Any UOA for cars used mainly for short trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my daily commute is mainly 2 miles round trip with a weekend hwy romp thrown in @ the end of each week. I am interested in seeing if there are any UOA's for cars with mainly short commutes.

Can some point to them?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I am about to have one for my corolla using amsoil 0W20, M1 filter 6803 miles one year interval. 1.5 miles to work, car sits all day, 1.5 miles home. Maybe a mile to g/f's house.

Some 30 mile trips here and there

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I am about to have one for my corolla using amsoil 0W20, M1 filter 6803 miles one year interval. 1.5 miles to work, car sits all day, 1.5 miles home. Maybe a mile to g/f's house.

Good lord - that's almost as bad as me.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

That one will be interesting - please post!

Was wondering about this. My mom's commute is about 8 miles round trip on roads with a 45mph speed limit. I was slightly concerned about fuel dilution. But this has eased my mind somewhat in that regard.

With all my ranting and raving about the German ownership of Purolator, it has occured to me the Pennzoil I have used for the last 30 years including for oil changes ever 3 months since 1992, is a part of Royal Dutch Shell. Acccccccccck. I was looking at the $22/5 qt Mobil 1 at Wal*Mart tonight. Why not, and do a UOA every quarter for my 77 truck with 130 K on it?

Here's one from my Malibu using Q-Horsepower. This was over the span last winter when we didn't make it above 10 degrees for the vast majority of the OCI.

My trip to work is 1.2 miles. It got one 40 mile run per week. This was done about 3,000 miles after my lower-intake gasket was replaced because of an oil leak.

2007 Malibu 3.5L LZ4; Q-HP 5w30

Originally Posted By: Nyquist
Here's one from my Malibu using Q-Horsepower. This was over the span last winter when we didn't make it above 10 degrees for the vast majority of the OCI.

My trip to work is 1.2 miles. It got one 40 mile run per week. This was done about 3,000 miles after my lower-intake gasket was replaced because of an oil leak.

That's awesome. Do you do any kind of warmup in the AM for your car or do you just turn on & go?

Last edited:
I start it using my remote start. By the time I get to the car--normally about 30 seconds--the RPMS have dropped to 1,000 or less when it is super cold.

At this point, the OLM was at 50% or so if I recall. I probably could have gone a little longer, but I had a lot of condensation on the oil cap. For piece of mind, I changed it out and ran a UOA to make sure there was no coolant in the oil.

Run #1 in the thread below was exact same usage as you describe in winter (over 90% short trips about 2 miles). Run #2 was 50% city in spring. Notice the difference in TAN and viscosity. Forget wear metals for run #1 as car was still in break-in period.

"Good illustration of effect of lots of city driving. Compare this 5000 mile 50% hwy/50% city run:

cst 13.02
TBN 3.9
TAN 4.9

to the last run of 4000 miles which was 90% city in the winter:

cst 12.23
TBN 4.3
TAN 5.7"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...122#Post1471122

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyquist

Man it would've been really nice to have gotten to seen what the TAN and TBN was. That 40 mile run per week probably helped. I'm kind of surprised the OLM was preedicted 505 in those conditions when it doesn't know what oil you are runnning.

Originally Posted By: saaber1

"Good illustration of effect of lots of city driving. Compare this 5000 mile 50% hwy/50% city run:

cst 13.02
TBN 3.9
TAN 4.9

cst 12.23
TBN 4.3
TAN 5.7"

If I am interpreting this right:
Run #2 in mostly city driving has increased the TAN vs Run #1 of mix driving thus indicative that a high TAN number represents the potential for accelerated rust, corrosion and oxidation and is a signal of acidity in the oil.

However, the TBN looks relatively stable between city vs. mixed driving.

I am not sure about what TAN to TBN ratio indicates though:

#1 4.9/3.9 = 1.26
#2 5.7/4.3 = 1.32

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripleM
Originally Posted By: saaber1

cst 13.02
TBN 3.9
TAN 4.9

cst 12.23
TBN 4.3
TAN 5.7"

If I am interpreting this right:
Run #2 in mostly city driving has increased the TAN vs Run #1 of mix driving thus indicative that a high TAN number represents the potential for accelerated rust, corrosion and oxidation and is a signal of acidity in the oil.

However, the TBN looks relatively stable between city vs. mixed driving.

I am not sure about what TAN to TBN ratio indicates though:

#1 4.9/3.9 = 1.26
#2 5.7/4.3 = 1.32

I also wondered about the TAN to TBN ratios and why the highway driving has a lower TBN. If I'm reading your calculated TAN to TBN ratio right, it seems the city driving even with a higher TBN still came out with a higher TAN ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back