Anyone ever heard of grand prix oil filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to buy a case for $21.00 The guy says he thinks they are champ labs filters. Are these any good? or are they junk ? I'll probably use them on my camry, grandma's camry, and my friends corolla.
Here is the link to what they look like:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-Oil-Fi...sQ5fAccessories

let me know what you think. If they are the same as supertech I think I'll buy them.

Thanks,
Justin

Could be anywhere from ho hum to a good deal, $21/12=$1.75, about as good as the Total Grips and other Purolator made bys. Depending how old they are, and if that is an Ecore model, they could be thread end bypass Ecores or old conventional constructed ones with thread end bypass. I don't know about the other numbers, but the ST 3950 once had a thread end bypass. I think they should be anywhere from average to good.

Just talked to Champ Labs, and they advised me that they haven't made this brand for at least 10 years. He also advised me not to use the filters due to their age ???? Seems wierd, I thought as long as they were kept in a clean dry enviroment they didn't have a shelf life that had to be worried about.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks,
Justin

I've read replies from various filter manufacturers that ranged from "3-5 years" to "7 years" for shelf life. I would think that 10 years is well over the limit. I personally won't use a filter that is more than 3 years old just to be safe.

Check a 10 year old newspaper. There are ways to formulate stuff, paper, rubber, plastic, etc. to make it last longer. Books get better paper than newspaper. I doubt the manufacturers use archive quality acid free paper in their filters.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I've read replies from various filter manufacturers that ranged from "3-5 years" to "7 years" for shelf life. I would think that 10 years is well over the limit. I personally won't use a filter that is more than 3 years old just to be safe.

^^ +1 ^^

I cut open a 20 year old fram and the media didn't feel dried out, the rubber ADBV was still flexible. I used two others from the same yard sale and nothing blew up.
lol.gif

If price is paramount, get 13 powerflos from AA with the $10/25 coupon, at least they'll be new stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back