Any Ubuntu 12.10 interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NJC
I had a spare 80GB partition, so I divided in 2 - one for Ubuntu 12.10 and the other for Mint. Mint hasn't been installed yet, but Ubuntu was last night. The whole installation process is smooth, although it could mess up the unsuspecting user who has more than one hard drive (by placing Grub in the wrong place).

Unity seems slick, although runs like molasses on my dual core 3Ghz @ 2GB machine. I'll try again tonight to see if updated video drivers would help but it seems too slow for my vintage machine.

It could be slow because you have the stupid Amazon thumbnails and peeks that load from your dash searches. I understand something has to keep the lights on for canonical, but the amazon thumbnails are ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I had a spare 80GB partition, so I divided in 2 - one for Ubuntu 12.10 and the other for Mint. Mint hasn't been installed yet, but Ubuntu was last night. The whole installation process is smooth, although it could mess up the unsuspecting user who has more than one hard drive (by placing Grub in the wrong place).

Unity seems slick, although runs like molasses on my dual core 3Ghz @ 2GB machine. I'll try again tonight to see if updated video drivers would help but it seems too slow for my vintage machine.

It could be slow because you have the stupid Amazon thumbnails and peeks that load from your dash searches. I understand something has to keep the lights on for canonical, but the amazon thumbnails are ridiculous.

That could well be the case; but Unity (and Ubuntu, for that matter) are light years away from being "light" or "quick" these days anyhow.

arstechnica article about Ubuntu 12.10 Nov 20th 2012. Conclusion:
Quote:
To Linux or not to Linux

There's a lot going on in Ubuntu 12.10, and much of it is working. The Unity Dash and HUD interfaces have settled in and have a lot of polish. The rest of the interface is continuing to warp off in the direction that Shuttleworth and Crew want to take Ubuntu. Other interfaces be [censored].

But, as mentioned, there are gaps in the course being plotted. Existing installation bugs have the potential to hamper adoption of an operating system that is already last place in worldwide deployments. New tools like Web apps have the potential to really let Ubuntu compete as a net-friendly platform, but again, the kinks need to be worked out.

To bring it full circle, 12.10 is the first step toward the next LTS release 18 months down the road. It's a shaky first step, but for the first time, there is a more coherent picture of the direction Ubuntu is heading. You may not like that destination, but if it fits the way you want to get things done, Ubuntu is a desktop platform worth sticking around for.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/11/review-ubuntu-12-10-quantal-quetzal-a-mix-of-promise-pain/

It's a bit slow on my machine but I otherwise like it.

Interesting feedback - lots of votes for Mint. I'll have to try again, the last attempt in a VM bombed.

I did install Mint (Maya) based on Ubuntu 12.04. Aesethically not purdy - although it's faster and snappier as expected, I prefer Ubuntu 12.04.1 or 12.10.

My family members all prefer XP for everything - downloading pics from camera, Picasa, games, speed (explorer vs nautilus)

BTW, here's a tip I found online about speeding up Nautilus - tested in version 3.4.2:

Quote:
In the "Preview" tab under "Edit -> Preferences", try switching all the options to "Never".

It also helped me enormously to turn off "Assistive Technologies". You can do this in "System -> Preferences -> Assistive Technologies". Uncheck "Enable assistive technologies".

You'll have to log out and back in for the latter change to take effect.

http://superuser.com/questions/175939/why-is-nautilus-slow

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

That could well be the case; but Unity (and Ubuntu, for that matter) are light years away from being "light" or "quick" these days anyhow.

Agreed. I tried running it on VirtualBox on Win7 64bit with 8GB ram and compared to old releases it is way to slow to be usable with the graphical interface. It works wonderfully as server though virtualized.

I find it interesting that my high school computer class programming on a unix based school computer comes in handy in 2012 on Linux command line.

Ubuntu 12.10 has been the most stable version I've used on my desktop.

I downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 2nd beta and it's terribly glitchy still. I don't see how they are going to win over converts with 1/2 baked software releases.
21.gif

Ubuntu 12.10 has been the most stable version I've used on my desktop.

I downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 2nd beta and it's terribly glitchy still. I don't see how they are going to win over converts with 1/2 baked software releases.
21.gif

13.04 is by far the fastest and most stable release in a long while. Your own post indicates you were using the BETA, whose entire purpose is to allow testers to report bugs. It is, quite literally, at that point "half baked". It cannot have been a "half baked" release, because it was not released until this very morning.

Did you not report any of the glitches you found in the **BETA**?

This was TWO days ago, IE 2 days before release! I'm not basing this experience on this release only, but my general experience from my initial Ubuntu 6.06 install.

I do like the appearance of 13.04, and the file system did seem faster.

This was TWO days ago, IE 2 days before release! I'm not basing this experience on this release only, but my general experience from my initial Ubuntu 6.06 install.

I do like the appearance of 13.04, and the file system did seem faster.

