Anyone here still using 15w40?

Few friends of mine instill do oil changes for still want 15w40. I’ve used it without issue. Yes it cranks slow way below freezing. Kinda sad that fleets still use it over 10w30 to be honest. Few friends that work beside my work run it without issues too. Anyone here use it in gas vehicles still?

Have bought about 5 gallons of synthetic the past few months taking advantage of rebates, and you helped me score about 10 quarts of T4 from AAP. I recently put some T4 in 3 gas OPE items and Delo XSP in my John Deere tractor. Going to use another 3 quarts of T4 in my Kubota once I finish working on its new engine, just waiting on gaskets and hoses . I might even use it in my Chevy LQ4 late spring.

I use it in the fleet of deere tractors. 2-316's 2-318's 1-850
wouldnt have a problem using it in a mower or generator either.. or even the wood splitter.. if I dont want to use it in the winter.

Reactions: MM8
Few friends of mine instill do oil changes for still want 15w40. I’ve used it without issue. Yes it cranks slow way below freezing. Kinda sad that fleets still use it over 10w30 to be honest. Few friends that work beside my work run it without issues too. Anyone here use it in gas vehicles still?
We used 15w40 Valvoline Blue in our Cummins Diesel generators that ran emergency fire pumps on chemical plants in the deep south. I would use it with caution in cold climates. Its a darn good oil just not for everything. I cant see a need for that in cars or even a light duty truck.

None of my diesels originally called for a 10w-30, though they can run them in some conditions shown below. 30wt oils have an upper temperature cap that 40wt don’t. 15w-40 is acceptable in my ambient conditions, so why would it be sad that so use it over a 10w-30?

Absolutely, in fact I might switch my 2021 to 15w-40 from 5w-40 just to have one oil for everything. It almost never will have to start in temps below 30f.
That’s what I did. I’m a fan of 5w-40 where it made sense. If I was daily driving my diesels in the deep winter I would run 5w-40. But I don’t rely on that, I have block heaters if I’m so inclined, so there’s no real good reason to spend the $7/gal or so more, especially since I tend to change oil based upon time versus mileage.

I saw the light on that and went back to 15w-40 for my collection, though I won’t deny the benefits of 5w-40.

That’s what I did. I’m a fan of 5w-40 where it made sense. If I was daily driving my diesels in the deep winter I would run 5w-40. But I don’t rely on that, I have block heaters if I’m so inclined, so there’s no real good reason to spend the $7/gal or so more, especially since I tend to change oil based upon time versus mileage.

I saw the light on that and went back to 15w-40 for my collection, though I won’t deny the benefits of 5w-40.
Yeah it's just not cold enough down here for it to matter. I remember how my truck would crank with 5w-30 and it's the same with 15w-40 at the same 30f or so temp. But it burns a lot less now, I hardly add oil compared to before.

I use 15W-40 in the Cummins ISC 8.3 that is in my motorhome. Everything I have read from others, including from Cummins, suggests that it is the best option. I thought everyone ran 15W-40 in their diesel engines.

None of my diesels originally called for a 10w-30, though they can run them in some conditions shown below. 30wt oils have an upper temperature cap that 40wt don’t. 15w-40 is acceptable in my ambient conditions, so why would it be sad that so use it over a 10w-30?

Probably cause 15w40 at lot of places is cheaper, other than that I have no idea.

I would use it, but it's gonna be minus 10 so not in this weather. I recommend it to guys with older trucks that want to clean out the junk and sludge in older vehicles.

Back