Any UOA's for 3.5 Ecoboost with Euro 5w30 oil ?

It just seems like on paper/in theory it makes a lot of sense. They're notorious for beating American full synthetics out of grade, although Castrol and PP seem to hold up decent. Those oils probably have a HTHS of 3.1 - 3.2. I'd trade an mpg or 2 for some added protection/longevity, especially for the turbos and my 17ft long timing chain, especially in Florida's 9 month summer. Been a long time PP user and have 163k trouble free miles and in a Mazda 6 Skyactiv. Just starts out too thin for my taste in this particular application. I'm trying to avoid premature wear on that timing chain since it's not a cheap job on this truck.

I've seen a lot of folks talk about Mobil 1 and Castrol 0w40 but can't find any UOA's on them for my motor, maybe one UOA but there was a problem with the motor and was showing crazy high iron or copper, so it wasn't helpful. There are some other posts but the image of the UOA is gone so no data to look at. I'm sure the 0w40 gets beat to a thick 5w30 anyway, as has always been typical of those grades. My hesitation on running 40wt is I work 5 miles from home. So the truck see's short trips. I want oil flowing to the chain, phasers, and everywhere else as quickly as possible considering I may not get that oil up to temp as often as I'd like to. It sees the highway on the weekends to burn up fuel and I'm running a catch can which mainly traps oily gas. Been running Castrol Edge EP so far and it seems to slow down the fill up time on the catch can and run really smooth. I'm thinking maybe some of they're claims of the high temp stability are true. UOA will be coming after this OCI is finished, 5k to set a baseline. Want to know if I've found my long term choice and can stock up or if a Euro oil is a better match for this application.

So very curious to see how the Euro 5w30 holds up as a thick 30 to the 3.5 EB oil beatdown. If any of you can point me in the direction to see some UOA's of of euro oil in this motor, I'd greatly appreciate it. If no links available, I'll try it out myself after I get through some Castrol EP and Valvoline EP sitting in my garage. Will definitely be doing UOA's on those, especially the new Valvoline as there aren't many out there yet.

Oil will flow to all parts. That is not an issue.
Castrol 0W40 or similar oils will warm up a bit faster as they are thicker=more resistance. They will influence MPG as they are thicker. Now, whether you will notice an increase is another thing.
But oil temperature-wise, European oils with HTHS of a minimum 3.5 will warm up faster.

Oil will flow to all parts. That is not an issue.
Castrol 0W40 or similar oils will warm up a bit faster as they are thicker=more resistance. They will influence MPG as they are thicker. Now, whether you will notice an increase is another thing.
But oil temperature-wise, European oils with HTHS of a minimum 3.5 will warm up faster.
Makes sense. Would definitely like to see a UOA on my specific motor to see how the 0w40 and 5w30 Euros perform.

Makes sense. Would definitely like to see a UOA on my specific motor to see how the 0w40 and 5w30 Euros perform.
I cannot edit the previous post.
So, I am not following EB engines closely, but I know they had timing chain issues. Does your have or it is an updated one? Also, what about IVD?
If you go 5W30 go oils that have VW504.00/507.00 approvals and especially MB229.51 and/or MB229.52 approvals.
Penzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is readily available in Wal Mart. Now, if there is a lot of fuel dilution you definitely want Full-SAPS oils like Castrol 0W40. If you go Full-SAPS 5W30 like Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, the difference in thickness is not dramatic compared to 0W40. Both oils are minimum HTHS 3.5 (0W40 is 3.7). But 0W40 is basically top product and PAO based. M1 0W40 FS is an excellent oil, but it has huge amount of SAPS. If there is a bit of an issue with intake valve deposits, I would skip it in favor of Castrol. Another good product is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle.

Can you talk more about the benefit of full SAPS where fuel dilution may be an issue? I thought that US had moved to low sulfur gas and that effected the need for full SAPS oil? Also, when concerned about IVD, how much SAPS is too much SAPS? Thank you-

I cannot edit the previous post.
So, I am not following EB engines closely, but I know they had timing chain issues. Does your have or it is an updated one? Also, what about IVD?
If you go 5W30 go oils that have VW504.00/507.00 approvals and especially MB229.51 and/or MB229.52 approvals.
Penzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is readily available in Wal Mart. Now, if there is a lot of fuel dilution you definitely want Full-SAPS oils like Castrol 0W40. If you go Full-SAPS 5W30 like Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4, the difference in thickness is not dramatic compared to 0W40. Both oils are minimum HTHS 3.5 (0W40 is 3.7). But 0W40 is basically top product and PAO based. M1 0W40 FS is an excellent oil, but it has huge amount of SAPS. If there is a bit of an issue with intake valve deposits, I would skip it in favor of Castrol. Another good product is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle.
No timing chain issues or cam phaser rattles. I have the last yr of the first gen EB before they split the timing chain in 2, I have the long one that’s prone to stretching. I installed the catch can to try and slow the intake valve deposits. You’re saying Castrol is better for that ?

