Anyone buy Honda DW-1 ATF from Amazon? Re: 2013 Honda Pilot ATF 60k service:

Messages
1,326
Location
South Texas
It's time again to drain/refill our 2013 Honda Pilot's ATF. Honda's "Maintenance Monitor" advises to service the ATF approx every 30k miles. This will be the 2nd time to drain/refill the ATF, as it is approaching 60k miles. The first time I serviced it, I used Honda DW-1 ATF I sourced from a local dealer and at that time was around $8/quart from what I recollect. The two local Honda dealers now want $12/qt which is ridiculous. I found that Amazon has a 4-pack of Honda DW-1 quart bottles for $34.96, which is more reasonable at $8.75/qt. Link to Amazon 4-pack DW-1 ATF Has anyone ever bought this 4-pack from Amazon before? My concern is that Amazon occasionally has counterfeit products branded as OEM parts. The listing has 1,100+ ratings with 92% 5-star and zero 3-2-1 star reviews. Also, does the crush washer have to be replaced, or can it be reused? Thanks!
 
Messages
4,685
Location
Ohio
Ask the dealers for a better price. Many will knock a little bit off. I bought some less than a year ago and they were under $10/quart. I asked how much the crush washer was and the guy told me it was $2-3 ! I told him, "that's a bit steep, no thanks" and then he handed it to me for free. As for replacing the washers, before I went and bought a dozen of them, I would flip them over once so I get two intervals out of it. They're so soft and deform so easily - I can't believe some people use them over and over and over.
 
Messages
8,352
Location
Champlain/Hudson Valley
Just for giggles I went to your product's link and submitted a question to the seller. I think there's little chance of making a profit on selling counterfeit transmission fluid through Amazon. I'd buy that 4 pack with confidence. The 14mm aluminum crush washer (gasket) is commonly reused by people. I've been dressing my metal drain gaskets with sintered brass & man-made diamond cloth for years now. I also bought a bag of these so I could give some to my brother. He's one person who'd ridicule me to death for reviving washers. PM me and I'll mail you one free of charge if you like.
 

JOD

Messages
3,577
Location
PNW/WA
man, I've seen so much counterfeit stuff that I think I'd look for an authorized dealer selling on Amazon or Ebay. Someplace like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0 I've reused the crush washer, but first flipping it around, and next time annealing it on a gas stove. Yes, I know this is pretty shade tree and I'm not saying this is best practice, but it worked for me on a Honda transmission--no leakes.
 
Messages
1,506
Location
TX
I've purchased 12pk from amazon last year - no issues. 8qts out of 12 are in my pilot right now. As for the crushwasher, last year i changed ATF i have re-used it - no leaks (but give it a good visual inspection before installing)
 
Messages
14,513
Location
The Old North State
I have not ordered DW1 from Amazon, I use ML. That said, I believe the DW1 listing is authentic. Personally I've purchased auto parts off Amazon many times and generally speaking don't put them in same category as ebay. Just Me. If you're truly concerned and/or in doubt though, for $5 more the Amazon listing also shows for a Honda dealer out of Johnson City Tenn. Your call on whether it's worth the price premium. As an aside, College Hills Honda shows top retail price $8.25. Not sure where those local stealers coming up with ~$12/qt, but seems like gouging to me.
 
Messages
5,945
Location
Los Gatos, CA
I have bought and used Amazon DW-1 many times. Sometimes I replace the crusher washer, but rarely. I now use the Idemitsu equivalent that comes in jugs. Good job taking care of your Honda!
 
Messages
4,685
Location
Ohio
Originally Posted by Sayjac
As an aside, College Hills Honda shows top retail price $8.25, not sure where those local stealers coming up with ~$12/qt, but seems like gouging to me.
College Hills charges $25.67 for shipping (4) bottles to me (and I'm in Ohio where they are too). They're showing the price as $6.93/each, by the way. Works out to $13.35/quart.
 
Messages
14,513
Location
The Old North State
My reference to CH price is "strictly" what they show as Honda top retail price listing, full stop. Wasn't recommending purchase from CH or elsewhere. Couldn't care less what their shipped price is as not at all the point. As confirmation, Majestic Honda Parts listing also shows same top retail/list price CH shows, $8.25/qt.
 
Messages
1,206
Location
Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Islandvic
It's time again to drain/refill our 2013 Honda Pilot's ATF. Honda's "Maintenance Monitor" advises to service the ATF approx every 30k miles. This will be the 2nd time to drain/refill the ATF, as it is approaching 60k miles. The first time I serviced it, I used Honda DW-1 ATF I sourced from a local dealer and at that time was around $8/quart from what I recollect. The two local Honda dealers now want $12/qt which is ridiculous. I found that Amazon has a 4-pack of Honda DW-1 quart bottles for $34.96, which is more reasonable at $8.75/qt. Link to Amazon 4-pack DW-1 ATF Has anyone ever bought this 4-pack from Amazon before? My concern is that Amazon occasionally has counterfeit products branded as OEM parts. The listing has 1,100+ ratings with 92% 5-star and zero 3-2-1 star reviews. Also, does the crush washer have to be replaced, or can it be reused?Thanks!
Let me look at it from a different perspective; the savings would be approx $ 13 and for this savings you are risking your transmission??!!
 
