Anyone haul their own Heating Oil?

1 mile away? grab 5 5 gallon cans and go at it.

First winter in the house. Not sure yet. Within the next year or two, we'd like to go with an outdoor gas furnace. But that requires getting a gas line run to the house.
outdoor gas furnace? How does that work?
if you have natural gas available switch asap.. even at todays prices its about 1/5th the cost.

I've been filling my tank 10-15 gallons at a time throughout the summer to get me to 3/4 of a tank. Offroad diesel has ranged from $3.99-$5.19 throughout the summer. Right now heating oil is $5.20 and Kero is $8.00 (both delivered price). Pretty sure I'm gonna grab a couple more of those electric oil filled heaters and turn off the furnace. I can't do it this year....
Welcome to PA Adam🤣🤣🤣

Call a dealer and tell them what you told us. You're new to town, looking to establish a relationship, only need 75 gallons, could they maybe top you off when they're in the neighborhood anyway without incurring the
That said

Get a heat pump and wood stove. Between the three you'll be able to handle energy crises and power outages.

#2 oil delivered is $5.09 here. Price just dropped 20 cents. Is your tank inside? Should be able to run straight #2.

I have run oil to my furnace under specific circumstances. One January a few years back they sold my oil dealer and most of the drivers quit in protest. The dealer was futzing around and not admitting they had massive internal problems, "but if you have automatic delivery you'll be fine." Oh, and it was 10 to 15 below all week.

Did some more this spring when there was arbitrage between skyrocketing delivered prices and a few forgotten pumps. Had most of a tank full but wanted to top off. Even paid some road tax I didn't need to! I find it's best to not use any spout on my jerry can but to just pour smooth and slow and let the flow get going down the pipe so it almost "siphons" more of it along. I have a ratty piece of plywood catch any dribbles.

If you buy Off-road diesel during winter you might get a diesel-kero blend anyway. This matters for your proportions but it has slightly fewer BTUs, which will mess up your value math.

Last edited:
So I have a question, otherwise I have not much to add to the OP's question.
Here in Northern AZ we don't have oil heaters for houses per say. we have shop heaters they look like a furnace but burn used motor oil. Are the heaters you all speak up the same thing? Could they be used to burn the used oil?
Out here people use a old large 500-2000 gallon propane tanks converted and with a pump to feed the furnaces.
we don't have to use a thinner like kerosene, one guy used naphtha a few times that I know of. else he says it's all straight used oil taken from a local oil change house and truck fleet owner.

1 mile away? grab 5 5 gallon cans and go at it.

outdoor gas furnace? How does that work?
if you have natural gas available switch asap.. even at todays prices its about 1/5th the cost.

I guess they're called "package units". I never heard of them before. To save space in my old house, the buyer is going to do a package AC / gas furnace unit outside. All you need to do is punch a hole in the foundation and plumb it into the duct work. Since we're in a double wide, space would be nice! I can pour a bad off to the side and there we go.
Some examples are here https://www.alpinehomeair.com/categ...ined-packaged-units/natural-gas-or-lp/14-seer

There is gas on the road. I will have to have a line/meter run to the house first.

Are the heaters you all speak up the same thing? Could they be used to burn the used oil?
Out here people use a old large 500-2000 gallon propane tanks converted and with a pump to feed the furnaces.
we don't have to use a thinner like kerosene, one guy used naphtha a few times that I know of. else he says it's all straight used oil taken from a local oil change house and truck fleet owner.

There are waste oil burners / furnaces that can run crappy oil mixes. They usually just burn and run and have very basic thermostats. The filtration system is extremely important. If you get oil with a lot of metal shavings or dirt in it, you can really mess up the nozzles. I know a few people who heat shops with them ( I have no problem getting rid of waste oil that's for sure). Usually they run 3 or 4 holding tanks out of old 55 gallon drums and draw from the top, then through a bunch of filters.

