Any Problems With Running "Diesel-Oil" In EVERYTHING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Start:
1998 Dodge Ram 24-Valve Cummins
1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1L V-6
1996 Volvo 850 Non-Turbo 2.4L I-5
1976 Honda CB400F

Do you guys see any problems with doing this? Since the top three (Rotella, Delo, and Delvac) are all rated to the latest API spark-ignition rating, I see no problems (although they are not "energy conserving", so fuel economy will suffer a little bit.)

With over 100,000 on both the Lumina and Volvo, I would think the standard 15w-40 would be a good choice (at least in non-winter months).

All opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Justin

I'm sure it would work, but the question is why? Why not save the diesel oils for the diesel, and choose different oils for the others?

There are lots of good oils out there, so instead of trying to pick a "one size fits all" type of an oil for all your cars, why not choose a different oil for each one?

I'm going to start running Delvac 1300 in my Windstar. It has 122K and oil analysis on 15w40 was better than M1 5w30. I know that is a drastic jump, but diesel oils are so inexpensive and have such a good additive package (high detergents/moly/fewer VII's) that with lower wear, it was an easy decision.

I will stick with 10w30 on my 2001 Camry. Engine tolerances allow for low wear with a thinner oil.

I think it will vary with application. As long as you use UOA you should be able to ferret out the best, or acceptable, brand/vis of oil to use.

Why bother to buy a different oil for each vehicle in the fleet when one will do? The Dodge is the most demanding, so go with the "universal fleet oil". That is why the oil companies qualify them for both diesel and gasoline engines. Because the Honda has wet clutches, car-engine oil wont work, but the diesel oil will. I find buying and stocking one oil for everything an advantage, particularly because Delo only costs pennies more than regular oil, about $6 a gallon.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Why bother to buy a different oil for each vehicle in the fleet when one will do? The Dodge is the most demanding, so go with the "universal fleet oil". That is why the oil companies qualify them for both diesel and gasoline engines. Because the Honda has wet clutches, car-engine oil wont work, but the diesel oil will. I find buying and stocking one oil for everything an advantage, particularly because Delo only costs pennies more than regular oil, about $6 a gallon.

I know that the Honda has a wet-clutch setup...have used Valvoline motorcycle 10w-40 with no noticeable problems.

Through a little research, I realized that "diesel oil" would be a good choice for the bike.

Why do I want to run one oil? Well, I just want to run a great oil in all of 'em. Both the Chevy and Volvo have over 100,000 on them, and neither one was treated to the "good stuff" up to this point.

I in the progress of going through the Lumina, since I'm driving it back and forth from home to school now. Have alredy done:
Oil and Filter (Valvoline Maxlife...just curious if it really worked or not...haven't noticed any difference in oil consumption though.)
Spark Plugs and wires
PCV valve
O2 sensor
Air filter
Rotate tires
Fuel Filter
Have to replace the front struts soon as well.

Can't wait to dig into the Volvo either. It has about 115,000 miles on the clock (girlfriends car), and was always given whatever the instant oil change place was using. Since she's with me now (or I'm with her?), and being a car nut, I get to go through it, and do all the maintenance (With I actually love doing!). It gets driven pretty hard, and I'd like to dump some 15w-40 in there and see how it does.

All in all, I want to give my rides the best protection for the money...Delo 15w-40 seems like the number one choice now, as I can run it in all the vehicles, and it will provide outstanding protection and performance in all of 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back