2016 Ford 3.5EB ~8400 miles Edge 0W40 Cu trending up

This truck is no longer towing and is used mostly around town now. Still runs great. Copper seems to be trending up. Oil was changed to an HDEO 15w40 VPB (it's what I had
smile.gif
)

[Linked Image]

16097L01987-E-I-472222-Sev2.jpg

Last edited:
I would personally do two half-OCIs (4500-5k miles based on your history) to help flush out any accumulated stuff; copper accumulates over time, and two short OCI would really turn over what's in the sump. I had very high iron (31ppm compared to Universal Average of 14) in my 06 Odyssey when I bought it, and I did (2) 3k OCIs with Pennz Platinum and did a UOA on the 2nd fill. Iron had dropped all the way to 8ppm, and stayed under 10 ppm regardless of OCI after that.

Hilarious how Polaris (Polarious?) doesn't seem to know Castrol 0w-40 has Ti. Its only been in several oils for the last 9 years, thats all.

Beercan, switching to 15w40 diesel engine oil isn't a bad idea in sunny FL. I like your Castrol 0w40 choice best. Using a "40" in a fuel dilution situation is smart. Those German spec oils are about as good as one can do these days.

what were the previous oils? You might have some ester in the newer oils and/or maybe you have some cleaning going on releasing embedded copper from places of accumulation. That happens a lot with redline.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Hilarious how Polaris (Polarious?) doesn't seem to know Castrol 0w-40 has Ti. Its only been in several oils for the last 9 years, thats all.

Beercan, switching to 15w40 diesel engine oil isn't a bad idea in sunny FL. I like your Castrol 0w40 choice best. Using a "40" in a fuel dilution situation is smart. Those German spec oils are about as good as one can do these days.

I have complained about that to Polaris multiple times but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I like the GC a lot and will use it again, it was just that I was out and did not know it.
Originally Posted by badtlc
what were the previous oils? You might have some ester in the newer oils and/or maybe you have some cleaning going on releasing embedded copper from places of accumulation. That happens a lot with redline.

Except for the factory fill and the last fill it always had Edge 0w40, or more correctly 5qt 0w40 and 1 qt of 0w30. I thought I had another 5qt jug for this change but I was mistaken so I used the VPB 15w40 because it was what I had on hand.

This has been posted previously but use the recommended oil and change it sooner than later. 239,000 mile Ecoboost.
The owner of that truck is doing 34k+ miles a year. Which means mostly highway miles, that's the biggest factor. I'm sure he can get that mileage on any oil. If we all were just following manufacturer recommendations, there would be no BITOG. If he gets to 400k on Motorcraft synblend, then I hope to get 600k on something better. Who knows but I'm sure that's how most of us are thinking. Knowing the cost of my truck, an extra 100k miles or more is a lot of money staying in my pocket. It's worth a try to get it. That's the fun of geeking out here and obsessing over motor oil choices and OCIs.... lol

Back