Any Problems With Running "Diesel-Oil" In EVERYTHING?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To Start:
1998 Dodge Ram 24-Valve Cummins
1995 Chevrolet Lumina 3.1L V-6
1996 Volvo 850 Non-Turbo 2.4L I-5
1976 Honda CB400F

Do you guys see any problems with doing this? Since the top three (Rotella, Delo, and Delvac) are all rated to the latest API spark-ignition rating, I see no problems (although they are not "energy conserving", so fuel economy will suffer a little bit.)

With over 100,000 on both the Lumina and Volvo, I would think the standard 15w-40 would be a good choice (at least in non-winter months).

All opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Justin.

[ March 10, 2003, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

I have been running Delo in everything for many years now. This includes Ford and Chevrolet V-8's, a Chevrolet V-6 and a BMW straight six. There was no measureable difference in fuel mileage on the V-6 when I changed over from Valvoline 10W-30 at about 80,000 miles. Oil consumption on that engine was significantly reduced. I use the same oil all year because the coldest temperatures I ever see are above +10F.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I have been running Delo in everything for many years now. This includes Ford and Chevrolet V-8's, a Chevrolet V-6 and a BMW straight six. There was no measureable difference in fuel mileage on the V-6 when I changed over from Valvoline 10W-30 at about 80,000 miles. Oil consumption on that engine was significantly reduced. I use the same oil all year because the coldest temperatures I ever see are above +10F.

So you had no problems when you switched over to 15w-40 Delo?

BTW...I understand "diesel" oils are made for diesels...high compression, low revs.

Is there anything to be worried about when using these oils in extremely high RPM applications (such as the motorcycle), or are the same things that make it good in diesels also apply to the gassers?

Actually, the reason I started to use it was for the high-revving BMW. It is the one that specifies a 15W-40 grade in the owners manual. Higher ZDDP content better protects the valve train that is highly loaded at 6000 rpm.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Actually, the reason I started to use it was for the high-revving BMW. It is the one that specifies a 15W-40 grade in the owners manual. Higher ZDDP content better protects the valve train that is highly loaded at 6000 rpm.

Well, with the exception of the Dodge diesel, none of my vehicles specific a 15w-40 grade, but I don't believe it can harm anything (?)

What's ZDDP content?

Thanks,

Justin.

[ March 11, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

ZDDP content is the amount of zinc and phosphorus in the oil. With API certified 5w30 and 10w30 oils, these are generally around 700ppm each. With these fleet and diesel 15w40s, they are sometimes double that amount.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
ZDDP content is the amount of zinc and phosphorus in the oil. With API certified 5w30 and 10w30 oils, these are generally around 700ppm each. With these fleet and diesel 15w40s, they are sometimes double that amount.

And if you don't mind my asking, what do zinc and phorphorus in oil exactly do?

I'm guessing the higher ZDDP content is better?

Justin.

[ March 11, 2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Zinc and phosphorus act as anti wear agents, and higher amounts are better, but keep in mind that higher phosphorus may be responsible for an earlier death of the catalytic convertor (which is why the API is lowering ZDDP levels all the time)

So running a 15w-40 is ok in the cars, even though when new they recommend 5w-30 or 10w-30(?)

Guess now, I just have to decide which brand to run.

Delo 400 is looking good...

Justin.

[ March 11, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Most 15w-40 oils also have spark engine ratings and as long as the weight does not cause a problem you can use fleet oils in all your engines.

I have used 15w-40 Schaeffer's in all my engines, 98 Ford 4.2L V-6 / 97 Saturn 1.9L SOHC / John Deere diesel, for nearly a year. No problems to report. Even the cold starting was not a problem. Well what we call cold here in Texas anyway.

Justin look at the VOA forums the Amsoil and redline oils have very high ppms of additives. I don,t worry about it myself.

ZDDP = zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate or zinc diaryl dithiophosphate, widely used as an anti-wear additive in engine oils to protect heavily loaded parts, particularly the valve train mechanisms (such as the camshaft and cam followers) from excessive wear. It is also used as an anti-wear agent in hydraulic fluids and certain other products. ZDDP is also an effective oxidation inhibitor. Oils containing ZDDP should not be used in engines that employ silver alloy bearings [EMD locomotive engines]. All car manufacturers now recommend the use of dialkyl ZDDP in engine oils for passenger car service.
http://www.prod.exxon.com/exxon_productdata/lube_encyclopedia/zddp.html

Patman,
The diesel lubes we're talking about are all rated API-SJ or API-SL, so the ZDDP levels and oil volatility will be within those gasoline engine oil specs to limit damage to the CATCON.

Ken

[ March 11, 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Just want to thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion. Thanks for the help.

Dad ran Delo in his trucks, and it looks like it's pretty good, so that's what I will probably go with.

Amsoil...good stuff according to you guys, but I don't need it. I run 3,000 mile drain intervals, and even in severe-duty service applications (pulling 24/7, etc, etc...), the Delo will hold up exceptionally well.

Justin.

Just wondering why we have two threads with the same exact title????
rolleyes.gif
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Just wondering why we have two threads with the same exact title????
rolleyes.gif
dunno.gif

One was started in a different section, and then moved here, so I locked the other one so that we don't have two going at the same time.

Justin, the I5 in your 850 is just hitting its stride at 100k on the clock. Believe me, it doesn't need a heavier oil at such a low mileage right now, when and if it gets up to around 250k, then yes! Our '95 850 (turbo) runs like a top and uses no oil between 5k changes (5w-30 winter / 10w-30 summer), with 123k on the clock. As those with tenure around here have already posted the diesel oil won't harm anything, but don't convince yourself that a heavier weight is needed to help ring sealing with your Volvo.

DF

[ March 12, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: diesel_fan ]

quote:

Originally posted by diesel_fan:
As those with tenure around here have already posted the diesel oil won't harm anything, but don't convince yourself that a heavier weight is needed to help ring sealing with your Volvo.

DF

Dieselfan,

The Volvo isn't leaking any oil...at least the last time I saw it (it's in Mexico now with by better halfs parents).

It's been ran it's entire life though on regular 'ol 5w-30.

Going to the 15w-40 (which I'll already have around) won't hurt anything (I think), will provide better protection under heavy use, and will clean out a bunch of the "junk" that has accumulated in it over the course of 100,000.

[ March 12, 2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Dieselfan,

If your '95 850 Turbo is a 5spd. stick, what fluid are you using in it?

The manual says anything that is similar to Volvo synthetic transmission fluid, but gives no other guidelines.

I know some manuals use ATF and some use gear oil.

Thanks,

Justin.

Didn't mean to infer that your 850 was leaking
smile.gif
, when I read your original post it came across as the Volvo at 100k needs a heavier oil, but as with most communication problems, it can be on the receiver end! Sorry to say our 850 is an A/T and not manual. I rechecked our owners manual and saw the Volvo Synthetic fluid spec # for required quality for your M/T application. Nice of them to not even state the correct gear oil weight in the manual - dopes!

You might want to cruise over to The Volvo Brickboard to see what other Volvo owners are using for MT fluid.

DF

[ March 12, 2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: diesel_fan ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back