Coolant / water is VERY bad so they all have to let it sit for a while to get the water stuff to separate out to the bottom.

But I have a fuel oil furnace. It basically burns diesel / kerosene in a furnace. They don't do so well with waste oil , once they get too much soot in them, they won't burn right and will end up going through a LOT of fuel.

I mean haul diesel fuel yourself.
That's the plan. But with an outside tank, I have to run a blend.

When we bought the house in the spring, the tank was 3/4 full. Sellers didn't charge us for the fuel in the tank - so that's a win.

The local fuel oil supplier won't deliver for less than 100 gallons. We still don't need 100 gallons of fuel.

I called them the other day and the current price is $6.89 for blended fueloil delivered with 100 gallon minimum. Diesel and Kerosene are both right aroud $5.50 a gallon locally. That's going to save me literal hundreds over the winter if I get myself.

Originally I was going to just get 10 or so gallons at a time. One can of kero, one can of diesel. But that would take some time. A friend suggested getting a 55 gallon drum and doing myself. Sttarted to look into that and apparently it's legal for me to haul up to 110 gallons at a time.

I got an empty NEW motor oil barrel. I am thinking of strapping it on a pallet on the back of my small trailer and running to the pumps and buying 25 gallons of each at a time then coming home and pumping into the tank .

Anyone else do this?
Wow, downstate NY on Long Island you can get it delivered for $5 a gallon @ 150 gallons. Cash and it gets even less if you buy 200 gallons
Maybe try this site? I never used them, no longer live up there but remember hunting for best oil prices = https://www.fuelsnap.com/

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 11.30.15 AM.png

Just so we are clear #2 oil is #2 oil no matter the name or color. "Heating oil" "off road diesel", and "on road diesel" are #2 fuel oil. Second, tractor supply and rural king have truck mount fuel tanks ranging from 36 gallons up to 125. Pretty sure the 36s are less than 400$

I know a thing or two about hauling and pumping diesel lol

Attachments

• 16669748982954456590372296725784.jpg
    16669748982954456590372296725784.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 13
I haul my own fuel from time to time.

Just use regular pump diesel or off road if you can find it. NO need to blend in kerosene. If you have an outside tank and are worried about the fuel gelling up add Howes Diesel Treat. It also helps to insulate the lines running to the tank where they are outside in the weather.

Just so we are clear #2 oil is #2 oil no matter the name or color. "Heating oil" "off road diesel", and "on road diesel" are #2 fuel oil. Second, tractor supply and rural king have truck mount fuel tanks ranging from 36 gallons up to 125. Pretty sure the 36s are less than 400$
No. While they can be the same thing they don't have to be. Different standards to conform to.

I know a thing or two about hauling and pumping diesel lol
Ok.......
You don't need to "blend" anything. Fuel at the pump is already winterized this time of year. Don't waste good money on #1 kero
No. Once again it can be but doesn't mean that it is.

Are you sure the tank is only 175 gallons? Most are 275.

You only need blended if the tank is outside. If in the basement you need regular fuel oil.

Consider a second tank. People sell them cheap or give them away when they convert to gas. My last house had 2x275 in the basement.

Get a relationship with a fuel oil supplier. Shop around. Some will give you a price guarantee if you agree to purchase all your fuel from them.

I bought 35 gallons of diesel last night in the barrel. Unfortunately the kerosene pump in town doesn't have a long enough nozzle to reach anything but a 5 gallon can on the ground. But I'll do 35 gallons / 10 gallons mix for now and see where that gets me. If I need more, I'll refill on diesel again and then drop in some kerosene as needed.

I got to test how well it held up to sloshing. Someone decided to jump out Infront of me and I had to evasively maneuver to avoid hitting them. it didn't move an inch.

1667307803208.jpg

I haul my own fuel from time to time.

Just use regular pump diesel or off road if you can find it. NO need to blend in kerosene. If you have an outside tank and are worried about the fuel gelling up add Howes Diesel Treat. It also helps to insulate the lines running to the tank where they are outside in the weather.

