Any Problems With Running "Diesel-Oil" In EVERYTHING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justin, I believe that the Volvo transmission in your car specifies a 75W-90 GL4 gear oil. This is very common in European manual transmission.

Is Delvac 1 compatible with Mobil 1 0w-40 or others? If I have to top off the oil, I'd like to add one of these to the D1.
smile.gif

Justin,

If you want to run a diesel oil in gas engines designed for 5w-30 or 10w-30 grades, I'd recommend using a 5w-30 or 5w-40 grade year round. Some of the ones I'd recommend are listed below:

Delvac 1, 5w-40
Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30
Castrol Elixion, 5w-30
Delo 400, 5w-40
Rotella T, 5w-40
Petro Canada "Duron", 5w-40
Valvoline Premium Blue "Extreme", 5w-40

There are also some petroleum diesel oils available in a 10w-30 grade, like Delo 400 and Rotella T. I think these would be preferrable to a 15w-40, particularly for use in cold climates. You could probably go with the 15w-40 in ambient temps above 40F and it would work okay.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Justin,

You could probably go with the 15w-40 in ambient temps above 40F and it would work okay.

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

...That's exactly what I plan on doing!

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
iam running a delvac 1 and redlines 15w40 in my 4.6 and 5.4 l fords both of these oils are for diesel and gas.

Your running 15w-40 in a Ford OHC V-8? Don't they require the use of 5w-20?

No startup issues?

Also, in the Delvac 1 case, do you notice any difference with the 40 weight vs. the 20 weight (5w-40 vs. 5w-20).

Justin.

Also the climate the oil is used in is important as to the selection of viscosity . I'm sure at 15f 15w/40 oil would be at its limits as to ease of pumping .Some input on pumping qualities and use at lower temps. would be enjoyed.

This cold startup thing is WAY overblown.

TooSlick:

Why would you restrict 15W-40 to temps over 40F ? Castrol states that as the minumum temperature for dino straight 30 right on the bottle. Isn't the SAE definition of 15W cold cranking at -20C (-4F)? That is the minumum temperature listed for 15W-X oils in my BMW owners manual.

Your Amsoil 15W-40, being synthetic, should do much better than the standard 15W requirement.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
This cold startup thing is WAY overblown.

TooSlick:

Why would you restrict 15W-40 to temps over 40F ? Castrol states that as the minumum temperature for dino straight 30 right on the bottle. Isn't the SAE definition of 15W cold cranking at -20C (-4F)? That is the minumum temperature listed for 15W-X oils in my BMW owners manual.

Your Amsoil 15W-40, being synthetic, should do much better than the standard 15W requirement.

G/F's Volvo 850 says you can run 15w-40 to 10F. It's currently running Delvac 1300 15w-40 (had been running 5w-30/10w-30 quick-change oil till she meet me though!) with no startup issues.

Thing is, the Volvo says right in the manual that you can run 15w-40, and recommendes it when running hard.

Ford on the other hand says use 5w-20....

Jimbo...your saying a 15w-40 would be fine in these Ford's? I'm really interested in this as I have a couple of friends with Triton V-8 and V-10 Super Duty's that get worked hard (and they "have" to run 5w-20) and I'm kinda interested in a F-350SRW.

On the other

i use 1 qt 15w40 redline for the moly and the rest i use delvac 1 5w40 these engines are very quiet and starts right up in the winter no noises either in the 4.6 nor 5.4.....the manual calls for a 5w30 wt. iwanted the extra protection

Jimbo,

With fuel injection and a good battery, you could probably start your engine down to -15F to -20F with a 15w-40. The point I was trying to make is that a 5w-30 or 10w-30 is going to give you better performance and fuel efficiency than a 15w-40 in cold weather. I picked 40F as the temp under which I'd probably run the thinner stuff, but there's nothing special about that temp.

If I was using petroleum oils and had an engine that called for 5w-30, I might entertain the idea of running a 15w-40 under certain conditions. For example,If you were running under high temp/high load conditions and oil pressure was marginal with 5w-30. Or if you had a high mileage engine where the bearing clearances had opened up from normal wear. The final case where I'd probably run a 15w-40 is if you had a high mileage engine that had significant oil consumption or leakage with a 5w-30 or 10w-30.

I've noted the results you have had with delo 400 in your BMW and they are very good. But I'd bet you could run the 10w-30 Chevron Supreme for most of the year and get equally good results. In hot weather you might see slightly lower bearing wear with the 15w-40 in an older BMW.

One thing I really do like about the 15w-40 commercial engine oils is that their additive chemistry is much more robust than your typical gas engine oil. They use a decent amount of ZDDP, they're shear stable, and are usually 10-12 TBN formulations. I'd expect them to hold up better over long drain intervals than a 5-7 TBN, gas engine formulation. For European engines that "allow" the use of 15w-40, I think they offer an excellent value for $1.50/qt. The Group II Delo 400 and Delvac 1300 are particularly good and would probably be the 15w-40's I'd use.

I hope this explains my position on this issue a bit better ....

TooSlick

It is interesting to note that 40F is the UPPER limit on ambient temperatures for 10W-30 in my BMW.

If I had a new gasoline powered car or truck, I would not run the 15W-40 Delo 400 in it. I would probably break down and finally use synthetics. Mobil One 0W-40 looks interesting because it meets the European specs, API CF and GF-3 "energy conserving". Why is that such a rare combination?

Jimbo: It should depend on what gasoline powered car or truck. 15w40 is an approved grade for my 2002 toyota with a gasoline engine, and approved for my 1999 Toyta 4Runner turbo diesel. I am very happy with Delo 400 15w40 in both, but in my 2 Ford pickups with gasoline engines (1.4 lt Ztech and 4.0 V-6) the recomended viscosity is 5w30 so I run the Supreme 5w30, even with ambient temps over 40C. I figure they will eventually go on Delo as the wear down a bit, but so far (85,000 & 120,000 km) have less than 200 ml consumption on 6000 km intervals.

The pour point on the Delo 400 15w40 is -38 F or -27 F, from the different sources I can find. Either way, it's more like a 10w30 or 5w30 with regard to pour point.

It is thick at 29f I prelubed my boat motor one jan. day it was sunny and I felt the need for speed so I went for a boat ride . The oil is thick!!!

The company I work for bought a new fullsize Dodge pickup (3.9 V-6) in 1997 and used Drydene (Castrol)15W-40 diesel oil from the start. The truck had about 150,000 miles on it when they traded it and had no issues. As far as I know, it used very little if any oil and saw some pretty hard usage.

Does anyone know if D1 or M1 0w40 would be better in a newer honda performance engine? I recently started using D1, but some people have questioned what the higher ash content of diesel oils will do to the engine, if anything. Which oil will result in less engine wear? I need the 40 rating since it's about 110F here in the summer (AZ), winter lows are in the mid 30s at night, rising into the 60s. I ran Valvoline dino 5w30 for the first 13K miles until recently going w/ D1 (when I moved to AZ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back