Any recommendations for shift solenoid for automatic transmission?

Hi all,

So from extensive digging it seems like Dodge neons with the automatic transmission have shift solenoid failures. Many shops think it's a bad transmission hence why so many end up junked. I've always had manual vehicles until the neon. Are there any brands or recommendations that anyone with experience can suggest? The prices are all over, anywhere from $103 on the low end to $250 on the high end. Thanks

Not familiar with these but looking at some YT vids the solenoid / control assembly is externally accessible without a lot of pain, so if you want to go low cost dirtbag on the repair and value your labor as free, try one from a junk car (look for one that probably died from crash damage not powertrain failure) at pick a part or similar.

Please provide a rock auto (or other vendor) link. Are these individual solenoids or does this vehicle use a solenoid pack?

Did you test your solenoids, and if so how?

I replaced one once with one from a junkyard. It wasn't too hard to do (the crossmember getting in the way of the transmission pan was the worst part) and I drove car for years after that and only junked the car when the clutch packs on the transmission wore out at around 265K miles ~25 years old.

Please provide a rock auto (or other vendor) link. Are these individual solenoids or does this vehicle use a solenoid pack?

Did you test your solenoids, and if so how?

I replaced one once with one from a junkyard. It wasn't too hard to do (the crossmember getting in the way of the transmission pan was the worst part) and I drove car for years after that and only junked the car when the clutch packs on the transmission wore out at around 265K miles ~25 years old.
From Rock auto

I'd probably get the Rostra for $150
But you need to test your existing solenoids first. Check for transmission codes (use the triple ignition key turn) and ohm out the existing solenoids. Then try energizing them.

I did a 41TE years ago. I can't remember if it was oem or aftermarket - I seem to think it came off of amazon - it would have either been amazon or rock auto. Worked great.

What didn't work great was ME. The installation location traps a lot of sand and dust. Do everything you possible can before you start to blast every single bit of dirt and dust out of the nooks and crannies before going in. Besides that, it was amazingly simple and a good design choice on their part. Very easy to replace the solenoids.

Back