No timing chain issues or cam phaser rattles. I have the last yr of the first gen EB before they split the timing chain in 2, I have the long one that’s prone to stretching. I installed the catch can to try and slow the intake valve deposits. You’re saying Castrol is better for that ?
So if IVD present, go low-SAPS oil as long as you don't have fuel dilution issues. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Wal Mart will do the trick. If fuel dilution is present, go Castrol 0W40, Valvoline 5W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.

I'm not sure if you are asking for uoa on 0w40 Castrol. If you are you can search my name and I have about 100k worth of uoa on the 3.5eb with that oil. Most of the changes were Castrol with one or two hdeo .

Castrol Edge 0w-40 is a high SAPS oil with ~2500 ppm calcium. Isn't this an oil (looking only at the approvals and the UOA) that would not be ideal for a TGDI which could potentially have LSPI? I am happy to know that more oils are safe to run in the ecoboost but this goes against what I thought I knew (admittedly I am a novice) about oils similar to what Ford specifies for these motors, presumably lower SA and calcium. I was under the impression that if not using a SN+ and/or D1G2 oil I should look for some combination of 229.51/504/C3. Can someone talk to this and perhaps my question a few posts up?

Can you talk more about the benefit of full SAPS where fuel dilution may be an issue? I thought that US had moved to low sulfur gas and that effected the need for full SAPS oil? Also, when concerned about IVD, how much SAPS is too much SAPS? Thank you-

Fuel dilution means the additive concentration drops... aqnd the fuel is very oxidative, full saps has more anti-oxidants.

Thank you for that- Would more frequent oil changes with a mid-SAPS oil be equivalent (at least in regards to oxidation) as longer OCIs with a full SAPS oil? Is it these additives that tend to stick to the valves?

Not likely to be these additives, as they tend to produce white to grey ashes when burned and the stuff on the valves is black carbon. You're looking at incomplete combustion of oil. The oil can come through the valve stem seals or from PCV, or there's some backwash of exhaust gasses due to valve timing. With the latter, oil loss through the piston rings into the combustion chamber is also an issue.

So if IVD present, go low-SAPS oil as long as you don't have fuel dilution issues. Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 from Wal Mart will do the trick. If fuel dilution is present, go Castrol 0W40, Valvoline 5W40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
What about a mid SAPS and fuel dilution?

It just seems like on paper/in theory it makes a lot of sense. They're notorious for beating American full synthetics out of grade, although Castrol and PP seem to hold up decent. Those oils probably have a HTHS of 3.1 - 3.2. I'd trade an mpg or 2 for some added protection/longevity, especially for the turbos and my 17ft long timing chain, especially in Florida's 9 month summer. Been a long time PP user and have 163k trouble free miles and in a Mazda 6 Skyactiv. Just starts out too thin for my taste in this particular application. I'm trying to avoid premature wear on that timing chain since it's not a cheap job on this truck.

I've seen a lot of folks talk about Mobil 1 and Castrol 0w40 but can't find any UOA's on them for my motor, maybe one UOA but there was a problem with the motor and was showing crazy high iron or copper, so it wasn't helpful. There are some other posts but the image of the UOA is gone so no data to look at. I'm sure the 0w40 gets beat to a thick 5w30 anyway, as has always been typical of those grades. My hesitation on running 40wt is I work 5 miles from home. So the truck see's short trips. I want oil flowing to the chain, phasers, and everywhere else as quickly as possible considering I may not get that oil up to temp as often as I'd like to. It sees the highway on the weekends to burn up fuel and I'm running a catch can which mainly traps oily gas. Been running Castrol Edge EP so far and it seems to slow down the fill up time on the catch can and run really smooth. I'm thinking maybe some of they're claims of the high temp stability are true. UOA will be coming after this OCI is finished, 5k to set a baseline. Want to know if I've found my long term choice and can stock up or if a Euro oil is a better match for this application.

So very curious to see how the Euro 5w30 holds up as a thick 30 to the 3.5 EB oil beatdown. If any of you can point me in the direction to see some UOA's of of euro oil in this motor, I'd greatly appreciate it. If no links available, I'll try it out myself after I get through some Castrol EP and Valvoline EP sitting in my garage. Will definitely be doing UOA's on those, especially the new Valvoline as there aren't many out there yet.
PP Euro L?

Back