Any new cars/SUVs under $30K worth getting?

Honda Civic hatchback in Sport trim with 6-speed manual transmission.
The 2.0-L engine is port-injected and naturally aspirated.
Fun to drive, economical, reliable, and very space-efficient for the external footprint.
Only concern is availability on the lots.

How is the CVT in these things?
Have some personal experience, but no ownership experience. When I drove countless Crosstreks for CarMax, the CVT felt good, especially compared to CVTs of countless Rogues/Altimas that I drove at the same time... But the gearhead in me kept screaming that 6MT is always better. Long-term there seems to be very little issues with the Subaru CVTs, as compared to everyone else. (looking at you Nissan/Mitsubishi) Trans fluid coolers seem to be extremely beneficial to CVTs. Almost even more beneficial to CVTs than they ever were to normal automatics.

I don't know, but by "decent amount of interior space" I did not mean a 2-seater. :)
With a cloth roof, you have unlimited space with the touch of a button!

If I were you, I'd keep the BMW. That is, as long as it's not to rusty. BMW from this generation (e46, 339, e38) are something special. Ergonomics went downhill from then, looks too...

Honda Civic hatchback in Sport trim with 6-speed manual transmission.
The 2.0-L engine is port-injected and naturally aspirated.
Fun to drive, economical, reliable, and very space-efficient for the external footprint.
Only concern is availability on the lots.
Yes, there are 0 near me.

With a cloth roof, you have unlimited space with the touch of a button!

If I were you, I'd keep the BMW. That is, as long as it's not to rusty. BMW from this generation (e46, 339, e38) are something special. Ergonomics went downhill from then, looks too...
If he has owned it for 20 years, so he might be ready for a change.

My daily is an E90, and I much prefer it over most newer cars. We have a CX5 2.5T which is quite nice, but I still like the old BMW.

Requirements:
- daily driver
- decent amount of interior space
- reasonably reliable
- not super boring to drive
- preferably no tiny 1.5-liter engine
- FWD/RWD/AWD
- manual or automatic
- available on dealer lot

My old 530i is starting to fall apart, costing me more and more to keep on the road. I'm starting to look for a basic daily driver to hold me over a few years before the supply chain stabilizes and I can get something more fun again.

I was thinking Nissan Altima, but I don't think I can get one in this budget.

Why does it have to be on a dealer lot? Not interested in buying from a private seller?

There might still be a leftover Dodge Journey on the lot :sneaky:

The Camry doesn't use turbos :unsure:

Maybe a leftover 2022 ILX might be within your budget, too (the ILX uses the 2.4L, while the Integra that will replace it uses a turbo)

Requirements:
- daily driver
- decent amount of interior space
- reasonably reliable
- not super boring to drive
- preferably no tiny 1.5-liter engine
- FWD/RWD/AWD
- manual or automatic
- available on dealer lot

My old 530i is starting to fall apart, costing me more and more to keep on the road. I'm starting to look for a basic daily driver to hold me over a few years before the supply chain stabilizes and I can get something more fun again.

I was thinking Nissan Altima, but I don't think I can get one in this budget.
Turbo Subaru Outback.

A base Camry LE has an msrp of $27500. That would be my first choice. The hybrid version has a long wait. If you want blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert that's in a package for around 1400 I believe. Probably worth it. Camry will probably be completely redesigned next year.

It has sufficient power, handles fine, looks good, reliable, still a top buy. There's the SE version if he wants something a little more sporty that starts under 30k. Still gets great reviews.

It has sufficient power, handles fine, looks good, reliable, still a top buy. There's the SE version if he wants something a little more sporty that starts under 30k. Still gets great reviews.
That statement is the equivalent of trying to sell Chipotle as a premium dining option.

The problem with new is lack of availability. A 2020 or 2021 Mazda 6 Signature, Grand Touring or Carbon Edition with the 227HP, 2.5L turbo would be my choice. Should be fun to drive, luxurious, relatively fast, reliable and meet your requirements, and be under $30K. Shouldn’t be that hard to find. Sleeper daily driver IMHO.

Last edited:
Back