CVT Fluid - General Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
General Info on some CVT fluids:

After some researching of retail CVT's I discovered that Carquest CVT fluid is blended by Amalie Oil Company (via internal Advance Auto lookup) and the bottom of the bottle reflects that with an AOC emboss.

Amalie CVT PDS

Valvoline needs to get busy and update their CVT labeling. While the Online PDS shows Nissan NS-1 through NS-3 coverage, their bottle labels still only show NS1 through NS-2 coverage.

Last edited:
I did my own research on the Nissan NS2 CVT oil, found a MSDS / SDS online (as you can yourself) that shows that NS2 is made by SOPUS. We all at BITOG know that's Standard Oil Products of US.

So I confirmed that the green NS2 from Nissan is more than likely the same as the green Pennzoil Platinum CVT2. The Pennzoil is far cheaper than buying from Nissan dealer. I used the Pennzoil CVT2 in my Maxima and it varies just as well as it did before.

IMHO, any offering that tells consumers that their single CVT oil is compatible with NS1/2/3 is not something I would accept. Maybe I am wrong?

I've seen compatibility with a lot of CVTs from different manufacturers, but not a lot for the High Torque CVT in my Forester, they all refer to Lineartronic CVTF but not mention of the High Torque version.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I did my own research on the Nissan NS2 CVT oil, found a MSDS / SDS online (as you can yourself) that shows that NS2 is made by SOPUS. We all at BITOG know that's Standard Oil Products of US.

You sure is isn't SHELL Oil Products US? That's what they call themselves, anyway. :)

Originally Posted by bulwnkl

You sure is isn't SHELL Oil Products US? That's what they call themselves, anyway. :)

Oh my, I was wrong! At least I used the correct Pennzoil product!

...So I confirmed that the green NS2 from Nissan is more than likely the same as the green Pennzoil Platinum CVT2. The Pennzoil is far cheaper than buying from Nissan dealer. I used the Pennzoil CVT2 in my Maxima and it varies just as well as it did before...

Here are the main differences between Nissan NS-1 through NS-2 and the latest NS-3 CVT fluid:

NS-1 through NS-2
1) used a green organic dye.
2) base oils were Group II and some Group III with the proper additive package and VII

NS-3
1) uses a royal blue organic dye
2) base oils are mainly Group III with the proper additive package and VII
3) it may also contain other API group oils to enhance properties
4) Is backward compatible for NS-1 through NS-2 applications

This is a great subject as I for one, had been very curious about, and reluctant to buy aftermarket CVT fluids.

However, I did end up buying Castrol Transmax CVT fluid and have changed the fluids in the Altima & Civic in my signature with(so far), GREAT success.

And after about 2 months thus far with lots of city running around as well as several 4 hour highway trips, everything seems normal.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
This is a great subject as I for one, had been very curious about, and reluctant to buy aftermarket CVT fluids.

However, I did end up buying Castrol Transmax CVT fluid and have changed the fluids in the Altima & Civic in my signature with(so far), GREAT success.

And after about 2 months thus far with lots of city running around as well as several 4 hour highway trips, everything seems normal.

Good to know it worked out well. I plan to swap over to something suitable for NS-3 use once the warranty is out on my 2016 Nissan Quest and I'm done with the case of NS-3 blue juice.

Yup!
I recently grabbed some closeout Castrol Transmax CVT fluid from AdvanceAutoParts for the next D&Fs for both cars. I'll do them both again in 2 yrs. Keep an eye open for these at your local AAP stores. Some stores are practically giving it away. Others, not so much!

FYI(however, already been discussed at length):
AAP is moving their whole line of Castrol Transmax transmission fluids however, not Castrol oils or other lubes. Meaning, ATF-4, DexVI, Dex/Merc, Import & Domestic Multi-Vehicle etc. Some are priced to move and others are still holding at full prices, ~ $9/qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back