Customer Service. They're always a pleasure to deal with.

Is a random orbital the same thing as a DA?

Is a random orbital the same thing as a DA?

Yes, two names for the same thing.

As mentioned before, 205 should finish out nicely. I personally have not used it (yet), but using it by hand is likely the issue. DAs are sooo much better than just hands, lol. I bought a polisher at Harbor Freight a couple months ago and could not be happier. I too replaced the backing plate and did the mod to move the switch from side to top. I used M101 on my wife's Xterra on orange pad followed by Ultimate Polish on white pad, and lastly M21. I had some defects that needed correction, which is why I started with M101 (wetsanding some small areas as well), but results were amazing.

I've detailed using the Flex and Rupes DA machines, and want to buy one for myself one day, but for the money spent I'm very pleased with the results.

Back on topic, I used M7 in the late 90s into early 2000s and thought it was ok, but definitely just a cover for fine defects. It offers no protection but would be great in a car show sort of event or something where you would want to "hide" imperfections.

Originally Posted By: nolesfan
As mentioned before, 205 should finish out nicely. I personally have not used it (yet), but using it by hand is likely the issue. DAs are sooo much better than just hands, lol. I bought a polisher at Harbor Freight a couple months ago and could not be happier. I too replaced the backing plate and did the mod to move the switch from side to top. I used M101 on my wife's Xterra on orange pad followed by Ultimate Polish on white pad, and lastly M21. I had some defects that needed correction, which is why I started with M101 (wetsanding some small areas as well), but results were amazing.

I've detailed using the Flex and Rupes DA machines, and want to buy one for myself one day, but for the money spent I'm very pleased with the results.

Back on topic, I used M7 in the late 90s into early 2000s and thought it was ok, but definitely just a cover for fine defects. It offers no protection but would be great in a car show sort of event or something where you would want to "hide" imperfections.

I definitely don't want the M7...I don't like putting "makeup" on the paint...I'd rather correct it as long as what needs correcting isn't too bad...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back