anyone have a new ford ranger?

looking for owners with a ford ranger or with a 2.3L ecoboost turbo. what oil do you use? what oils have you experimented with & which ones were quieter? ever use anything thicker/thinner than 5w30? ill be using the motorcraft 910s or the fram ultra filter if the moto isnt available.

My brother in law has one. He uses whatever the Ford dealer puts in. 5W-30 motorcraft probably. Just use a quality oil that meets the spec. You’ll be less likely to suffer issues if you just change it on time.

Either of those filter options is fine.

Same engine and transmission in the 21 explorer we own. Currently motorcraft semi synthetic 5w30 and motorcraft filters through warranty... Will likely switch to Castrol Magnatec/syn when I stop with the free oil changes aa I use in my other ecoboost...

Used Havoline Lifelong 5W30 until it became scarce and then switched to Havoline High Milage 5W30 since that's what I use in my other two cars and it meets spec. 5000 mile changes.

I don't think oil is going to quiet the engine down, the noise you're wanting to make quiet is the fuel injectors and pump. They're just noisy as all get out, just the nature of the beast. The 'best' solution is to order the engine cover that came on the 2019's (That Ford deleted to save money after that) Your motor will still have the mouting bosses for it, its a direct drop on. It is lined with foam and knocks the injector noise down some.

Currently using the Bosch D3422 filter, its slightly longer than the 910. No particular reason other than I got a deal on them and they're slightly larger. Wasn't really looking for a performance benefit from a larger filter, just like the idea of it and they were on sale. All of the 910's I've torn apart looked great. I'll probably stick with the longer filter since it is easier to get hold of when you're installing/removing it.

Why would you experiment on a new truck under warranty and not just use what the owners manual says to use?

i would only use oils that met the requirements specified by the owners manual. by experiment i only meant those type oils. sorry, i should have made that point in my original post. from reading some of the posts on here i noticed many use a different brand each oil change because of special pricing. so im just curious of any of the brands out there provided any significant benefit or drawback over the other.

im by no means an oil expert and just by my logic, i would think that any of the full synthetic brands out there must be better than a synthetic blend like the motorcraft. perhaps im wrong in that assumption, wouldnt be the first time. im here trying to learn about these things :unsure:

I notice many new vehicles sound like a 1992 Hyundai with kerosene in the crankcase. Welcome to that club.

You definitely want to stick with Ford spec'd oil for the engine while under warranty, with all receipts, etc being kept.

FWIW the Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 spec is all over the place in 5W30 oils. Probably hard pressed to find one that doesn't meet it.

The manual calls for WSS-M2C946-B1, but the A1 is the newer spec and has superceeded B1.

well ill tell ya, its not popular and some here will swear its just crazy talk but i had a negative experience using pennzoil platinum in my 22 ranger. it just felt different and was noisier than before. so i got rid of the new m1 filter and replaced it with a motorcraft oem & used mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic. engine was quiet again. for my next oil change coming up in november ill be using either castrol edge or quaker state full synthetic. i acquired both while on sale. regarding your other post about motorcraft blend, i feel your logic. it would stand to reason that any quality full synthetic should be better than a blend. perhaps, but i do think the motorcraft is good oil and i wouldnt hesitate to use it. problem is, its just as much, if not more than name brand full synthetics. so why not just go with the full syn instead.

on your next oil change use a different brand and see how it performs in your particular engine. ive read on here that quaker state full synthetic with its high moly makes for a quiet ecoboost. same with valvoline advanced. if you dont change your oil before november ill let ya know how the castrol or quaker state does in mine.

I met a guy with a Ranger with the 2.3T last week and he just broke 100K trouble free miles (he said it was the first year of the new Ranger but I can't remember if that was 2018 or 2019....I think he said 2019. It's a company truck and he said it gets bulk 5w30. He also said he's going to try to buy it from his employer when it's replaced by his company.

looking for owners with a ford ranger or with a 2.3L ecoboost turbo. what oil do you use? what oils have you experimented with & which ones were quieter? ever use anything thicker/thinner than 5w30? ill be using the motorcraft 910s or the fram ultra filter if the moto isnt available.
I had a special order one of a kind 2021 XLT extended cab 4X4 that I loved. It was a great truck. Never got stuck in sand snow or mud. I put BFG ko2 tires on it. Strong engine.
Because of direct injection I ONLY ran Mobil 1 5w-30 extended performance.
SADLY, someone at the dealership took it out and hooned it and ran over and into something(18” paint scrape on air dam and very mangled license plate). It then had a shake that we couldn’t get rid of. The dealership ended up buying it back from me for more than I paid. I loved that thing. Had the finest paint job I’ve ever seen from the(American) factory!