I do have an outside tank. I'll have to check into the diesel treat. We don't drop too cold here, but will have a week of -20 or -30 nights. Those may be kerosene weeks

You don't need to "blend" anything. Fuel at the pump is already winterized this time of year. Don't waste good money on #1 kero
Interesting!

Are you sure the tank is only 175 gallons? Most are 275.

You only need blended if the tank is outside. If in the basement you need regular fuel oil.

Consider a second tank. People sell them cheap or give them away when they convert to gas. My last house had 2x275 in the basement.

Get a relationship with a fuel oil supplier. Shop around. Some will give you a price guarantee if you agree to purchase all your fuel from them.

I'll have to take the measurements and do the calculations myself. Seller said 175, oil company that the sellers used also confirmed 175 gallon. But it does seem small.

Heating oil is died low sulfur #2 oil, diesel is died or undied ultra low sulfur #2 oil from what I can tell.
No. While they can be the same thing they don't have to be. Different standards to conform to.

Heating oil is just dyed diesel. No road tax on dyed diesel, that's why it's dyed red and why they dip big truck tanks at road inspections.
Most kerosene is dyed red now also for the same reason.
Road diesel is not ''winterized'' enough for outside tank storage at extended below freezing storage. It will jell up in the lines.
They sell Hot or Heat brands specifically for heating oil outside tanks. And even then, if it's cold enough it will jell in the line going to the house or in the elbow under the tank. Even with a kero mix in subzero temps.
One learns about that when you're out there in the cold with a propane torch heating up your fuel lines at 5 AM to get oil flowing until you box and insulate your tank. Flood light on a thermo cube under it along with leaving a bottle of Heat for the delivery guy to add when getting a delivery solves the issues.
I guess I was smart when my D in L who works for an oil Co. got me a pre buy at $3.99 / gal. in the summer.
If I had natural gas in my neighborhood, I could not dig a trench to the road fast enough.

I guess I was smart when my D in L who works for an oil Co. got me a pre buy at $3.99 / gal. in the summer.
If I had natural gas in my neighborhood, I could not dig a trench to the road fast enough.

We have gas on the road. I know what it'll cost to dig a trench to my house (had to have the water line replaced). We were planning on upgrading to gas in a year or two, but having to replace the water line has pushed that down the road a bit more. But I can't wait until we can get a gas furnace and tankless water heater!

I do have an outside tank. I'll have to check into the diesel treat. We don't drop too cold here, but will have a week of -20 or -30 nights. Those may be kerosene weeks
If there is any way you can get a tank in your basement or within the heat envelope of your house, do it! Around here external kerosene tanks are nearly exclusively for mobile homes.

The Northeast is having issues getting kerosene, and it's like $7/gal due to the war in Europe.

You don't want to "time the market" ordering Kerosene just before a cold snap. Mother Nature waits for no one. You'll want Kerosene, all the time, save maybe for one order in April to get through the summer, especially if you get your hot water from your boiler.

If I owned a 55 gal barrell, I'd fill it up, stabilize it, and hold it in reserve. Then I'd have the oil company deliver fuel.

If there is any way you can get a tank in your basement or within the heat envelope of your house, do it! Around here external kerosene tanks are nearly exclusively for mobile homes.

The Northeast is having issues getting kerosene, and it's like $7/gal due to the war in Europe.

You don't want to "time the market" ordering Kerosene just before a cold snap. Mother Nature waits for no one. You'll want Kerosene, all the time, save maybe for one order in April to get through the summer, especially if you get your hot water from your boiler.

If I owned a 55 gal barrell, I'd fill it up, stabilize it, and hold it in reserve. Then I'd have the oil company deliver fuel.

We're a mobile home. There is a concrete pad and block skirting. There might actually be enough space to put one under the house in that area but eventually we're going with gas.

Back