Any update on Nissan CVT issues and fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother drives a 2016 Nissan Sentra with the CVT and is approaching 30,000 miles. I have heard that Nissan CVT were bad a while back and good old Scotty Kilmer still says that they are the worst and recommends changing the CVT fluid every 30,000 miles. Reading a long old thread tells me that since Nissan stated to use NS-3 fluid, their CVTs are getting better. Is their any update on this and should I be changing it at 30,000 miles and if I do, are there any good alternatives than the OE fluid?

Last edited:
Valvoline and Castrol make excellent CVT fluids
smile.gif

Castrol CVT often goes on sale at the major parts stores for $5/qt

If you need it when it's not on sale, Amazon has the case of 6 for $35. They also sell Amalie CVT by the case of 12 for $66

Walmart carries Valvoline CVT at a fair price. About $7/qt

My choice would be to change it the next time Castrol CVT goes on sale

"2016 ....approaching 30k miles", means still under Nissan warranty including that CVT. In this case I'd stick Nissan NS-3, nothing else. Yep it's pricey with best price likely found on ebay, but worth it here imo for piece of mind with CVT warranty coverage. Scotty advice aside, I think ~30k miles not a bad idea if that's what you choose.

Next time at ~60k, out of warranty and want to use one the alternatives listed, Valvoline or Castrol of which I would have no preference, then have at it. Under warranty spend the extra, go NS-3. It's only ~4 qts we're talking about.

As point of reference, this advice coming from one(me) that's used MaxLife MV ATF in a couple Honda vehicles since Z1 discontinued, with excellent results. Point being, no fear of using/recommending aftermarket fluids with appropriate considerations. My .02

If you want to use the Amsoil CVT fluid they actually built it around studying Nissan CVT's.
Although NS-3 is supposed to be much better than past fluids so I would think if you change it often enough and do the fluid change re-learn on the transmission you should be fine. (From what I have read)

I think it's really a crap shoot because you have one member here with high miles on his CVT and then you have my aunt that her Juke puked the CVT at 90,000km (56K miles) and other members that have had similar experiences.

One thing that will help you with better odds is clean fluid before the manufacturer intervals. I would think the less debris floating around is the less that can attack the belt and cause premature wear/tear.

Last edited:
My '14 rogue got driven hard. Had the dealer change the CVT at aroound 34K IIRC. They just did a pan drain and refill. I think the car had NS-2 and they put NS-3 in it. They may have done a reprogram too - though they deny it.

I never had problems but the original fluid was like mud on the bottom. Get that factory fluid out pronto.

I didnt like how mine ran after the fluid change - it would rev up too easily rather than hold the lower ratio at mid throttle. Alo there was lots of foam in the fluid when i checked it hot and running.

My research shows Valvoline to be the preferred non oem fluid. For that price you could do two pan drain and fills.

This stuff expands greatly with temp so the fluid level can go from not on the stick to 1 one inch above the full mark.
So if you do a drain and fill - put the same qty back you took out. Otherwise a good NIssan dealer and $$$

I'm guessing a 2016 Sentra does NOT have a diptube to check hot level.

The Big deal is the correct hot level. and getting out the wear-in mud. The fluid is pretty much universal for pusher belt type CVT.

Here are some viscometrics - the big deal is the correct friction modifier/enhancer so the pusher shim stack "belt" doesnt slip.:
Valvoline
- BMW Mini Cooper EZL 799
- Dodge/Jeep NS-2, CVTF+4
- Ford CVT23, CVT30/Motorcraft XT-7-QCFT, Mercon C
- GM/ Saturn DEX-CVT
- Honda HMMF, HCF-2
- Hyundai/ Kia CVT applications (SP-CVT 1)
- Mazda CVTF 3320
- Mercedes Benz 236.20
- Mitsubushi CVTF-J1, CVTF-J4
- Nissan NS-2, NS-3

Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 7.2
Specific Gravity @ 60°F 0.852
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, cP 9,000
Calcium, % 0.060
Phosphorus, % 0.074
Sulfur, % 0.105

castrol tansmax CVT

Typical Characteristics
Name Method Units Transmax CVT
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.850
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 35
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 7.25
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 178
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -51
Viscosity, Brookfield @ -40C ASTM D2983 mPa.s (cP) 11100
Flash Point, COC ASTM D92 °C 218

Kendall CVT Fluid

Typical Properties
Speci c Gravity @ 60°F 0.864
Density, lbs/gal @ 60°F 7.20
Color, Visual Amber
Flash Point (COC), °C (°F) 196 (385)
Pour Point, °C (°F) Viscosity, Brook eld
cP @ -40°C 10,300
Viscosity, Kinematic
cSt @ 40°C 33.9
cSt @ 100°C 7.3
Viscosity Index 189
Zinc, wt % <0.001

I've driven nissans for a long time and recently traded my wife's 07 Murano with 210k on it with the original cvt. While it was under warranty for the extended recall I had the Nissan dealer exchange the fluid at 50 and 100k to be safe. After that I just did a drain and refill with castrol cvt every 30k and never had issues. In fact after I did a drain and refill twice the first time I used castrol, the stupid shudder that was there for the first 100 k actually got much better. I still see that car around town and traded it a year ago. That being said, my 09 altima started the infamous howling sound at 96 k and had dealer service at 60k. Nissan replaced the trans the next day. The 07 Murano never made a noise in all the years I owned it. I believe the cvt is really a craps shoot. My 03 altima (176k) 4 speed auto that used matic D or K or whatever it was had performed flawlessly until a deer ended it's life on the front of it taking the car with it.

