Anyone else get this recent e-mail from Venmo?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Trying to see if this e-mail received yesterday from Venmo is legit. Came to my gmail.

We need a bit more info from you so we can confirm
your identity and help keep your account secure. We’re required to gather this information if you want to keep using your balance in order to comply with federal regulation.

Yeah, scams have not slowed - phone calls, emails, and now (drum roll) texts !
We do mock phishing attacks at work and it’s sad to see some still fail …

I rec'd a similar email recently but ignored it. Now, just because I rec'd it doesn't mean the one you got is legit. Scammers see what kind of emails that companies send and just imitate them.

Like @nomas says, log in directly to Venmo (or Paypal or your bank or whatever) and if something needs resolved or updated, it will tell you there.

I would log into Venmo and check. There are a slew of scams out there as others have mentioned. However, if you log into Venmo and find the same message I would not be surprised. There are new laws being proposed by the federal government that means they will need to track Venmo, PayPal, etc type accounts via Social Security Number just like a regular bank account.

I get those all the time (not from Venmo). Got one last night from "Spectrum". I checked the email address it came from, and was [email protected]. That is obviously a highjacked address, so in the trash it went. I most often get those emails from banks with whom I've never done business.

As earlier replies have mentioned, NEVER click on the link provided in the email, even if you think the email is legit. Access your accunt as you normally would and check it out that way.

the simple thing you can do is to click reply and see what email address the reply will be going to. If its not a company email address then delete. But I still would not click on any link in the email even if the reply email address looks OK.

the simple thing you can do is to click reply and see what email address the reply will be going to. If its not a company email address then delete. But I still would not click on any link in the email even if the reply email address looks OK.
That is not a reliable check. In the past, and maybe some still allow it, you can set whatever reply-to address you want to use in your email program. It can still be done with the right tools (that spammers will be using).

Last edited:
Yeah, scams have not slowed - phone calls, emails, and now (drum roll) texts !
We do mock phishing attacks at work and it’s sad to see some still fail …
Same here.

In fact I just received a test e-mail 2 weeks ago claiming to be from Amazon about a recent order. 2 problems; 1) I did not place an order and 2) I never use my work e-mail for that sort of thing. I pushed the 'report suspicious e-mail' button and got the 'Congratulations, you passed' pop-up.

But since people keep failing, I guess they have to keep testing.

Reactions: 4WD
In fact I just received a test e-mail 2 weeks ago claiming to be from Amazon about a recent order.... 2) I never use my work e-mail for that sort of thing.
I knew a person that rec'd a phishing email (this was ~15 years) pretending to be eBay or Paypal and it was sent to the person's work e-mail. He caught that it went to his work email right away but wouldn't drop it. I told him just delete it but he was overly concerned about a) how did they get this email address, b) have I been hacked, c) are they stealing my money, and on and on. The crux of his issue was how did they "guess" his work e-mail and no explaining that "they guessed" (or put together random combinations of first-initial-last-name @ randomcompanyname.com email address would work).

That is not a reliable check. In the past, and maybe some still allow it, you can set whatever reply-to address you want to use in your email program. It can still be done with the right tools (that spammers will be using).
Often you can hover the cursor without clicking over the sender address and the actual e-mail it was sent from will appear. Works for me in Hotmail/Outlook. You'll probably see alphabet garbage for the actual e-mail, which is your warning.

Got a scammy looking text this morning. For the life of me, could not figure out what they were after.

I suggested it was a first step. If the email is not the company's domain name but gmail or yahoo or AOL or HOTMAIL then discard, no need to look further. The check is quick and easy on a phone and tells you if its bad but not if its good.

Actually it was from Venmo. When I pasted it, only the first part of the e-mail posted. Here is the full e-mail- it is a long read. Sorry I failed to check/ proof what I pasted/ posted. I did go into the app and do the update. If I was wrong.... and I am flawed and imperfect..... guess someone from Eastern Europe, Jamaica, or West Africa is going to get a little coin from me.

I posted this question- thinking if I received it, members of this forum that are Venmo user also would of received it. I am surprised I am the only one to receive this:

Confirm your info by November 1st
We need a bit more info from you so we can confirm
your identity and help keep your account secure. We’re required to gather this information if you want to keep using your balance in order to comply with federal regulation.​
J8-xKIgM9s8j1k86GyFngwa7qi7KA0R100bJqTjsUogj1bDmVjQ9BBn1YVfxcIcjHyk0ud_jzHjg6rJFQY8=s0-d-e1-ft

Go to Settings in the app​
Tap on Identity Verification
Provide some basic info​
If you don’t confirm by November 1st, you won’t be able to use the money in your Venmo account to send or spend. Don't worry, you'll still be able to make payments funded by a linked payment method and withdraw money from your Venmo account.​

That sounds like the same email I rec'd but I ignored it and will probably continue ignoring because I don't keep money in my Venmo account. I rarely receive money.... seems like I'm always sending it !! :ROFLMAO: I suppose I will need to update things for the rare time someone sends me money so that I can transfer it to my bank.

Back