Any Polish/Cleaner Work w/Out Buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Detailers,

I am trying to increase my knowlegde in the detailing aspect of vehicle care. I know it is not just about wax and done. Unfortunately I am just learning this now and I have some water etching and swirls on my black '09 Altima. it looks beautiful from a distance but up close you see the defects. I am going to seal and get a good carnauba wax but almost every good polish/cleaner I come across needs to be applied with a buffer.

Is there any good product to prep for sealing and at least deal with the water etching and swirls without a buffer? I have been using Collinite 476s topped with 845 Insulator wax. Notice that it is very strong smelling and leaving a slight haze. It just doesn't have that "pop".

Poorboys and Pinnacle Products were what I was looking for a sealant and carnauba.

Thanks!!!

Chubbs

Last edited:
If you're getting swirls marks then you have wrong pad or dirt causing miniscule grooves in paint which actully dulls the look. You can put on wax/sealer, but after it's gone, marks reappear. I use a Sears orbital polisher, with a soft lambs wool applicator or fine cotton. To get out grooves cause by dirt / cleaning etc. you'll need to rub out with a 3M extra fine rubbing compound first like Finesse II. Then apply fav wax or whatever. I've used many sealers, Meguiars, Turtle, 3M whatever, and I can say that no matter what after just a few weeks it actually evaporates. Ever notice how soon that happens, seems to dissappear when you just waxed it?
BTW, knowing how to buff out a car is an art, so if you feel uncomfortable you can always pay to have it detailed, then keep the finish up from there. Sometimes you might have to wet sand with 1500 or 2000 then rub out with gradual compounds to get that glass look prior to wax. depends on the damage.

Last edited:
Meguiar's Ultimate Compound will work by hand. Do the entire car just once by hand and you'll be looking into buying a machine. Duragloss #105 would be my choice of sealant. They call it total performance polish but it is a sealant with light cleaning properties. Easy on, easy off, great look, lasts about six months.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Do the entire car just once by hand and you'll be looking into buying a machine.

I did part of my hood once by hand, and that was enough to convince me to get one.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Do the entire car just once by hand and you'll be looking into buying a machine.

I did part of my hood once by hand, and that was enough to convince me to get one.

Not to mention it does a far better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back