Any Metal Music Fans Out There?

I miss going to Rock concerts !!!!!!
I saw Metallica in Toronto quite a few years ago now. Unfortunately, I did not have great seats and so while the show was amazing, it wasn't that incredibly intimate experience that one likes to have.

I've seen: k0rn, Rammstein, Disturbed, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch and of course all the obscure openers for each.

Amusingly, when I saw Five Finger Death Punch, which was at the Sound Academy (the Docks) in Toronto, they were the opening band for k0rn. Pretty sure I've told this story on here before, but most of us were there for 5FDP, not k0rn. I had already seen them, years earlier, on the "Got the Life" tour and I, at the time of the 5FDP concert, considered them in decline. They'd produced no notable new material and the show seemed like they were just going through the motions.

My friends and I were like 4th row. The Sound Academy is kinda like a big school gymnasium skirted with bars with seating at the back. It's the ultimate intimate venue and we were extremely close to the stage, which was only a few feet above the floor.

It was incredible. Best concert I've ever been to. The energy, the authenticity, it was electric.

Half the audience left after 5FDP finished, didn't even wait to see k0rn, they had seen what they came for.

Not great audio, but this was the show, we'd be in the left quadrant there just below the sculpted speaker assembly:

I saw Metallica in Toronto quite a few years ago now. Unfortunately, I did not have great seats and so while the show was amazing, it wasn't that incredibly intimate experience that one likes to have.

I've seen: k0rn, Rammstein, Disturbed, Metallica, Five Finger Death Punch and of course all the obscure openers for each.

Amusingly, when I saw Five Finger Death Punch, which was at the Sound Academy (the Docks) in Toronto, they were the opening band for k0rn. Pretty sure I've told this story on here before, but most of us were there for 5FDP, not k0rn. I had already seen them, years earlier, on the "Got the Life" tour and I, at the time of the 5FDP concert, considered them in decline. They'd produced no notable new material and the show seemed like they were just going through the motions.

My friends and I were like 4th row. The Sound Academy is kinda like a big school gymnasium skirted with bars with seating at the back. It's the ultimate intimate venue and we were extremely close to the stage, which was only a few feet above the floor.

It was incredible. Best concert I've ever been to. The energy, the authenticity, it was electric.

Half the audience left after 5FDP finished, didn't even wait to see k0rn, they had seen what they came for.

Not great audio, but this was the show, we'd be in the left quadrant there just below the sculpted speaker assembly:

5FDP

I saw them one time and will see them again!

Originally Posted by Malo83
[censored] no ! can't stand all that screaming and yelling, gives me a headache. Mother was right!
crackmeup2.gif

I like metal, but not the "cookie monster" singing stuff ... sounds ridiculous to me.

😁

I miss going to Rock concerts !!!!!!

🤟🤟

I was supposed to see Symphony X, Firewind and Primal Fear in Toronto in May but that concert has been postponed until May 2021 now. That is going to be a killer show, I hope it still happens!! All three acts are great, I just wish that Magnus Karlsson was going to be on the tour. He does the guitar work on Primal Fear's albums, but he's so busy making music for many other bands (plus his own solo stuff) that he never tours with them. He is an incredible guitarist! (one of the best in the world for sure)

I heard someone ask one time, what is the difference between heavy metal and hard rock? Would it be the beat? Lyrics?

It's so hard to differentiate between many styles of music, as some bands are a little of a few different styles. When it comes to metal, there are probably something like 20-25 different versions of that alone. I myself prefer progressive metal, symphonic metal, speed metal, power metal and a bit of thrash metal, but I don't like stuff like death metal or grindcore. I like stuff that is more melodic (I need to understand what the singer is singing!) and most of the stuff I listen to will have extremely good guitar playing too, that's a big deal for me.

Last edited:
I was a metal head in my youth, but as I have aged my tastes have changed. I still enjoy metal but I am much more selective.

Black Dahlia Murder
Amon Amarth
Lamb of God
Slipknot
Parkway Drive

Are the main bands that have stuck with me through the years.

As I have gotten older my tastes have become heavier. I'm approaching 40 and in high school I mainly listened to thrash. About ten years ago I got more into metalcore/melodeath and I still listen to that stuff today. Parkway Drive, August Burns Red, Killswitch, Bodom, AILD, Lamb of God etc etc. Cannot get enough of it.

My Big Four,
Obituary
Jungle Rot
Asphyx
Bolt Thrower.
Grew up on Pan(*ucking)tera
Megadeth, Judas Priest,Zep,Lep,Sabbath ,Exodus and such.
Gonna be 60 this summer won't listen to anything else!

Back