Anyone collect modern or older oil containers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when oil came in a round metal qt. can. Some probably remember it in bottles. What about today? anything of interest? Seems the packaging changes almost every year.

I do. For some strange reason I collect one bottle from every different oil that I see. I line them up along the upper wall in my garage. I especially like to collect the odd-ball oils that are generic in nature. ie: Supertech, GI-Joes, etc.

Of course I only feel comfortable admiting all this in the company of fellow BITOG's. I wouldn't dare mention this at social gatherings.
blush.gif

My antique oil can and bottle collection has at last count around 520 cans and bottles. Everything from 1 quart to 55 gallon drums. I don't collect the modern stuff.

I bought a couple of collector bottles of Pennzoil and Quaker State 10w30 that came out a couple of years ago, shaped like Nascars. Other than that, I really don't "collect" oil, although I do have some oil in my stash that I probably won't ever use, so I guess it's become part of the "collection" now.
smile.gif

I got started collecting Kendall oil containers years ago. An older friend of a friend kept putting his one old Kendall oil can in the neighborhood garage sale year after year. One year my wife took pity on him and bought the can and gave it to me. I then, of course, had the start of a "collection."

I have a few old cans including Veedol, Kendal, Quaker State, Valvoline, and Cam2, as well as a few ATF and a lawn mower oil all in the old round cans. I have a couple boxes of empty modern bottles in the attic (even garbage picked at the auto part store a few times to get a good variety). I may save a bottle of Maxlife SAE30 because I believe it is not discontinued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back