Any update on Nissan CVT issues and fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JTK
…. I thought we were talking the whole diptube or whatever you wanna call it for refilling was deleted.,,,
In one of the yt videos I've heard it called a "charging tube" and the plug a "dummy plug". But I know what you mean.

However I'll take a dipstick fluid level check anytime, over the 'drain from one hole then fill and open another drain hole at a specific temp range, and check to make sure fluid flows out of that hole just right, then close. On high ground clearance vehicles latter might be easier with level ground, lower clearance vehicles not so much. Honda's CVT fluid level check method doesn't require reading temp, just follow procedure.

Recently just bought a used 2015 Juke with 36K miles and I went ahead and had the dealership dump and refill the CVT Fluid, the Transfer Case and the Rear Diff fluids. Peace of mind.

Originally Posted by skip029
Recently just bought a used 2015 Juke with 36K miles and I went ahead and had the dealership dump and refill the CVT Fluid....
Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind the question, how much for CVT d&f service? Or was it part of the purchase agreement? Seems like a good move.

Recently just bought a used 2015 Juke with 36K miles and I went ahead and had the dealership dump and refill the CVT Fluid, the Transfer Case and the Rear Diff fluids. Peace of mind.

Very wise to have that done at that age/mileage. This is another Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid application. I've found that what you drain out will be the darkest looking at that ~30-40K mile range, so you have to assume you are removing the largest amount of wear materials with that first drain/fill.

Just a FYI, but I just did a quick check on my FIL's new 2019 Nissan Rogue and indeed the CVT still has the same diptube with the tab lock black plastic cap on it. They still have a drain plug and level check plug as well.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Recently just bought a used 2015 Juke with 36K miles and I went ahead and had the dealership dump and refill the CVT Fluid....
Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind the question, how much for CVT d&f service? Or was it part of the purchase agreement? Seems like a good move.

Tranny drain refill was part of the agreement. When I asked if Transfer case and rear differential was the same procedure/included they said no and said it'd be $159 for that service.

Originally Posted by acedogblast
My mother drives a 2016 Nissan Sentra with the CVT and is approaching 30,000 miles. I have heard that Nissan CVT were bad a while back and good old Scotty Kilmer still says that they are the worst and recommends changing the CVT fluid every 30,000 miles. Reading a long old thread tells me that since Nissan stated to use NS-3 fluid, their CVTs are getting better. Is their any update on this and should I be changing it at 30,000 miles and if I do, are there any good alternatives than the OE fluid?

What does the manual indicate? Does it say to change CVt fluid or to have Nissan check only?

Originally Posted by fortesquieu

What does the manual indicate? Does it say to change CVt fluid or to have Nissan check only?

Per Nissan from I believe day one of them using Jatco CVTs until present:

"Visually inspect for signs of leakage at
specified intervals.
If towing a trailer, using a camper or
car-top carrier, or driving on rough or
muddy roads:
â— Replace the fluid/oil every
20,000 miles or 24 months.

â— For these vehicles with a CVT
transmission, cube, Murano (except HEV), Altima, Altima Coupe,
Juke, Maxima, Rogue, (except
HEV), NV200, Sentra, Pathfinder
(except HEV), Quest and Versa,
replace the CVT fluid every
60,000 miles or request the dealer
to inspect the fluid deterioration
data using a CONSULT. If the deterioration data is more than
210000, replace the CVT fluid."

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by fortesquieu

Per Nissan from I believe day one of them using Jatco CVTs until present:

"Visually inspect for signs of leakage at
specified intervals.
If towing a trailer, using a camper or
car-top carrier, or driving on rough or
muddy roads:
â— Replace the fluid/oil every
20,000 miles or 24 months.

â— For these vehicles with a CVT
transmission, cube, Murano (except HEV), Altima, Altima Coupe,
Juke, Maxima, Rogue, (except
HEV), NV200, Sentra, Pathfinder
(except HEV), Quest and Versa,
replace the CVT fluid every
60,000 miles or request the dealer
to inspect the fluid deterioration
data using a CONSULT. If the deterioration data is more than
210000, replace the CVT fluid."

Great thank you. 60K miles for me to change out then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back