Messages
4,685
Location
Ohio
Originally Posted by Sayjac
My reference to CH price is "strictly" what they show as Honda top retail price listing, full stop. Majestic Honda Parts listing also shows same top retail/list price CH shows, $8.25/qt.
Sorry, misunderstood when you referred to the $8.25 price. I presumed the retail price was higher, like in the $10-12/quart range. In fact, I'm positive it used to be in that price range. I bet you dealers know it's cheaper per bottle online (Amazon, Bernardi, etc) but once shipping cost is factored, they end up fairly close, so they don't lose sleep selling it for the $12/quart price. More importantly, people are buying it....
 
Messages
14,513
Location
The Old North State
Don't know what DW1 may have been in the past, just quoting current top list to OP for comparison. Since Bernardi mentioned, same list price there too, $8.25/qt. Don't know about stealers ending up close in price either. Eg., recently purchased Honda OEM pressure switches. Two local stealers wanted full list, ~$80 each. Went to Amazon and used a dealer there (Cawood) for switches. ~$58 each shipped, quick delivery. So a ~30% savings in price. But if one is a captive local stealer purchaser, they charge what they can get...because they can. But not from me, and I sleep perfectly. As for topic DW1, if I did use it and quoted the OP price $12/qt, they could pound sand.
 
Messages
4,685
Location
Ohio
I'd probably lean towards the Amazon bottles unless the local dealer would sell them for under $10/bottle. I'll pay a little more when I buy locally. What is odd about the Amazon listing is they're sold by "B.P.W." and they sell random auto parts. I have never seen (genuine) Honda fluids sold anywhere except for dealers.
 
Messages
11,147
Location
USA
I never replace the washer hide You can use Maxlife with no problem. Another very good ATF is Castrol Full Synthetic, which goes on sale a few times a year for $5/qt smile
 
Messages
1,396
Location
Athens, GA
Bought DW1 from Amazon and Ebay without problems in the past. Usually pay $89 for 12 quarts, or therebouts. Haven't done it though since the 5qt bottles of H+ came into being.
 

Islandvic

Thread starter
Messages
1,326
Location
South Texas
Really? No autosave? Ha. Ok, third time's a charm I guess.... After a detail response i hit the back button too many times and upon returning to the thread my response was gone. So I typed out another response and the phone died. Busy doing water changes on our aquariums. I plug phone back into my battery brick and get back to the forum and respond a second time, then after hitting Post Reply the site wants me to log back in, which I do and promptly get returned to main page, and again response is gone. HA! So I will make it short..... Thanks for all the responses! It's been awhile since I've regularly posted and it's good to see the forum still has member quick to respond with great info, experience and knowledge. BITOG is the best! I just realized I joined 15 years ago! @sayjac, yes the stealership can go pound sand after quoting me apparently what is 45% above normal list price. For those who advised about the Idemitsu, Maxlife, etc etc, yes I would consider those under normal circumstances but the Pilot is under the Honda Care extended service contract until Sept 2021, so I want to use OEM ATF. That's why I'm sticking to the Maintenance Minder for now and its 5k OCI's. I hate dumping good oil, but oh well. PM's sent....
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,506
Location
TX
Originally Posted by Islandvic
Really? No autosave? Ha. Ok, third time's a charm I guess.... After a detail response i hit the back button too many times and upon returning to the thread my response was gone. So I typed out another response and the phone died. Busy doing water changes on our aquariums. I plug phone back into my battery brick and get back to the forum and respond a second time, then after hitting Post Reply the site wants me to log back in, which I do and promptly get returned to main page, and again response is gone. HA! So I will make it short..... Thanks for all the responses! It's been awhile since I've regularly posted and it's good to see the forum still has member quick to respond with great info, experience and knowledge. BITOG is the best! I just realized I joined 15 years ago! @sayjac, yes the stealership can go pound sand after quoting me apparently what is 45% above normal list price. For those who advised about the Idemitsu, Maxlife, etc etc, yes I would consider those under normal circumstances but the Pilot is under the Honda Care extended service contract until Sept 2021, so I want to use OEM ATF. That's why I'm sticking to the Maintenance Minder for now and its 5k OCI's. I hate dumping good oil, but oh well. PM's sent....
Can I ask you where is the 5K OCI for ATF coming from? My pilot is also under Honda Care till 2021 but there's not a word anywhere that ATF fluids needs to be changed every 5k
 

Islandvic

Thread starter
Messages
1,326
Location
South Texas
It's around 5k OCI for engine oil, I didn't specify originally. 30k for ATF At least servicing these cars are easy. Hopefully I say the same thing when it's time to replace the timing belt !
 
Top