Any Ubuntu 12.10 interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

The final release of Ubuntu 12.10 is now here.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2012639/ubuntu-linux-12-10-quantal-quetzal-takes-flight-at-last.html

After religiously updating from Ubuntu 6.06, I am starting to loose my Linux zeal. My family members all prefer XP for everything - downloading pics from camera, Picasa, games, speed (explorer vs nautilus), running educational CD's ad nauseam.

Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS is a disappointment. I was expecting rock solid and robust but it is randomly flaky - this on the same hardware that runs XP fine. Having said that, I have 12.10 loaded on a flash drive ready to test ... if I'm overcome with curiosity.
cool.gif

I'm still running Ubuntu 11.10 and loving it. My usual mode is to be a version or two behind the latest, or at least to wait a few months to upgrade. I prefer stability over all the latest bells and whistles. Would have a very tough time returning to Windoze or Apple--I love all the free open-source stuff, and I vastly prefer some of it. For example, the latest versions of Word are just horrible.

I have been a Linux user for years and have Linux Mint on my Laptop and Debian on my Netbook.

I like both better than Ubuntu. Linux Mint has both Debian and Ubuntu based versions and has all the bells and whistles already installed.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I have been a Linux user for years and have Linux Mint on my Laptop and Debian on my Netbook.

I like both better than Ubuntu. Linux Mint has both Debian and Ubuntu based versions and has all the bells and whistles already installed.

Yep, I'm also a Linux user and use Mint 13 as my primary distribution. If one is a Windows user they might consider using Zorin OS 6 for the look and feel. I also have that on a dual boot machine.

Rick

I'll wait two weeks at home in case there are any regressions specific to my hardware. At work I'll wait until April.

I am currently on 10.04 and have been for 2 years now. Old, I know, but it does every thing I need it to do and is very reliable. I also don't want to deal with the Unity desktop -- I like my old Gnome desktop very much, thank you.

I have been considering upgrading to 12.x and finding a way to remove that Unity slop. I have also considered Linux Mint. I hear good things about it.

Running OpenSuse with KDE on one of my laptops at the moment...might check out the new Ubuntu version tho...

Unity was an instant no-go for me. At first, living with Gnome 3 in classic mode was unpleasant enough that I made do with XFCE for a while.

I don't know if it was just a simple matter of me doing something wrong or if Gnome 3 in classic mode was really that bad back then and has gotten better, but at this point I really don't miss Gnome 2 at all. Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 with Gnome 3 in classic mode work just fine and there's no need to paw around in Unity.

11.10 for a while now. Running all my windows needs in XP, and server needs running freebsd, all in VMware VMs. Excellent platform with dual screens and giving me 8 desktops to work with, switch between them in nanoseconds.

I couldn't live without a bash shell, and love my rsync.

I don't typically jump on the latest releases, especially when you have a distro configured to your hot needs.

Ditched Ubuntu for Mint, it's easier and just plain works easily.

Even my son is using it w/o any training. It's the iPhone of Linux distros.

Interesting feedback - lots of votes for Mint. I'll have to try again, the last attempt in a VM bombed.

I use debian at home with XFCE desktop. I haven't been using Ubuntu since they started using the absurd "unity" interface. It's ... too complicated, IMO. Very hard to use and very hard on system resources.

My netbook really likes debian and XFCE

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I use debian at home with XFCE desktop. I haven't been using Ubuntu since they started using the absurd "unity" interface. It's ... too complicated, IMO. Very hard to use and very hard on system resources.

My netbook really likes debian and XFCE

XFCE is the only way to go.

Running Maya Mint with XFCE at the moment on my AMD Llano laptop.

Debian will be using XFCE as the "default" DE (if it could be said that Debian even has a default) starting with version 7 (Wheezy) which I am using now.

It seems like more than a few distro's are abandoning Gnome.

I had a spare 80GB partition, so I divided in 2 - one for Ubuntu 12.10 and the other for Mint. Mint hasn't been installed yet, but Ubuntu was last night. The whole installation process is smooth, although it could mess up the unsuspecting user who has more than one hard drive (by placing Grub in the wrong place).

Unity seems slick, although runs like molasses on my dual core 3Ghz @ 2GB machine. I'll try again tonight to see if updated video drivers would help but it seems too slow for my vintage machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back