I'm one of the people who had a positive CVT experience. My mom had a 2007 Altima 2.5. The Car, and the CVT were nearly flawless for 150k. It was then totaled. Nissan NS2 fluid is what I used. I changed every 25k - 30k. Just drain and fills.

I just did another 4qt spill and fill on my 2016 Nissan Quest's CVT yesterday @ 74K miles. I used Nissan NS-3 (blue fluid) that I buy on eBay, either by the 6-pack or case. It's expensive at about $12-14/qt online and $20/qt at a dealer.

I did the last drain/fill about a year ago and what drained out yesterday was a fairly dark, greenish colored fluid. When I did the first drain/fill on this van when it was year old with 32K miles, what drained out was very black.

I am a big fan of using aftermarket fluids when applicable, but I would not do this if you're still under powertrain warranty, unless you can find an aftermarket CVT fluid that is blue in color. I know of none.

The CVT attached to the 3.5L is easy to service with a diptube in the engine bay, a drain plug on the pan and a fluid level check plug on the trans case that's easy to get to. The 4cyl CVTs might not be so user friendly.

Last edited:
I've done two dealer Drain/Fill (with OEM fluid/NS-3) changes since we purchased the '14 Rogue new (see signature line) at about every 30K miles. Best thing to do and I have proof it was done "right" by the dealer. I also have an extended warranty (120K miles/10years bumper-to-bumper warranty) "just in case" the CVT takes a dump. Highly recommended to do this every 30K miles (cheap insurance).

Best I can tell, there is no dipstick on the tranny so DIY changes are not so fun.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Good data pint to hear you had luck with the Castrol CVT.

I did. I traded it in for an 18 rogue and the dealership questioned the [censored] out of me because it had red fluid in it. I told them if they wanted me to use NS2 than lower the price, 2 quarts for $10 which is what I paid at auto zone. The mechanic who did my altima cvt was a pretty friendly guy and said "he'd do the same" and has seen more than a few have good luck with valvoline and castrol. He did mention that a guy who used valvoline under warranty lawyered up when Nissan refused the replacement and Nissan replaced it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
I've done two dealer Drain/Fill (with OEM fluid/NS-3) changes since we purchased the '14 Rogue new (see signature line) at about every 30K miles. Best thing to do and I have proof it was done "right" by the dealer. I also have an extended warranty (120K miles/10years bumper-to-bumper warranty) "just in case" the CVT takes a dump. Highly recommended to do this every 30K miles (cheap insurance).

Best I can tell, there is no dipstick on the tranny so DIY changes are not so fun.

There's a dipstick on the nissans. Just not a dipstick that your accustomed to. It's a flat black top with a safety tab on it. I agree it's good safe insurance, but my altima cvt went out even though it was serviced at nissans recommended interval of 60k. Trannys are a fickle monster. My 2000 super duty tranny had a record of failure but it's sets in my drive with 200k and the tranny is flawless. My son drives a Ford Taurus that also had documented issues, but I had it exchanged at 60k and again at 100 and so far so good. I'd rather know I did everything possible to prevent a failure so I can blame the manufacture versus them blaming me.

Just an FYI on the cvt. The dealer showed me my cvt fluid when it failed and it was almost spotless.

Originally Posted by D1dad
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

There's a dipstick on the nissans. Just not a dipstick that your accustomed to. It's a flat black top with a safety tab on it. I agree it's good safe insurance, but my altima cvt went out even though it was serviced at nissans recommended interval of 60k. Trannys are a fickle monster. My 2000 super duty tranny had a record of failure but it's sets in my drive with 200k and the tranny is flawless. My son drives a Ford Taurus that also had documented issues, but I had it exchanged at 60k and again at 100 and so far so good. I'd rather know I did everything possible to prevent a failure so I can blame the manufacture versus them blaming me.

The re-designed CVT on 2014 and later Rogue/ Altima do NOT have a under-hood accessible dipstick. The rogue select has a dipstick. This fluid gain about and inch on the stick between cold and hot checks so Im sure people were overfilling or evn using the wrong fluid and causing issues. I think nissan wanted customers to use nissan fluid only early on in the FMA process was to pin down the reason for failure. NISSAN NS-1 > NS-3 fluid is not magic. i ve read the biggest issue was wear in mud on the valvebody; then back torquing on the pusher belt. - Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

The re-designed CVT on 2014 and later Rogue/ Altima do NOT have a under-hood accessible dipstick.

I've read that as well, but I'm still seeing conflicting info everywhere. Here's a u-toob clip of a 2015 Altima 4cyl with the CVT diptube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljp8lqej0zU

I'll have to check my inlaws leased 2019 Rogue SL limited for one..

I can vouch for the fact that the 2017 Rogue 2.5L has no CVT dipstick. Also there are several youtube videos showing Altima with no dipstick starting in 2013. I cannot vouch for the starting year no dipstick applies to the Altima. However, 'it seems' that for the Altima at least it is possible to buy and use an oem Nissan dipstick for those that only come with a cap.

Tube but no stick on some I hear!

I remember when "folks" were putting Dexron into Mercon type F fills in the 70's.
Now details are just that MORE complex. And Generally ignored.

Last edited:
Ah.. My mistake. I thought we were talking the whole diptube or whatever you wanna call it for refilling was deleted.

I don't get the need for an actual dipstick one on these Nissan CVTs anyway and all the videos/treads on making or buying one because they've got a level check plug that's as easy to get to as the drain plug.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Ah.. My mistake. I thought we were talking the whole diptube or whatever you wanna call it for refilling was deleted.

I don't get the need for an actual dipstick one on these Nissan CVTs anyway and all the videos/treads on making or buying one because they've got a level check plug that's as easy to get to as the drain plug.

I guess my point is, dipstick is so easy.
The top of the fluid id the top of the fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back