Anyone haul their own Heating Oil?

If you're in a park, look to see what oil vendor comes rolling through. The guy I used to use, had a nickel discount if you could coordinate among the park residents for a delivery block-party. Or just ask at the management office. You seem to be reinventing a wheel that's already been developed.

I live in a 2 bedroom ranch with a full basement. It's heated via an outdoor wood furnace added to the original oil burning boiler. When I ran out of wood last winter, I put 40 gallons of diesel in the tank (I confess I'm not exactly good at being prepared, and the oil burner was considered emergency use only by the MIL so the tank was basically always empty) that lasted me exactly the 5 days I had to wait for the next load of wood to be delivered.

If there is any way you can get a tank in your basement or within the heat envelope of your house, do it! Around here external kerosene tanks are nearly exclusively for mobile homes.

The Northeast is having issues getting kerosene, and it's like $7/gal due to the war in Europe.

You don't want to "time the market" ordering Kerosene just before a cold snap. Mother Nature waits for no one. You'll want Kerosene, all the time, save maybe for one order in April to get through the summer, especially if you get your hot water from your boiler.

If I owned a 55 gal barrell, I'd fill it up, stabilize it, and hold it in reserve. Then I'd have the oil company deliver fuel.

How many gallons do you need / use in a typical winter to heat your house ?

If you're in a park, look to see what oil vendor comes rolling through. The guy I used to use, had a nickel discount if you could coordinate among the park residents for a delivery block-party. Or just ask at the management office. You seem to be reinventing a wheel that's already been developed.
We're not in a park. Most other houses (mix of mobiles and small ranches) on the street have been switched to gas already. It's a 2 mile road out through the woods that was split up into lots between 1 and 2 acres. Kinda an Oswego County attempt at one of those more prosperous suburban developments. But it's Oswego county, so there's plenty of abandon Chevies on blocks.

I live in a 2 bedroom ranch with a full basement. It's heated via an outdoor wood furnace added to the original oil burning boiler. When I ran out of wood last winter, I put 40 gallons of diesel in the tank (I confess I'm not exactly good at being prepared, and the oil burner was considered emergency use only by the MIL so the tank was basically always empty) that lasted me exactly the 5 days I had to wait for the next load of wood to be delivered.
Hello there , northern neighbor! I'm in Hastings. You guys get REALLY cold in the winter there!

Not cheap, that's for sure. However, I have heard that National Grid will run the first 100 feet for free. We're 140 feet off the road. I'd need to see what they would need to run the rest of the way to a meter. Then it's just simple gas plumbing from there to everything.

But natural gas futures aren't looking as good either.

I went propane at my ADK camp in OF, which is a mobile. Converted from oil, put a 95% efficient furnace in as no natural gas in the area.
With the north country subzero low temps and place at 52f when not there and at 68f when we are there, I average 350 gal. of propane per year. Stove, heat and Generac on the propane.

How many gallons do you need / use in a typical winter to heat your house ?
Probably 400-500 a year but that includes domestic hot water. I also burn about 2 cord of wood and am replacing some of that oil with an electric heat pump starting as of last March.

Well crap ..

Measured the tank yesterday. 275 gallon. My dimensions calculated out to 300 gallons, but standard size is 275. I could have ordered 100 gallons over the summer when it was $3/gallon cheaper. That's good to know I guess.

Got the first 55 gallons in. Another 68 to get to full! I'm ordering a filter for it so I can get that changed. I have some time off in November so I'll service the whole thing - nozzle, screen, burner.

Lifetime, I've bought 3 "275" gal oil tanks. Each one took very close to 250 gal. to initially fill. Maybe it was just the ones I bought.

No. 2 heating oil is not actually the same thing as the ULS diesel sold today. At one time they essentially were the same, when road fuel was way higher sulfur content. In actuality, much what is passed off as #2 heating oil today in some areas is the same thing as ULS diesel. In Pa., the legal sulphur level of home heating oil was lowered but not nearly to the level of ULS diesel. More and more dealers are now just selling ULS as both fuels and dropping the real #2 oil. In NY state, only ULS fuel can be sold as heating oil.

Lifetime, I've bought 3 "275" gal oil tanks. Each one took very close to 250 gal. to initially fill. Maybe it was just the ones I bought.
I think it has to do with how far down the vent is. Once you get close to the vent, it's full

Whoops . Been running highway diesel treated with howes all winter. Dropped 30 gallons of kerosene in the tank on Monday with the anticipation of the cold Temps.

Did good Friday night but ended up gelling up yesterday at noon. Woke up Saturday morning to it spitting and sputtering but kept running all morning. Took the propane torch to the line where it goes through the block "foundation" , that's where they usually gel.

Good to go ! But it is warming up now.

Back