Any way to dull the dash buttons?

On vehicles that have radio and heater buttons pressed frequently and develop a shine compared to the others, is there any trick to "re - dull" them to match the rest?

On vehicles that have radio and heater buttons pressed frequently and develop a shine compared to the others, is there any trick to "re - dull" them to match the rest?
If the shine is on frequently used buttons, it might be finger/skin oils and other years of buildup. Best way to clean would be a very mild or diluted all purpose cleaner (or even maybe a few drops of dawn in water) and agitating very gently with a light detailer's brush and wiping off with a clean microfiber/cloth. Let dry and repeat if you see some progress and if it's needed.

If unsure about this, test it in an inconspicuous spot first.

I use diluted hair shampoo** in a little bucket made out of a cut-in-half windshield washer bottle and use a terry cloth wash cloth. Was all plastic bits and dash and door cards. Works fantastic.

I think it is Paul Mitchell Shampoo One. Works stunningly as a car wash also. No Kidding.

I'd try screen cleaner as it's safe on delicate plastics but is designed to remove smudges, fingerprints etc.

Are those hard plastic buttons or plastic buttons with a rubber-like coating that has worn off? I have successfully dulled shiny plastic with a melamine sponge but it was a flat surface rather than a button.

Most likely body oil build up. Just use an interior cleaner and rub gently with a microfiber towel. If it's built up it can take a decent amount of gently scrubbing.

If the matte finish has been rubbed smooth then you're SOL.

Back