Anyone here still use AAP and AZ for their fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grab AZ's 2 dollar quarts. AAP never had anything on sale when I come by there, so I quit trying. Otherwise Bi-Mart for PP, Costco for M1, and wherever sales happen.

The thing is AutoZone has good profit margins on their oil. Walmart oil is a loss leader(it's in the back of the store encouraging other purchases)

I would buy oil at AutoZone if they retailed Kendall oils. I'm SOLD SOLID on Fram Ultra oil filters, so NO WAY I'm buying anything else. I do buy NAPA Gold air filters.

Last edited:
I'll knock on the door of AZ and AAP if they got clearance oil. Aside that, I'll get my oil at Menards with rebate money or wait for my wholesale account to get PUP at Napa for 4.00qt after MIR.

I have started going to Federated Auto parts store to get my oil. It is nice to go to a different place other than AAP, AZ or Wally world.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
I drive Honda so coolant and ATF are bought at dealer. I buy oil and other fluids at Wally though. I don't wrench much now and Honda vehicles don't need much other than fluids; therefore, it has work out great.

Why buy ATF at Honda....Nothing special about DW1 other then a low grade group 3. You would be better served using high quality base stocks and advanced add packs that Amsoil signature series ATF or Redline D6 provide. What's even worse is Toyota WS that is a semi-synthetic and Toyota service people tell you it is a full synthetic. Just more online car forum Dogma that Honda's need Honda ATF's when there is nothing in the Honda transmission that needs [censored] DW1. Pure Dogma. There are thousands of people that use other superior ATF's in Honda's with zero issues even after 100,000 miles. But then again the dealers push out fear of warranty which in the USA is a moot point since we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Many times I have heard them say to customers you need to use Honda fluids to keep warranty and I will bud right in and say no you don't and comment on the warranty act and then they agree, after you tell them the law. Some are still clueless, they don't know what they don't know. Because these days you have people working at dealerships that are not gearheads, it's just another job and they don't have the passion to learn passed what they do for a specific job.

Chiming in because all "the usual things" are being mentioned and I want in.

In my part of NJ the oil clearances at AAP and AZ are things of the past.
When the store wants to rid the shelves of items which do not move they set up a cluttered table with a hodgepodge of cheap tools and car wax.
Oddball oils are included on or below the table.

Their commercial customers (sometimes adjacent businesses in the same building) can use "old label" oil.
In fact, when oils went to 5 qt. and 5qt.+ oil jugs, deeply discounting the 4 qt. jugs was the last time I saw a true clearance.
I still look sometimes (BITOGer thing)
Where do all these rebates come from? Can you search 'em out like RockAuto discount codes?

Like another Volvo owner on this board, I buy my cartridges online and my Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula at Walmart.
I even used Walmart's "ship to home" option for 3 of them. Tough to beat.

On Sunday I was doing some errands and I get message in BMW that my diesel emissions fluid level is too low, and that in 999 miles I will not be able to turn on car. So I was thinking to go to Wal Mart where Peak DEF is $11.99 for 2.5 gallons, but I was about to pass by AutoZone. I am thinking: probably peak in AZ is $1-2 more, not worth of trip to Wal Mart. I go to AZ, and see they have Shell Rotella DEF. I just asked seller what is price out of curiosity, and he says: hmmm, I think there is some sale, let's check. Ooooops, $0.97 for 2.5 gallons! Holy [censored]! However, they only had one canister.
So on Monday I visited few more AZ's, I found two more jugs of 2.5 gallons for $0.97 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back