Anyone have a cordless vac?

We got a dog again and I need a cordless stick vacuum for quick dog hair and kid messes on hardwood floors. Is the Dyson really with $500-650 or would a $150-$250 model suffice? If anyone has any experience I’m all ears.

I have a Makita XCV11Z that I like. In this portable shop-vac style, there are good models from several other manufacturers. Most are better than the "household" style, and of course can be used anywhere.

We have a Black & Decker Powerseries 20v MAX Cordless Stick Vacuum that works great. The Lithium Ion battery is removable and compatible with all of the other 20v MAX power tools that Black & Decker sells. Personally, I wouldn't pay $500-$600 for a cordless stick vac knowing how good this one works.

Received a Dyson stick as a gift and IMHO it is just so-so. Convenient, but not a serious suck the spilled salt out from under the moldings strong.
Also have a Ryobi 18V hand vac and the suction is stronger.

I was also gifted a Dyson and it works fine, though fur does accumulate in the beater bar head, and I wouldn't pay over $150 for it so if considering a Dyson, I'd look for a refurb. Since the use is only fur and hardwood floors, I'd avoid one with a beater bar since that's really only useful on carpet. I do use mine on carpet and it's not as deep cleaning as my ancient all metal tank of a vac, a Royal (similar to Kirby), but good enough for quick cleaning and a lot quieter.

Dog fur on furniture, I'd get a 2nd, hand held vac not a stick, from whatever brand of cordless tools you already have, if an option and that brand's vac isn't junk.

Last edited:
Bought a small Bissell cordless carpet spot unit for use on pet stains. It works acceptably well but the fluid reservoir is too small. Also the unit will only run for a few minutes before needing recharging. Regarding a Dyson. My brother had one and when he passed away I sold it. Neat gizmo but no better than a good vacuum.

If you want/need a quality vacuum get one of these little gems, a Miele. Best I've ever had.

Miele.jpg

Thanks everyone. Shark makes some that say “anti-hair wrap” so I’m definitely interested in that as my wife and 2 daughters have hair that gets wrapped around normal beater bars. It is hard to discern the differences even between Shark models and what an extra $1-200 really gets you. This is really just a quick touch-up vacuum for between Wednesdays when the cleaning lady comes. Certain times of the year it seems like the dog shedding is relentless and I’d like to just hit the major hair areas without dragging out a regular vacuum or a cord. We have a Dyson regular vac and a Beam central vac that get used weekly by the cleaning lady.

Never been impressed with the Dyson. And the proprietary battery is a non starter.

I have a bunch of these and love them:

181EB303-C703-4AA0-8175-72F3C10150B7.jpeg

Reactions: JC1
This will 'not' answer the OP question, but - Let's talk filters.

I bought a Shark, Model NV751 (corded).
It has three filters
1) Metal screen located inside clear canaster
2) Foam filter
3) HEPA filter
Any air exiting the vacuum is very clean.
Filter can be washed and reused.

Maybe not exactly helpful but if you're an M12 guy Milwaukee recently released a powered beater head for any vac. I personally think the overall concept is fantastic. No idea if it would be any good on pet hair. I have a Husky and my JL has a black interior so I should find out.....

I’ve got Ridgid power tools and batteries but they don’t make a stick vac. That Makita might be right up my alley though.

I recently got a Shark ICZ362H. Love it! I don’t use my corded ones anymore. Being able to zip around the house with no cords is wonderful.

$399 normally, often down to $349 (Best Buy, Amazon, etc.). I got an “open box” on eBay for $299.

Main gripe is the dust collection cup is pretty small. Have to dump often. Also pushing through thick carpet takes some effort. Especially compared to my corded Dyson DC25 Animal “Ball”. But that Dyson can’t handle my dog’s hair. Constant brush clogging and the hair has actually destroyed 3 cleaner heads.

0168D776-5E7C-462A-9F56-613752690C2B.jpeg

Well recently the 0940 has been $150 (down from a longtime price of $200) and I found it at Ohio Power Tool w free shipping.

Unfortunately, we have a Husky and I can tell you it's terrible on Husky fur. All the fur accumulates in the "whirly chamber" (this is the technical term of course) but never actually makes it into the receptacle. In this photo it's hard to see but the only thing in the receptacle is a bit of dust, clouding the interior view:
20220619_192146.jpg

Then once the WC (whirly chamber, duh) fills up it just starts filling the stick:
20220620_060657.jpg

Now I understand this was never intended as a pet vac but never before have I seen a vacuum that can't deposit what it picks up into the bag or canister (with obvious exceptions like large, long or oversize items).
20220620_060613.jpg

Beautiful dogs!

we have a dyson and it is adequate for regular vacuuming but we still kept the corded vac for big tasks. The corded eureka has been a bada$$ since 1996 and just needs belts and a new beater once. I cringed at the dyson cost but it allows my wife to vacuum roaches without screaming, which is about worth it.

i found a shark rechargeable on discount for my son 2 years ago at about half the cost - maybe $150 down from $225? IMO the shark has better quality construction. Dyson has a powerful motor but the vac around it just seems like a toy. The dyson cordless in my office had an electronic failure before it was 2 years old. If that had happened before I bought mine, I would not have bought the dyson.

Bought the Shark cordless pet plus or something. So far so good. Won’t replace a regular vacuum on carpet for us but is great for dog hair and crumbs from the kids on hardwood.

Back