Attachments

• 2AD9DCB1-87A2-41B5-96BB-6EB61E64D06D.jpeg
    2AD9DCB1-87A2-41B5-96BB-6EB61E64D06D.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Omg folks when the bottle says API SP and for gasoline engines it means you can use it, and its warranty safe. And if that's confusing just buy name brand full synthetics and keep a record. Thats it. Warranty is safe.

The choice of viscosity is based on the environment and operating condition. If its sub freezing consider going light, which these days is the lightest weight on the cap. If its very hot and you tow, you CAN go a grade higher.

It has already been established that you DO NOT violate warranty using the an SP/GF-6 API approved (shield or starburst) oil of any common weight so long as its not lighter than what is stamped on the oil cap.

Further more, many owners manuals mention towing and high speed driving as reasons you may consider a higher weight oil (how many times do folks have to post that line from the Toyota manuals).

Can we stop warning people that they will void their warranty if the cap says 0w-16 and they dare pour 0w-20 or 5w-30 or 0w-30 in there? Sheesh.

Omg folks when the bottle says API SP and for gasoline engines it means you can use it, and its warranty safe. And if that's confusing just buy name brand full synthetics and keep a record. Thats it. Warranty is safe.

The choice of viscosity is based on the environment and operating condition. If its sub freezing consider going light, which these days is the lightest weight on the cap. If its very hot and you tow, you CAN go a grade higher.

It has already been established that you DO NOT violate warranty using the an SP/GF-6 API approved (shield or starburst) oil of any common weight so long as its not lighter than what is stamped on the oil cap.

Further more, many owners manuals mention towing and high speed driving as reasons you may consider a higher weight oil (how many times do folks have to post that line from the Toyota manuals).

Can we stop warning people that they will void their warranty if the cap says 0w-16 and they dare pour 0w-20 or 5w-30 or 0w-30 in there? Sheesh.

What if you used a 0W-16 in a Porsche calling for 0W-40 and the engine grenades at 40K? do you think that might void the warranty?

Or if an engine grenades purely from manufacturer defect or engineering malfeasance but you have a weight and type of oil not recommended by the manufacturer in the sump? Do you think it might be fought out in court?

So easy to play "barracks lawyer" Bitog...

Last edited:
FWIW the Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 spec is all over the place in 5W30 oils. Probably hard pressed to find one that doesn't meet it.

The manual calls for WSS-M2C946-B1, but the A1 is the newer spec and has superceeded B1.
I searched looking for that exact thing. The manual says WSS-M2C946-B1 but everything I was finding now says WSS-M2C961-A1 including Motorcraft Blend.
My Ranger is a 2020 and specs SN oil but I suppose SP superseded it and any SP is okay.
Was a loyal Pennzoil Platinum user for years based on good UOA's but since the pandemic and supply chain issues I've just been buying whatever name brand synthetic 5w-30 I can find. Put Valvoline Advanced 5w-30 in the other day. Change every 5k.
Wally Mart was out of FL-910S filters so I got an FL-400S which I'd read earlier will fit. Ranger filter is horizontal on the side of the block so no ground clearance issues like a Fiesta or Focus. Some specs are different but it should be okay and is a little bigger than the FL-910S.

Last edited:
Not hard, pull 3 Plastic screws from the driver's wheel well and reach in and grab it. Some of us replace the screws with high power magnets to make removal easier.

As a follow-up to the question about filter access. I decided on some GM twist-style fasteners for mine.

You do have to open the holes up just slightly, but we live in a no-salt area so that didn't bother me in the least.

71HjSh8vyAL._SX466_.jpg
IMG_20230617_115409404.jpg

Reactions: b_b
Back