2 days? And it was had been updated? Jeez - I don't recall much activity in the way of updates in those final few days, so you were pretty much running a final release. I wonder if whatever glitches you were encountering were results of upgrading from a prior version? I know I had a system that had been updated from 11.04 all the way up to the 13.04 beta (in order, of course) and some residual config files were causing some of the latest/ greatest versions of some of the apps to behave strangely.

I downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 2nd beta and it's terribly glitchy still.

I should also add, NJC, that if it is stability you want (as opposed to "playing" with new features and/ or the latest/ greatest versions of applications) that you should be using the Ubuntu releases intended to that purpose: The LTS, or Long Term Support releases. All of the other releases exist to introduce new things (like Unity, for example, introduced in 11.04) and are NOT postured by Canonical as the "rock" on which you can perform all of your computing tasks.

I have 12.04 LTS installed on roughly a dozen boxen for friends, family and neighbours. I play with the interim versions (and other distros like Arch, Fedora and Debian) for fun on my own laptop; but intend to only upgrade my friends, family and neighbours - who did NOT sign up for any experiments - to LTS releases, which come along in April of every other year... Or Debian, which is even more stable than any LTS release of Ubuntu, but less pretty.

Quote:

but my general experience from my initial Ubuntu 6.06 install.

I'm sure those 7 year old bugs are worked out by now..... 8)

Installed 13.04 just this afternoon; the clean install method is much faster than it used to be downloading other packages in the background while the installer is doing its thing.

Don't really notice any difference from the 12.10 it replaced.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Don't really notice any difference from the 12.10 it replaced.

Most of the changes were in improving Unity's memory footprint and responsiveness.

Be aware, though, that now some of the things that you search for in the Unity Dash which return "online results" (ie. Amazon store results for your query) may be sent to Canonical (anonymously, of course). Many find this creepy and a little evil. You can disable that in System Settings under the Privacy option.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Installed 13.04 just this afternoon; the clean install method is much faster than it used to be downloading other packages in the background while the installer is doing its thing.

I agree, it was the most seamless install of any Ubuntu I've installed. They have really made great strides in this area. I usually clean install them all as well.

I downloaded Ubuntu 13.04 2nd beta and it's terribly glitchy still.

I should also add, NJC, that if it is stability you want (as opposed to "playing" with new features and/ or the latest/ greatest versions of applications) that you should be using the Ubuntu releases intended to that purpose: The LTS, or Long Term Support releases. All of the other releases exist to introduce new things (like Unity, for example, introduced in 11.04) and are NOT postured by Canonical as the "rock" on which you can perform all of your computing tasks.

Even though it's tempting to keep the LTS versions for stability, there are often important changes / features in the newest releases. I have 4 Ubuntu partitions installed on 2 machines: 12.04, 12.10 Desktop and Server and 13.04. Incidentally, I had upgraded to 12.04 and it did not run well .. so I did a clean install of 12.04 and no change. So I prefer to boot from the 12.10 or 13.04 partition. I have the HD 5450 video card and it seems to be better supported in 12.10 - maybe that was part of the issue?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
If anyone wants a nice, simple alternative, I recommend Mint.

I did take and adhere to that advice - but did not like it. I tried hard for a few wks and after such extensive praise from the community, I wiped it from the drive.

Well, I installed 13.04 over the weekend as a triple boot alongside Windows 7 and 8 and the installation was quite easy. Not as easy as Windows, but easy enough for Linux noob like me to figure out what needs to be done, with a little help from the web.

What I thought is a great idea, is the ability to boot from the disk or USB and try this operating system out without actually installing it. I did just that and everything worked pretty well. This is a very useful feature when dealing with a system that might have compatibility issues.

The down side is that once I installed it, Ubuntu froze on me twice. The first time was I think my fault because I tried to force to go to sleep. It did, but could not recover when I tried to wake it up. The second time happened after hard re-start from the first hang up during regular web browsing. So the two events might be related.

Other than those two issues, everything is working fine so far, but I think I have to find out what's going on with the sleep function.
Do any of you guys know how to fix it?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Other than those two issues, everything is working fine so far, but I think I have to find out what's going on with the sleep function.

That issue is almost certainly related to hardware and/ or graphics or other drivers that are difficult to put to sleep and wake up.

There is no smarter thing for an Ubuntu user to do than to sign up at the Ubuntu forums. They are an extremely friendly bunch. They'll ask you some information about your hardware and whether or not you are using the proprietary ATI or NVIDIA drivers (which sometimes spell bad news for sleep and suspend functions).

http://ubuntuforums.org

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

That issue is almost certainly related to hardware and/ or graphics or other drivers that are difficult to put to sleep and wake up.

There is no smarter thing for an Ubuntu user to do than to sign up at the Ubuntu forums. They are an extremely friendly bunch. They'll ask you some information about your hardware and whether or not you are using the proprietary ATI or NVIDIA drivers (which sometimes spell bad news for sleep and suspend functions).

http://ubuntuforums.org

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back