Anyone have or ever used to have an Erector set? (Games/toys)

My mom had shag carpet and a Kirby vacuum cleaner. Between all of the erector set nuts and bolts and dropped BB's, it always sounded like bullets ricocheting around when we vacuumed.

Was just thinking about this. I always enjoyed Lego, and I think there was a Lego Technical. Never got into Erector sets.. I looked at them, saw them, and thought to myself "Metal Mouse Trap" (that was a board game, for some reason could never get it to work right maybe once or twice when other people were over lol.) But Erector looked complicated and flimsy and weird.

So then. Did anyone have an Erector set? Or did you prefer..
Legos..
Lincoln Logs..

Or some other things?

Started on Christmas Day. 🎄 ⛄ Always used to enjoy a good game of Monopoly in mid-Childhood. I believe there was a time when we weren't all Adulting. And that brings a tear to my eye.
Had Erector set and lincoln logs.

I had an Erector Set, a Visible V-8 Engine, A Lionel train and a real chemistry set when they had real chemicals.

I loved my erector set, and built a ferris wheel. Then, I belt connected a real steam engine to it. In the 60's we could play with fire in the house!

Attachments

• toy steam engine.jpg
    toy steam engine.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Nope, never was into electric trains or the Erector sets. Legos came out, or I first saw them in W.T. Grant (remember that store?), when I was about 10. I had a set, but at that point they were pretty much squares and rectangles in white, red, black, and clear. You could build blockhouses, but that was about it, seemed to me -- very much unlike what you can build today.

I was into model kits: first the snap-together, paint-by-number Bachmann Birds and Animals of the World, then the famous Aurora monster kits like Dracula and the Wolfman. Then I moved on to AMT's custom car kits, Revell's 1/8 scale Jaguar 2 + 2 E-type *, and others, and eventually WWII submarines and then Revell sailing ships like Drake's Golden Hind. When I learned to paint with matte colors instead of gloss, my models really looked great.

* I built that one well, with Revell cement. My mother kept it for 20 years in a paper bag in a closet. When I found it after she passed on, the little chrome door handles had fallen off, but the model was otherwise intact!

Back