Any Maxlife 15w40 diesel oil fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old 87 F250 6.9 that tends to use oil. In the past, I have used about 9% max of Lucas in it, before I knew better. No harm done, being half of the 20% they suggest. It did seem to help a little, I think.

Doing an unscientific slosh test of Maxlife 15w40 in its gallon jug next to Walmart Supertech 15w40, the maxlife appears much thicker. It costs 50% more, but it would cost just as much to buy two quarts of lucas on top of supertech oil. But maxlife is 100% formulated motor oil, no added muck. Obviously the better choice.

So, I think I'm going to try to commit to only using Maxlife with no additional additives.

Anyone here having good results with it? Have you noticed it to be thicker?

Originally Posted by csandste
Not a Lucas fan at all. Don't know how you could tell the thickness of an oil by shaking the container. Similar weights should be the same. Either oil, no Lucas is my vote.

You completely missed the point. I'm not asking if I should use Lucas. I'm asking for feedback from maxlife users.

I was seeing the sloshing oil through the little semi clear strip on the sides of the bottles of maxlife and supertech. Supertech appeared much thinner.

Super Tech is a formulated oil just FYI. Never had issues with it or Maxlife in a jeep 4.0
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Super Tech is a formulated oil just FYI. Never had issues with it or Maxlife in a jeep 4.0
smile.gif

I know it is. My point was:

$30 for 3 gallons of supertech + $16 for 2 qts lucas
-vs-
$45 for 3 gallons of maxlife

If maxlife is in fact thicker, as it seems to be, it's the much better option of the two.

Only way to honestly to tell would be to check latest VOA of ST and Maxlife 15w40 on PQIA website or the VOA section here. Maybe someone who knows more about thick/thin oils will chime in
wink.gif

Last edited:
Next time I go to WM, I'll try to remember to record a video of my slosh "test". I could swear it was thicker. I slowly tilted the jugs where I could see the level in the side window. ST was much thinner. They were side by side in the store on the same shelf so they were identical temperatures.

Considering that HM oils like Maxlife claim to reduce oil consumption, the main way to do that is to run a thicker oil. So it makes logical sense that it might be.

Hmm, it seems I was correct. Maxlife 15w40 is in fact thicker.

cST viscosity @ 100*C...

Supertech: 13.59
Maxlife: 16.11

The highest "value should be" for both is 15.3. So maxlife is thicker than it normally should be for 15w40. This is based on two Blackstone virgin oil tests I found. Sources attached below. Sorry, I couldn't get a higher rez of the Maxlife one. It's the one I linked to above in another thread.

850ue6g.jpg

Screenshot_20181230-230611_Chrome.jpg

I've used Maxlife 10w40 in several "beaters". I also use it in all my lawn equipment.
I'm currently running Maxlife 10w30 in my 1998 F-150, 2004 Nissan Xterra, and 2004 Lexus RX-330

I haven't used the 15w40 diesel oil, but from my experience Maxlife is extremely good at what it does for the price.
I'd continue to run it for several oil changes as it should clean up whatever is left behind by Lucas.

Maxlife is pretty much my go-to oil.

Originally Posted by Cubey
smile.gif

-vs-

If maxlife is in fact thicker, as it seems to be, it's the much better option of the two.

While the Maxlife is thicker than the Supertech, I doubt it would stop consumption to any large degree. How much does it consume? $10 for an extra gallon of Supertech for top-up is less than the 2qts. of Lucas at $16 and it is properly additized oil unlike the Lucas.

Originally Posted by umungus1122
smile.gif

-vs-

While the Maxlife is thicker than the Supertech, I doubt it would stop consumption to any large degree. How much does it consume? $10 for an extra gallon of Supertech for top-up is less than the 2qts. of Lucas at $16 and it is properly additized oil unlike the Lucas.

I don't expect consumption to stop, simply slow down. Based on the VOA, its possible it might. The other additives in the oil package might help too.

I'm also replacing my air filter soon, which might be why my oil consumption is high right now. The miles have really gone by, I kind of forgot. Its been about 13k miles. Other IDI owners seem to replace it in about 7k miles due to air restriction and resulting increased oil consumption.

It cost me 4 cents for a Fram air filter on Amazon with free shipping, after tax, minus $10 in points/gift card balance. It'll be here in a few days.

I have not had any leak fixing luck with any oil besides M1 HM with the RMS on my Jeep.

Certainly worth a try though. It also seems a bit expensive to me.

Hmm, it seems I was correct. Maxlife 15w40 is in fact thicker.

cST viscosity @ 100*C...

Supertech: 13.59
Maxlife: 16.11

The highest "value should be" for both is 15.3. So maxlife is thicker than it normally should be for 15w40. This is based on two Blackstone virgin oil tests I found. Sources attached below. Sorry, I couldn't get a higher rez of the Maxlife one. It's the one I linked to above in another thread.

Here is a more modem VOA instead of a 11 year old VOA from PQIA.

http://pqiadata.org/SuperTech15W40.html

On the Valvoline website, Maxlife 15w40 CST when hot is 14, VWB 15w40 is 15. Maxlife when cold, 108, VWB when cold, 114.
So in both cases, VWB 15w40 is slightly thicker.
Thick doesn't always tell the whole story on consumption though, depending on what's going on.
I'd certainly give Maxlife a try for it's seal swell characteristic.
Lucas isn't getting you anything positive, you can leave it on the shelf for the less informed.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I have not had any leak fixing luck with any oil besides M1 HM with the RMS on my Jeep.

Certainly worth a try though. It also seems a bit expensive to me.

$15 a gallon is expensive? I have been using Delvac at around $12-13 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back