any thoughts on two budget cuv's?

The jeep 2.4 is a solid motor, but if you purchase one do check the oil once a month or so, at least until you figure out whether yours consumes any or not. Ours used a quart over the first 5k, then very little thereafter.

FWD Compasses (Compii?) started coming with an Aisin 6spd automatic around 2018(?) , so you can avoid any potential 9spd issues. (Our 9 spd works great though)

We have a Cherokee, similar to a Compass, and like it a lot

Before I bought an Encore (totaled) and my Soul, I looked at the Mitsu and was underwhelmed. It was outdated five years ago. Sorry about what's happened to this once proud car line. I had three captive imports in the seventies and eighties. How they've come down.

Although it doesn’t meet any of your criteria

If you shop and negotiate the
2020 Chevy Trax brand new 0 miles $9995
2020 Equinox $14,999 brand new zero miles

Get the extended warranty and dispose after it expires

or if he stretches the budget a bit -

2020 Rolls Royce Phantom brand new 0 miles $17,999

2021 KONA⁠

Starting at $20,400 MSRP
SAVINGS Up to $3,000 toward down payment

FINANCE
0% APR Financing for up to 60 months
Expires 1/7/2021

This just isn't realistic for most people. I see post like this on BITOG too often, these prices are often not attainable.

The Trax base or mid level trim brand new is easily attainable 9-12, I know a dozen folks who have bought a hold over in the price range.

There are many 2018-2020 Trax sitting in the back of the lot never moved brand new, just start nagging the dealer who has one sitting from last year or two.

Avoid the 2.0 eco and especially the 1.5/1.6 those are dumpster fires. The 4 cylinder ecoboosts are both prone to getting coolant in the cylinders which requires engine replacement. Which I'd assume you will since you're requirements were non turbo but sometimes people tend to lump all vehicle issues together and miss out on a great vehicle if you just skip the ****ty engine.

Good advice for used Escapes. I understand Ford fixed the issue with the 2.0. The 1.5/1.6 4 cylinders are now discontinued.

I know there are great cars to consider such as RAV4 but it is most important to me to get this thing paid off in a year and be ahead financially.

Any other vehicles we should consider?

Have you considered a CX-5? I had a 2013 I bought new and kept for 5 yrs and 90k miles and not a single issue, except subpar infotainment.

Personally, I would be a little concerned with Mitsubishi going the way of Isuzu and Suzuki. Remember that the cheapest vehicle may not have the lowest overall cost.

Don’t get a Mitsubishi, they’re terrible inside you’ll hate every minute of being in one some how lucked out and got 2 of their SUVs back to back as airport rentals, god awful. Felt like cars I’ve driven in third world country’s and this is coming from a guy who owns two Nissan products.

Bump your price up $1500 (you’ll get that back as residual when Mitsubishi up and leaves the Us market) and you’ve got tons to choose from. 16,500 will get you Low mileage former rental Tucson’s and AWD Kona’s all day long. Don’t bag on the CVTs they’re fine as long as you don’t beat on them and are anal about drain and fills.

Last edited:
Just for kicks I checked Autotrader for new Equinoxes. You can get a new LS FWD 2020 for about $15,000 - $15,500.

Usually when I see low prices on Autotrader there are many strings attached. Just a few examples:
  • $700+ doc fee
  • demo units with several thousand miles listed as new
  • requires trade in
  • requires financing
  • must own vehicle of same make (loyalty discount)
  • must own competing vehicle (conquest discount)
  • must have insurance at xyz insurance co
  • must qualify for employee pricing
  • must live in certain region to receive full rebate (if dealer is not near you)
  • The lowest prices will often have about 6-10 things listed that most would not qualify for (first responder, teacher, student, military, etc.)

Usually when I see low prices on Autotrader there are many strings attached. Just a few examples:
  • $700+ doc fee
  • demo units with several thousand miles listed as new
  • requires trade in
  • requires financing
  • must own vehicle of same make (loyalty discount)
  • must own competing vehicle (conquest discount)
  • must have insurance at xyz insurance co
  • must qualify for employee pricing
  • must live in certain region to receive full rebate (if dealer is not near you)
  • The lowest prices will often have about 6-10 things listed that most would not qualify for (first responder, teacher, student, military, etc.)

I just take the low prices off cars and bounce them off semi local multiple dealers with the slow moving car sitting in their inventory .

That is how I got a brand new loaded volt for $17,500 tax title license

The dealer wanted it off the books before their fiscal year end

Attachments

• E673440F-698E-4643-9729-34196555378F.png
    E673440F-698E-4643-9729-34196555378F.png
    533.3 KB · Views: 8
Looking to purchase a newer car for my wife after we pay our taxes this year, so we have a few months to search.

I know there are great cars to consider such as RAV4 but it is most important to me to get this thing paid off in a year and be ahead financially.
The Rav4 would be perfect. So what if you pay on it for more than a year when you can keep it on the road for 20? Those new rav4 will hold value like mad. A mitsu or other very cheap options will not. Car notes are nearly free money right now. Might be better having a better car once its paid off.

Reactions: dcd
Outlander at the very bottom of the list from US News. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/compact-suvs You would do better with a Compass or it's cousin the Fiat 500X. At least they are more stylish. https://www.fiatusa.com/500x.html?s...QkT0yTJIqhu1i0GggghoCOgsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I don't think that Mitsubishi is going to be around much longer in the US. You don't want to be stuck with an orphan.
The Compass is not related to the Fiat 500X, the Renegade is. In fact, the Renegade is just a rebadged/restyled Fiat 500X and both are manufactured in Italy. I don't think that either one will be around much longer. I rented a Compass for a week. It was a miserable CUV, I would never buy one.
As others have said, a used Mazda CX5 would be a solid choice. An even better choice would be a used Toyota RAV4. It is (and has been) the best selling CUV in the US, so the availability of used ones will be much better, it is very reliable, it will last longer, and it will have better long-term resale value than anything else in it's class making it's cost of ownership very low. Used 2019 RAV4's with reasonable miles are starting to show-up for under $20K.

Last edited:
i’ve used the same search parameters as o.p. when thinking of replacing my passat. suv with fwd, n.a. engine, no cvt/dct. paper result is mazda cx5, kia sportage, hyundai tucson. any of their smaller siblings have no useable rear seat space. i put 10k highway miles in 3 months on a 2010 toyota rav5 in 2012. its build and ride were uncomfortably awful and i have never looked at a rav4 again. dodge journey and jeep cherokee are pleasant enough to sit in at a car show, but i worry about their reliabily too much to own one. i prefer cpo in any case.

Last edited:
Had a Jeep Patriot 2 years ago for a few months and even with over 100,000 miles it was still tight and rattle free and rode smooth. It had the smaller 2.0L and 5-speed stick so it got over 30 mpg average. Even briefly towed with it.

large.jpg

I don't remember if they were regular autos or CVTs (Honda CVTs are pretty decent) but up until 2019ish the base (LX) CRV was a K24 ....

Back